Esterbrook Price Explosion On Ebay

watchin

I've noticed people willing to pay more for an unknown pen on ebay than they will here in the market place or in person at a show or meeting.

I was recently told $40 for a restored red LJ with a 9556 nib (new) in it was way to much.

T

it's more than these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Esterbrook-Model-LJ-Fountain-Pen-/290519371256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a44dcdf8

9550 nib, and they are restored too! ;).

edited: no affiliation

Ya lost me. The ebay pen is 42.99 and shipping.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watchin

• Gobblecup

• FarmBoy

• kathleen

I recently won my first "New" Esterbrook from a top rated seller, not sure if i did ok

$30 + $5 for shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=190491283456&si=ZOnvrjsARTxtsY6f1BjmImBDhx8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123

I am yet to receive the pen ( expected arrival today ) can't wait to hold it in my hand

Cheers

Chances are you'll love it, and more of it's siblings will follow. The price seems fair to me for a "ready to write", enjoy it!

I love the pen , hunting for a flex nib and it would become my "daily" use pen soon

Last weekend I noticed several restored Esties from Applejim going for around $50 each...that seems painfully high.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Just won auctions overnight for Bell Systems J in good condition and a restored gray SJ with 2556 nib. Not including the reasonable shipping charges, I scored each pen for $10, so less than $30 total has bought me two "new" pens. I'm starting to realize the addiction. Time to slow down and get focused!

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

Just won auctions overnight for Bell Systems J in good condition and a restored gray SJ with 2556 nib. Not including the reasonable shipping charges, I scored each pen for $10, so less than $30 total has bought me two "new" pens. I'm starting to realize the addiction. Time to slow down and get focused!

Fair warning: you probably can't pause until you have at least one J, LJ, and SJ in blue, green, red, copper, silver-gray, and black. Then you will need to think about an assortment of nibs unless, like me, you are fanatic about 9668s. Then you face the question of the doctor/nurse pen...which I think is a handy size (SJ length, but fatter). Then the beautiful pastels. Then the Dollar pens, and the larger, late-model, squeeze-fillers.

Sorry...there are just too many, but if you keep finding $10 Esties, why stop? (yes, it is an addiction of sorts)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I recently won my first "New" Esterbrook from a top rated seller, not sure if i did ok

$30 + $5 for shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=190491283456&si=ZOnvrjsARTxtsY6f1BjmImBDhx8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123

I am yet to receive the pen ( expected arrival today ) can't wait to hold it in my hand

Cheers

Chances are you'll love it, and more of it's siblings will follow. The price seems fair to me for a "ready to write", enjoy it!

I love the pen , hunting for a flex nib and it would become my "daily" use pen soon

Flex in an Estie is relative, I have one of the flex nibs (9128) and it's not as flexy as even a Noodler's flex, but it is far more flexy then, say a 9556 :P I'd love to try a 9788 or a 9048, but I think I'd have better chances finding a set of dentures for a hen...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I was just surfing E-bay, :blink: I guess that isn't the place for a quick cheap Estie fix, at least for now...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif

I was just surfing E-bay, :blink: I guess that isn't the place for a quick cheap Estie fix, at least for now...

For a restored Estie J, SJ or LJ with an average nib, say a 2556, anything around $30 is, IMO a good deal. There was a nice restored copper J with a nice nib that sold for that yesterday. But those deals are few and far between these days.

For a restored Estie J, SJ or LJ with an average nib, say a 2556, anything around $30 is, IMO a good deal. There was a nice restored copper J with a nice nib that sold for that yesterday. But those deals are few and far between these days.

My point exactly... :ltcapd:

I managed to pick up my first Estie on the Bay yesterday. It's a restored green SJ. I paid 23.50. I hope that's a good deal, as I know nothing about them, honestly...

I've been casually following this thread.

I'd like to pose the following question: What is an Esterbrook J/SJ/LJ worth?

Lets assume you have two choices; Restored with working nib, AND the e-bay gamble.

I'll start with some data:

A replacement j-bar is ~3. Figure a used Esterbrook j-bar to be worth at least that much if not more.

New sac 2 unless you buy in bulk.

Jewels seem to be selling for over 5 each.

Barrels and caps seem to be worth 10 each if the jewel is intact.

I recently saw sections selling for 7 each.

We can all look up what a nib is worth on the various venues that offer them in NOS and used condition. Anywhere from 5 to 45 each.

We can also look up what a proper restoration is worth. For fun lets call a complete restoration 15 plus some postage. BUT I'm willing to skip this since most Estie nuts rebuild their own, but it is a factor for some.

Remember I was told $40 for a restored LJ (it was red by the way) with a new 9556 nib (still in the box if that matters) was 'Way to much.'

I really am curious as to what the right price is for a J series pen. Lets figure this out.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If it's restored and the nib's any good at all, then yes, that's not bad.

Of course, as you may have noticed, nobody's Estie-innocence lasts for very long once they're initiated into the Cult of Esterbrook—though there was a time where my only Estie was a green SJ, that time did not last very long at all!

Welcome to the club. We understand.

I don't know if the sum of all the parts equals the whole in the case of a fountain pen. There are some shipping, handling and labor costs associated with parting out a pen. If you started from scratch to buy and build an Estie, part by pa rt, it would cost a lot more than buying the whole pen already assembled. A standard J/SJ/LJ should go for between $20 to $30 in my opinion.

