Esterbrook Price Explosion On Ebay

watchin

Just in case you haven't noticed, the prices for any Esterbrook pen has more than doubled in the past eight weeks on eBay. Almost all are selling near the $40 dollar mark (the same pens you could buy for $12 in September). These are not rare Esterbrooks and 'reconditioned' or 'in good shape' or 'no damage' brings the same price. I do not know if this is happening with other manufacturers to this degree but it seems like everyone who has ever wanted a pen before now has at least $50 extra dollars in their pocket to buy one. I believe that something must be driving this market other than our awesome economy.

I checked this against eBays 'Completed Sales' category just to validate what I thought I was seeing. If you are an individual who wants one good all around pen then go for the Estie. Rarely do you find any on eBay anymore that need anything but ink. I guess that they are too valuable now to sell in any condition but restored.

The last few that I have purchased have no scratches, new unused nibs, and have been high lustre polished. They also have new sacs. Maybe it's time to start spending Saturday mornings exploring the antique shops out in the country.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

-William-

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watchin

• Gobblecup

• FarmBoy

• kathleen

Yeah I haven't been collecting Esties for long, but it seems like the prices are high for what they could be. I have been trying every chance I get to look for antique shops, flea markets, estate sales, etc. for well priced Esterbrooks.

Gobblecup ~

I recently received a full size Green J , 2668 nib, unrestored won on ebay for $17.99 and $1.75 shipping. It arrived as suspected with totally hardened sac. The J bar was clean and no signs of rust. Just a short stay in my clinic and i have another wonderful pen. I enjoyed using it today with Diamine Sherwood Green, a very well behaved ink LlsaN recommended.

I think if we, Estie fans, don't bid them up in bidding wars, we may still find unrestored Esties close to $15+.on ebay and in the wild may pick one up of $5.

Even when selling at $25+ when the Estie is compared to the modern pens, which sell for more, the Estie is a beautiful pen at a "can have" price.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

I recently received a full size Green J , 2668 nib, unrestored won on ebay for $17.99 and $1.75 shipping. It arrived as suspected with totally hardened sac. The J bar was clean and no signs of rust. Just a short stay in my clinic and i have another wonderful pen. I enjoyed using it today with Diamine Sherwood Green, a very well behaved ink LlsaN recommended.

I think if we, Estie fans, don't bid them up in bidding wars, we may still find unrestored Esties close to $15+.on ebay and in the wild may pick one up of $5.

Even when selling at $25+ when the Estie is compared to the modern pens, which sell for more, the Estie is a beautiful pen at a "can have" price.

I agree, even at the higher prices we are seeing Esterbrook remains an affordable usable collectible. I only wish I could find them out and about! That seems like more fun than hitting the bid or buy button! :lol:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

I am one of the guilty ones. I have been outbid on three nice red J size pens, with my $35 bids all being beaten by other buyers.

I DID manage to score a super nice copper J with a great condition 1551 nib for $18.

I have goen from 0 to 6 Esties in three weeks.

I too will start spending more time looking for something in the wild.

All I have seen of late are old Watermans, but the prices have been high - near $40.

Barry

I sense the same:

- more Esties on eBay have been restored

- prices are higher, though I haven't compared...don;t know if the prices have doubled but I don't see as many $15 Esties.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Several months ago I purchased a few Esties with new sacs from two different eBay sellers for less than $30 each. Now those sellers' pens go for at least $40 each. The price for restored Sheaffers has gone up as well. Maybe the economy is coming around?? B)

I've noticed people willing to pay more for an unknown pen on ebay than they will here in the market place or in person at a show or meeting.

I was recently told $40 for a restored red LJ with a 9556 nib (new) in it was way to much.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I was recently told $40 for a restored red LJ with a 9556 nib (new) in it was way to much.

There just isn't any pleasing some people! Sounds like a fine deal to me, in particular with the 9556. (If it suited my color preference, I'd be PMing you for pics!)

