Lamy 2000 Vs Pelikan M200

goodguy

At last I did it, I am so happy.

For the longest time I was dreaming to compare the 2 best pens for under 100$.

Again and again arouses this question and at last I got my hand on the 2 leading pens in this category.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01600.jpg

These two pens are the Pelikan M200 and the Lamy 2000.

Both have a lot in common

1.German made

2.Piston filled

3.Ink view window

But there are differences which I will discuss in this review.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01599.jpg

DESIGN

Both very elegant pens.

Pelikan pens are well recognized, all these pens look a like and differ in small details, trims and sizes starting with the tiny 300, small 150 then 200, 400, 600, 800 and the big 1000.

They also come in different colours, the classic green, red, black and blue and then there are some special models with white and other colours.

The Lamy 2000 just like the Ford model T comes with any colour you like as long as it’s black.

It has a more modern design to it which looks very pleasing and ergonomic to the eye.

Both have ink view windows but the one on the Pelikan is much bigger and thus much better in telling the amount of ink in the pen.

Both pens will post easily and securly for those who like to write with their pens posted.

The Pelikan is much smaller but to my complete shock once you take the cap off the actual pen is almost the same size of the Lamy.

Both pens are light weight, the Pelikan might be a bit lighter but not by much.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01602.jpg

QUALITY

Clear winner here, the Lamy is by far the better pen, it looks and feels better.

Attention to details and material feels more solid.

FILLING MECHANISM

Both use pistons and they are equally smooth.

Both hold a good amount of ink.

Nothing much to add here, both wonderful!!!

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01601.jpg

NIBS

Here is where the approaches are much different.

Pelikans nibs are very standard looking with the wonderful advantage of being able to screw the nib in and out.

You can buy different nib sizes and replace them easily, great advantage for those who like to use different nib sizes for different occasions.

I never changed a nib on my Lamy and so I can’t tell you how easy it is but I heard this shouldn’t be too complicated, never the less I am sure the Pelikans approach is much easier and friendlier.

Lamy is using the semi hooded nib configuration, not very common but very effective.

The M200’s nib is made of gold plated steel with Pelikan logo on it.

The Lamy 2000 has a 14K solid gold nib that is covered with a white metal so for almost the same price its nice to have a piece of gold at the end of the pen.

Both nibs are stiff and the Pelikans XF nib is almost wide as a regular F nib its very smooth and nicely responsive, a wonderful nib by all standards.

Lamy’s nib is F and looks almost as wide as the Pelikans, it’s as smooth as the Pelikan but has much more feedback to it so for me there is no doubt I like the Lamy’s nib better.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01603.jpg

Conclusion

These are 2 pens which anyone who want a good pen for under 100$ should consider.

Both are German made, very reliable, piston filled but has different designs and small price difference.

I like the Lamy’s design slightly more because it looks fresher and more ergonomic.

I like the ink view window on the Pelikan more because it’s easier to see the ink in it.

I like the slip cap on the Lamy more then the standard screw cap on the M200.

I like the fact it’s so easy to replace the nib on the Pelikan and each extra nib will only cost 25$

The Lamy has a spring loaded clip compared to the standard clip on the Pelikan, it’s not a big practical difference but I still like the Lamy clip better.

Lamy nib is simply more fun. Nothing wrong about the Pelikan nib its silky smooth with good feedback but the Lamy’s nib is simply more fun.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01598.jpg

Bottom line, I thought I will brush off the Pelikan due to its size but it really is much bigger then it looks.

It’s a brilliant pen and will cost 20$ less then the 89$ you need to pay for the Lamy but I still would choose the Lamy in an instant.

The overall quality is better, I like a bit more the design, the fact there is real gold at the end of the pen and the pure fun of the nib pushes this pen ahead for me and I think makes this pen worth double and triple its value and for sure the 20$ extra you need to add on the Pelikan.

Respect to all

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• watch_art

• MME

• DET

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that the Pel has going for it that hurts the Lamy, in my opinion, is the lighter cap. The clip on the Lamy is just too heavy in my opinion. I've never had a pen where the orientation of the clip made SUCH a difference in the way it felt when writing posted. The pel didn't matter as far as clip orientation. It felt fine posted.

Great comparison and I agree 100%. Lamy all day long. And it would be SUPER EASY to change nibs if you wanted to. Can you even buy just the nibs though?

The one thing that the Pel has going for it that hurts the Lamy, in my opinion, is the lighter cap. The clip on the Lamy is just too heavy in my opinion. I've never had a pen where the orientation of the clip made SUCH a difference in the way it felt when writing posted. The pel didn't matter as far as clip orientation. It felt fine posted.

Funny you should say that. I just discovered recently that posting the Lamy 2000 made for a smoother writing experience for me - something that was unexpected for me.

Does anybody know how the M200, M205 and M250 compare in terms of weight?

Thanks for this comparison!

This is interesting, because I've always found the Pelikan M200 nibs to be springier and more responsive than the nibs on the Lamy 2000. Others can give more info on this.

Regards,

Anindya.

At last I did it, I am so happy.

For the longest time I was dreaming to compare the 2 best pens for under 100$.