-William-

I'd like to pose the following question: What is an Esterbrook J/SJ/LJ worth?

Lets assume you have two choices; Restored with working nib, AND the e-bay gamble.

Remember I was told $40 for a restored LJ (it was red by the way) with a new 9556 nib (still in the box if that matters) was 'Way to much.'

I really am curious as to what the right price is for a J series pen. Lets figure this out.

Farmboy

I'd even add in a few more factors to the "ready-to-write/eBay" dichotomy—though all sellers and restorers are equal, some are far more equal than others. There are some people from whom I'd gladly pay a $5-15 premium over the "cut rate" and still think it a bargain. There are people who post on this forum who could resac an LJ in their sleep, replace jewels before their first cup of coffee, and have the thing looking and working better than it did the day it went into its box. A buck or two extra is worth it, IMHO, to know that the job wasn't just done right, but that the pen got the treatment that something with a history, something that had once belonged to someone and might have meant something to them, deserved. There's also the fact that some of us are lucky enough to live near stores that specialize in selling and restoring vintage pens; is it worth the extra price to try out and personally examine the very pen that will be going home with you, to watch it being restored, and, perhaps most importantly, to get to talk shop with fellow pen geeks (and keep their shops in business!)?

All these intangible things begin to add up. Sure, $40 may be way too much to pay for any ol' LJ with a not-that-uncommon nib from ArictonTenThumbs, but for all those "silly" little intangible things that you can't put your finger on (redness, the nib being boxed, having been worked on by Farmboy), that's a fair price. I don't know if I would have realized that a year or so ago, before the Estie Bug really bit me, though; it takes more than five minutes to learn about these kinds of things, which may be all the time someone who's just looking for an inexpensive pen has (or is willing to spend).

Moral of the story: there may not be a way to really nail down what the right price for an average J/LJ/SJ is, but that doesn't mean you can't know it when you see it.*

*And before anyone accuses me of raining on the parade, or confusing the complicated with the impossible—just because I wrote a disclaimer doesn't mean it's not a good/useful idea. Standard issue (blue/green/grey) Esterbrook J in good condition, non-NOS (but not worn) 9xxx nib, resaced, from a not disreputable Internet source? $40-45 seems fair to me.

[There's also the fact that some of us are lucky enough to live near stores that specialize in selling and restoring vintage pens; is it worth the extra price to try out and personally examine the very pen that will be going home with you, to watch it being restored, and, perhaps most importantly, to get to talk shop with fellow pen geeks (and keep their shops in business!)?

Well said. How does the credit card commercial go? Priceless or something like that.

Nothing beats being able to test drive a pen. Worth an easy 10-15% when I'm buying.

Farmboy

My last Esterbrook purchase was from an ebay seller; it was a silver SJ with 9668 nib for $12.50. If you feel adventurous, if you are willing to make a purchase of something you have not held, if you ask the right questions and trust the photos, and if you can replace a sac or a j bar there are bargains. When this pen arrived it needed a sac replacement, j bar was shiny bright and I have paid more for just a NOS 9668 nib. I was very happy. If I thought to sell it, I would want at least $25. I think that would be a bargain price, especially if you compare the restored Esterbrook pen to any new pen selling in that price range.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

My last Esterbrook purchase was from an ebay seller; it was a silver SJ with 9668 nib for $12.50. If you feel adventurous, if you are willing to make a purchase of something you have not held, if you ask the right questions and trust the photos, and if you can replace a sac or a j bar there are bargains. When this pen arrived it needed a sac replacement, j bar was shiny bright and I have paid more for just a NOS 9668 nib. I was very happy. If I thought to sell it, I would want at least $25. I think that would be a bargain price, especially if you compare the restored Esterbrook pen to any new pen selling in that price range.

If I didn't already have one I'd pay that and throw in a tip....

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I agree with you completely (well, the $25 might be too good of a bargain these days). You can personally take on the challenge of repairing a pen whether you receive it in writing condition or not. That counts for a lot. I doubt that you are willing to pay that extra $15 to know that it has a new sac when you can do it for around $2 and have fun doing it. I would say that the 'right' price for an Estie depends on the buyer. I like taking the chance on a less expensive pen (and the likelihood that the seller isn't sure what he is selling). Good jewels, clip and no cracks and I am fine with up to $15 on any standard J/LJ/SJ. If I was only interested in owning one Estie then I would pay more for a 'restored' pen. I do not want to pay a 'polishing' fee since I like my pens to look their age (it just seems more respectable). I feel differently about the nibs, however. I will pay more for the good nib. I don't really have a favorite barrel color (OK, I am partial to white with green jewels). I am pretty fond of the transparent ruby jeweled transitionals right now. I was hung up on the SJs for awhile then slid into the dollars but the transies with their proud 'ribbed' jewel have my attention right now. I have to say that they look great with turquoise ink coming out between their tines. It seems that things change quite rapidly but it has been some time now since I have even considered buying anything that isn't somehow Esterbrook related.

'Keep those sweeties inked'

-William-

If I didn't already have one I'd pay that and throw in a tip....

One? Are you saying you only have one silver SJ or only one silver SJ with a 9668 nib? Hahah..I bet you have more than one of both..just guessing, though. :roflmho:

-William-