Twsbi Diamond 530 With A Pelikan Nib

Malcy

M625 UPDATE:

So as predicted there were some flow issues after I left the pen upright for some time. These can be corrected by twisting the piston up, but that gets to be quite frustrating. Instead, I took to storing the pen cap down, which worked rather well. I was able to start writing without trouble or interrupted flow to a wet broad nib, so I think that may be a solution, much like it is with some eyedroppers. That's all for now--I'll report back after a longer writing session to see if there are any more issues that merit investigation.

Now on to the pictures:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• watch_art

• mori45

• Malcy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there's definitely too much gap between the nib and feed. So it'll write just fine for a while and then the ink will stop flowing b/c it can't travel the gap. if this were an ebonite feed you could heat set it, but plastic, you can either bend the nib way down or just go to a different nib. or you could carve away from your feed so that the nib fits over the top of it better. that's probably pretty tough to do though.

also looks like your nib is WAY out of line. the tines look all tweaked apart form each other. how is it writing? toothy? scratchy? smooth?

there's definitely too much gap between the nib and feed. So it'll write just fine for a while and then the ink will stop flowing b/c it can't travel the gap. if this were an ebonite feed you could heat set it, but plastic, you can either bend the nib way down or just go to a different nib. or you could carve away from your feed so that the nib fits over the top of it better. that's probably pretty tough to do though.

also looks like your nib is WAY out of line. the tines look all tweaked apart form each other. how is it writing? toothy? scratchy? smooth?

You're absolutely right about the gap--I tried resetting it a number of times but, being unwilling to bend the nib, I thought to leave well enough alone.

As for the alignment, it was either a momentary fluke or the angle of the photographs combined with an oblique nib. It's super smooth, so no problems there.

I wonder if you could put some sort of shims in the gap there to give the ink something to travel along so that flow isn't interrupted....

The TWSBI feed is heat settable. I put the end of my feed in a glass of water straight from the kettle for a bit and applied some pressure to bend it enough and kept the pressure on as it cooled. It works a treat. Much better than bending the nib which is what I did first.

I am insanely excited about the prospect of bending the feed to a rhodium plated m625 nib. Please do keep us posted!

So far, so good :thumbup:

Interesting! But why worry about being sued! It's your pen anyway...

The lawsuit would be against Speedy & TWSBI for infringing on IP, not against individuals. Lawsuits against individual users would be a great way to alienate customers, but accomplish little else.

Edited by mori45

Update: In the words of Borat, "Great Success!" I'm not sure if my heat set was as good as it could have been, but I set the pen upright for about 24 hours to empty the feed and it started up almost immediately, say about 1/2 a letter late. I'm quite pleased with the result and don't anticipate further problems, but as always, results may vary.

Yay! Did the noise feedback stop too?

Could I prevail upon you to post a shot of the whole pen, uncapped, with the m625 nib? I'd like to see what it looks like in terms of sizing.

And then I think I'll buy one. I can't find it for less than $236 USD though ... ouch!

Edited by simonerodrigue

Yay! Did the noise feedback stop too?

Could I prevail upon you to post a shot of the whole pen, uncapped, with the m625 nib? I'd like to see what it looks like in terms of sizing.

And then I think I'll buy one. I can't find it for less than $236 USD though ... ouch!

Indeed it did--it's been parked for a few days and starts up like my other Pelikans and emits no harmonic response. I took a couple of really blurry pictures, but I can post more over the weekend if they are necessary.

As for buying a nib, I'd wait til a used one comes up. I bought the one you see from a fellow FPN member significantly cheaper than new but every bit as nice.

how much longer is the pel nib over the twsbi nib?

There is just enough space to fit it in the cap without adjustment.

Wow, that is exactly what I want. Thanks so much for the pictures! I'm off to post a WTB thread and also stalk the forum. :)

Just a thought, and feel free to jump in and correct me if need be, but I used simichrome to remove the remaining gold wash on an old Pd nib and turn a a patchy two-tone nib into a silvery monotone. If kept away from the iridium, I don't think it's a risk to the nib, but I'm by no means an expert.

Might it be possible to do the same to a regular 14k nib to make a monotone nib? It wouldn't be rhodium plated, but it would be practically the same, except of course for the price.

That's gorgeous. And I have no idea about the 14K thing...

Only one way to find out I suppose...I'll work on it and post results when available.

The problem is that the only extra nib I have right now is a cursive italic that I don't particularly love. Not only does it seem a bit small for the TWSBI, but I also am not enamored of the way it writes (I now realize I'm too boring to use CI nibs all the time, I'm starting to wonder about stubs now ...). All the effort to align and reseat the feed had better result in a nib I want to use every day - hence the idea of a medium m625. :)

Thank you so much for all the pictures. I'll wait a while before buying a new nib in the hopes that one comes up on the swap board.