Japanese Workhorse Pen?

wolf4

So the brand of that neat pen is Platinum? I will have to look into those myself, it looks nice and practical! Are the nibs typically gold for $50 - $60?

Sailor, Pilot and Platinum all make similar types of long/short (pocket pens) and yes I think they usually come with gold nibs.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wolf4

• Gobblecup

• jsonewald

• alvarez57

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am ebaying these guys right now! I found a Platinum with a Music nib! I enjoy composing (nothing special I have only been learning piano and music theory for a year or so) and I have been wanting to try writing my sheet music with a music nib. This platinum seems to be a 2010 where as the one posted in this thread was older, 80s - 90s at least?

Gobblecup ~

Good 'workhorse' Japanese pens abound in every price range.

My suggestion is buy pens made in the 1960s through 1980s.

On the economical side, go for almost any of the pocket pens. You should find good deals on eBay. I've sold them for as low as $19 each. My only caveat is to stick with Pilot as NOS converters for pens made by Platinum and Sailor are impossible to find. Go with Plat and Sailor only if you have no problem either making your own converter or using proprietary cartridges.

Explore the larger size pens of Pilot and Platinum. The Pilot E is a great pen that comes in a variety of nibs. Any of the similar Plats are good too. Go with a Sailor only is you know for sure it will take a converter or if you have no problem using cartridges only. Sailor made many of their pens capable of using a converter but, seemingly changed the internal design to only take a special no-longer made converter or cartridges.

Moving up I strongly recommend the Pilot Custom 67, Custom, and Delux. One can throw a used Myu or Murex in this price range too. All can be had for $75 -100.

As you can see, my focus is on older pens as they are of excellent if not higher quality than those produced today, come with 14K, 18K, 21K, and 23K nibs, and are greatly undervalued for what you get.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I love my VP. It's always inked. I use My Sailor ProGear a lot as well.

Of course, the VP! Sorry 'Imzadi', I keep forgetting about that pen. Obviously that would be a workhorse because of its unusual construction - like a ball point pen - the nib almost protected when writing.

My favorites are the 1970's pocket fountain pens. They are quite comfortable to use, and are definitely fine points. I nearly always have one in a pocket. The commonly available models are ~$50 - $60.

My favorites are the 1970's pocket fountain pens. They are quite comfortable to use, and are definitely fine points. I nearly always have one in a pocket. The commonly available models are ~$50 - $60.

That too is a good photo! Actually I wanted to know the name of the pen in your photo. Is that a piccolo then? Thanks for sharing.

That one is a Platinum with a medium nib, purchased last week through eBay. As far as I know it does not have a model name.

I have to second the Namiki VP as a great workhorse, and you don't sacrifice any quality either, they are smooth as can be out of the box. And one can be had from Richard Binder (although I do see you are in the UK (?)) with a custom ground nib for about regular retail price!

So the brand of that neat pen is Platinum? I will have to look into those myself, it looks nice and practical! Are the nibs typically gold for $50 - $60?

All of them I have are gold nibs. The price fluctuates quite a bit, and the stainless steel bodies tend to be more expensive, but my black body models have all been in the $50-$60 range without shipping.

As stated before, no price-range has been set, but there are great 'workhorse' pens for every Japanese budget:

$100-$200 - Sailor Realo - greater choice of wonderful nibs, piston-fill; Pilot M90 - just oh so cool, with one of the best steel nibs I've tried.

>$200 - Nakaya - beautiful looks, great writing, very durable, great nibs; Pilot Custom 823 - you just won't ever need to refill...

Japanese pens are great and they've pretty-much got every niche covered...

Too many pens; too little writing.

I have Pilots: VP's and the Custom 74 and the Falcon - all Medium nibs which are the Fine western nibs;

A Platinum music nib that I lost to my nurse;

A Platinum President M nib -stiff as a nail and boring which I ground to a nice stub;

Nakaya Medium elastic nib :cloud9:

Sailor Zoom nib.

All are sturdy, never gave any flow issues. The softest (not flexible) nibs came from the VP, the Sailor and the Nakaya.

I recommend them all (I am biased towards Japanese pens, sorry!)

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I am amazed the Pilot Grance hasn't come up yet.

Great pen, well built, all metal so robust, and at a good price. The only thing to check is whether the grip suits you: it is more narrow that the other alternatives mentioned here.