You missed my choice...TWSBI Diamoind 530.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Thanks for your review goodguy. I'm a devout Pelikan user, but I have to say that those 14k Lamy nibs are buttery smooth and as close to a Pelikan nib as I have ever encountered.

Hello, Goodguy! Despite they are quite different pens, you could compare them very well!

Thanks for that great review!

Cheers,

Fabricio

Slight side note: I have that same Pelikan, and on the box it was called the Pelikan M201, while the little plastic on the clip said M200.

On to the review, I haven't had the Lamy yet, but personally, I prefer the look of the Pelikan more than the Lamy, even without the 14K nib. By the by, thumbs up for the TWSBI Diamond 530.

Thanks for an excellent comparison report.

Comparison report from the owener of both FPs are always a great value.

Writing sample will be a great added value.

Edited by Sunburst

Nice comparison of two similar (piston filling) pens in a similar range of prices. One year ago I would have said that the best pen out there below $100 is a Lamy 2000, followed close by a Pel M200. However, there is one more pen that has come into the scene that might be worth to include in the comparison, the TWSBI. It is piston filling and it costs less than half than the Pelikan M200, even if it is the same size as the M800 !. I am very surprised how good and dependable this pen is. Now I am convinced the TWSBI Diamond is the BEST pen available, not only below $100, but below $50 as well. Should this pen be branded by Pelikan it would costs five times its present selling price, no doubt.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

I do like comparison reviews and Goodguy has definitely selected two of the heavy hitters to compare. With these two pens I think you can compare individual aspects of nibs, pistons, cap mechanisms and on and on, but when push comes to shove the purchaser is likely to decide based on looks. That's where the pens are most obviously worlds apart. The Lamy 2000 is a "modern" look, the Pelikan M200 is ... I'm not sure what to call it ... a "classic" look.

Myself, I think the Lamy comes out on top. I like the look, and the Lamy nib, aside from being 14K (a treat in this price range), has some character whereas the M200 nib while competent is quite vanilla.

A couple of other observations:

I'd say since going to the all metal section the 2000 is now a medium weight pen vs the light weight of the M200.

The sweeping statement regarding quality concerned me. I think the Lamy is better at giving an overall impression of quality. It gets a very real head start with the 14K nib, but beyond that the impression is more subjective than something you can measure. I think the 2000 just does a better job of looking like what it's trying to look like. It's trying to look like a streamlined modestly priced functional writing instrument and that's what it is. The M200 while very pretty can look a bit cheesey if your suspension of disbelief breaks ... then all of a sudden the faux marble looks naff instead of pretty, and the overly yellow gold plated nib looks blatantly plated instead of gold. The M200 is trying to look a little higher end than it actually is, and that can detract from the impression of quality it gives. However, if quality is in terms of tolerances and longevity ... I'd hesitate to declare a winner without backing data ... or at least three really entertaining anecdotes :)

Edited by rollerboy

For what it's worth, I, and several others on this forum, have experienced brassing on Pelikan m200 nibs. Some of the m200 nibs are plated extremely thinly and the plating is prone to wearing off.

I call mine a redneck two-tone :)

edit: Here are a few links regarding the plating loss:

http://www.fountainp...showtopic=93318

http://www.fountainp...likan-m200-nib/

Edited by PianoMan14

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

I have no problem with posting my TWSBi. In fact, it's my preferred way of using it.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

So, where might we find the L2K for $89? Curious... :)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7AlUqveS3BY/TCVyeRV5evI/AAAAAAAAAQU/H5N_-dpY7cA/s144/Aubrey%20on%20plaid%20paper_sm.JPG

Check out my wish list on my profile.

So, where might we find the L2K for $89? Curious... :)

I'm getting one for Christmas and it was ordered through Pengallery.com and ended up being $105 shipped. I believe Melpens.com also has the 2000 for the same price.

I'll add another vote for the TWSBI which is quite simply exceptional value for money. However, the lack of nib options when compared with the Lamy 2000 would be (for me) it's achilles heel in a straight fight between the two. As such, a BB L2K is still very much on my hit-list (unless the V700 addresses this!! ;) ).

"Go on doing with your pen what in other times was done with the sword" - Thomas Jefferson, 1796.

Current lineup in play:

PELIKAN 400NN (OB) & (F) M600 (M), AURORA 88 (M), CROSS ATX (M) TOWNSEND (M), OSMIROID 75 (M), TWSBI 530 (F),

+ Lamy 2K: the nib is generously wide and very smooth (I like medium nibs)

+ Pel 200: you can buy it from Richard Binder, who tunes the nibs. My Binderized 200 has a softness when the nib touches paper

+ L2K shape is superb looking, but

- L2K: the brushed steel section is slippery. I finally gummed mine with some nail polish, and that helps, but

+ Pel 200 for the "collar" at the bottom of the section

- grip on both: L2K's "fingers" are irritating; on the Pel 200, my index finger runs across the threads. Also irritating.

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Great idea to compare these two, though I think the 2000 is aimed at a slightly higher level in terms of materials (makrolon versus acrylic, gold nib versus thin plating). I love them both but I reach for the Pelikan first. To me the nib of the Pelikan seems more springy by comparison and I find it more comfortable to hold. But not always. Simple, traditional piston filler versus a masterpiece of design. Two great pens.