Several months ago I purchased a few Esties with new sacs from two different eBay sellers for less than $30 each. Now those sellers' pens go for at least $40 each. The price for restored Sheaffers has gone up as well. Maybe the economy is coming around?? B)

I think what has happened with the two sellers you mention is that enough people have finally

gotten a good look at the pics and descriptions they post and yes, have probably heard them mentioned with kind words here and THAT has driven up the price of their pens. Think about it. If you are willing to spend $25 for a pen you don't know squat about and risk having to return it and/or negotiate some amount of refund with the seller, OR you can get a pen you know will be GREAT for say $20 more, how much effort if the first pen isn't as represented before you're wishing you'd sprung out the other $20?

I've noticed people willing to pay more for an unknown pen on ebay than they will here in the market place or in person at a show or meeting.

T

I'd have said, "Oh really, so do you have one as nice as this you'll sell me for less?".

I think we all know what the answer would likely be...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I am new to this Estie shopping spree. Come on, guys, stop bidding up prices and let me build up my humble collection first. Please! :notworthy1:

Just kidding. I was lucky enough to have a healthy stock of Esties by chance. After using Parker, Sheaffer, and Cross for many years and "suddenly" roamed into the Esterbrook wonderland, I have no doubt the number of Estie fans will only grow because by comparison, the Esties have the unique simplicity, functionality, quality, and beauty (in beholder's eyes) that no other brand can offer.

For example, a Sheaffer Snorkel is a beauty, but once the filling system is starting to have problem, you either have to pay a fortune to get it repaired or let it sit in the drawer. Not an Estie, you can resac by yourself, a simply DIY process that everybody can do.

I bet the price of Esties will keep rising, hopefully not too high, unless there is a knockoff pen on the market. Seriously, I think the Estie design is so classic that some model manufacturers should take it up again...

Edited by banyanleaf

To make everyone sick, including Gobblecup, I picked up 2 J's, black, and a Sheaffer balance, brown, rougher than user grade, for $3.

Peace and Understanding

And I got a clean Gray Transitional on The Bay last night for $27 shipped. Last Sunday night there, a clean Gray J needing a new nib went for $12 shipped to just one bidder. There are still deals out there.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I saw the same thing happen a couple of years ago with Parker 51s just before Christmas. Prices stayed up high for a few months and then settled back down. The economists would call it "Free Market Fluctuations".

I have also seen it happen with books. Some years ago a particular bird book soared to over $200 world wide. After about a year (presumably with few sales) it settled down to the 'normal' price of about $70.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Ebay prices seem to be a roller coaster to me, without a lot of rhyme or reason. I imagine they'll swing the other way down the road a bit.

Tim

The only sense that's common is nonsense...

I saw the same thing happen a couple of years ago with Parker 51s just before Christmas. Prices stayed up high for a few months and then settled back down. The economists would call it "Free Market Fluctuations".

I have also seen it happen with books. Some years ago a particular bird book soared to over $200 world wide. After about a year (presumably with few sales) it settled down to the 'normal' price of about $70.

I agree...This happens now and then with Esties...and then there are periods where they sell for $7 to $12 regularly at auction....Be patient.

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

I agree with many of the earlier postings, but would also add two other observations:

1. As overall prices of some of the other vintage lines- such as Parker and Sheaffer- have risen, I wonder if a lot of people who used to shun Esterbrook have become more interested in the value an Esterbrook offers; thus increasing the potential bidding pool on any given eBay auction.

2. I think the increased use of sniping programs on eBay and other online auctions has raised the general price level of the more "popular" items on eBay. While I don't do a lot of eBay these days, I've noticed that the last 20 second activity seems to be more intense than it was six months ago. I can't help but wonder if this is the effect of competing snipiing programs doing their work. Good for the seller, but not so good for a buyer looking for an opportunity when the other bidders are sitting down to dinner.