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)

I am amazed the Pilot Grance hasn't come up yet.

Great pen, well built, all metal so robust, and at a good price. The only thing to check is whether the grip suits you: it is more narrow that the other alternatives mentioned here.

Never seen it until now.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

There are 3 reviews on FPN,

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93671

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81562

and https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106778 although this latter is a silver pen, which I would not consider a workhorse for that reason

I got mine via engeika's eBay store.

Edited by mirko

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)

I know this is off topic (please excuse my rudeness OP) but I have sagged a Pilot custom 74 for $85... good price or not? And if anyone could direct me to a thread discussing and/or reviewing the Custom 74 I would love to get links.

I hope this is a good step into Japanese workhorse pens (other than my VP!).

Gobblecup ~

...but I have sagged a Pilot custom 74 for $85... good price or not?

Okay price IMHO, i have bought several with different nibs, the best price I bought for 65USD.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

...but I have sagged a Pilot custom 74 for $85... good price or not?

Okay price IMHO, i have bought several with different nibs, the best price I bought for 65USD.

Thanks for the personal example. But I do feel better not having bought on ebay and from another FPN member. The price included shipping. I look forward to it, but my Japanese grail is currently a Namiki Sterling Dragon! I have a grail right now from just about every country... sigh I am two months deep into FPs and not looking back! :bunny01:

Back to the topic at hand... I get carried away!

:rolleyes:

Gobblecup ~

I would have to say that my pilot Custom 742 with the PO nib is the one I use the most. I just got my Custom 823 back from the factory and had it fitted with a PO nib but the nib is a larger size (15 vs 10) and writes a little thicker line. It is still a great pen and is very smooth. With Noodler's ink the lines actually dry and quickly. This is not always the case if I put down a really thick wet line as from an old Conklin with flex nib.

the Japanese pens seem to have been overlooked a bit as they are not so showy as some of the European ones.

I still do not understand why Pilot does not sell a lot more pens in the US. The Custom 742 has a total of 15 different nibs to choose from! Imagine that from Mont Blanc?

I find the Japanese pens with really fine nibs are a lot more forgiving of crummy paper than other pens. I also bought a Nakaya Decapod on my trip but I don't carry it too much as I'm saving it. I had it fitted also with an extra fine nib and it is as smooth as can be. I was fortunate enough to be in Japan during Maruzen's Pen Show and able to have the nib adjusted by Mr. Yoshida. That was worth the price of admission alone. I bought the pen the day before the show to avoid the crush. I was a little disappointed in the way it wrote back at the hotel. It was not the same pen after Mr. Yoshida finished with it. He changed everything, nib and section and lots of fiddling with steam and very fine abrasive film. Absolutely a perfect pen, even on crummy paper, it doesn't scratch.

If corporations are people, they qualify for handicapped spaces

Did you have to import that piccolo from namek?

Great DB/DBZ reference. Whenever I read Piccolo, I think of that green guy.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add my Pilot VP with M nib as my work horse. I'm a cook and need something that I don't have to worry about. Heat and cold are an everyday issue and I have never had a problem spring up because of these issues. All metal body, bush button nib exposier, all makes for a one handed pen that just works while on the run.

My Custom 74 lives on my dest at home where I don't have to think about loosing the lid or having it melt on me over the grill station :P

i use all of my pens in rotation. but if i have to pick one, then it would have to be my Nakaya. it never fails to impress me, especially when i too write small and love all things japanese.

-rudy-

-rudy-

I can't get enough of Pro Gear reliability. I find the Pro Gear an affordable enough and consistent performer!

• 3 weeks later...

I know I wrote earlier, but I just have to chime in again in praise of my Nakaya Decapod writer.

Every time I pick it up (even if the last time was five minutes earlier) I'm surprised all over again by just how perfect this pen is. The finish: flawless; the nib (custom soft-medium cursive italic courtesy of John Mottishaw): forgiving and impossibly smooth; the weight: light, perfect for the longest writing sessions; the balance: perfect.

It starts every time (I've left it inked for two months, and it started right up) and the urushi, though it looks delicate, is far more hard-wearing than any other finish I've come across. All in all, I simply cannot fault this pen in any manner shape or form.

$500, yes. But the best pen-related $500 I've ever spent.

photo-4.JPG

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.