Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

Sandy1

Thanks Sandy for the 'fair hand' compliment - my hand writing is usually awful!!! (but nothing like having nice fountain pens to make you want to change bad writing habits).

Here are some pictures of the halo; It comes up as a distinct magenta boarder around the letters on a sample of this tamoe river paper i got from a fellow Toronto FPNer

. . . ✄

On Rhodia, the halo is less pronounced but still shows up mostly as a darkish boarder around some of the letters (see aSSocIAteD WitH < caps letter show this effect), but i can also see some magenta (e.g iS on the first line), but less so than the Tamoe River paper.

. . . ✄

I have only seen this 'halo' on tamoe river and rhodia (but i haven't tried other high quality paper) but not on copy paper; even then, i only see it with very broad of flexible (and very wet) nibs. Perhaps the ink has a tendency to pool at the letter edges on ink-resistant papers and the local high concentration of inks results in this halo property.

(photos take with an iPhone, then white balanced in photoshop)

Hi,

Ooo! That is impressive!

Thanks for the photos and for mentioning the specific papers used. :thumbup:

I agree that it seems the ink must be run at very high density on a smooth hard-surfaced paper.

I don't know what sizing/coating might be used on the Tamoe River paper. (I've a few doz. sheets, but haven't had the time & patience to give it the attention it seems to deserve.)

For the most part, I write with a light brisk hand, so it is rare that I generate the sort of high concentration of ink that gives any such artefact - even with Diamine Majestic Blue I could only generate the fabled 'glitter & glow' after going well outside my normal practice.

But when I do use PET in a flexi nib, such as the Waterman 52, I'll try it on the Rhodia & Tamoe River. :)

Whee ! !

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• beurling

• RudyR

Great review :thumbup: , I like this ink very much.

Is it possible to make a comparison between the pelikan edelstein topaz and the regular pelikan turquoise?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/michelim/DSC_0157.jpg

Great review :thumbup: , I like this ink very much.

Is it possible to make a comparison between the pelikan edelstein topaz and the regular pelikan turquoise?

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

Yes indeed, it is possible to compare those two inks. The Review covers many of the same aspects of the inks, though the templates are a bit different. That enables one to read across points to a great extent.

I can also provide 'same page' scans of the two inks.

Please send a PM to indicate the pen+paper you'd like to be used in the comparison.

Bye,

S1

Dear Sandy,

I would like to see the both inks in the same paper in the same fashion of this one:

SIMILAR COLOURS

Figure 9.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pelikan%20Edelstein%20Topaz/db8f5199.jpg

We have five 3-stage swabs; from top to bottom:

Private Reserve Tropical Blue

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

Private Reserve American Blue

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

Diamine Kensington Blue.

Because I`ve read some time ago that they are similar colours. Then, I wished to see what are the differences between them.

Hi,

As requested, we have a swab comparison.

Paper: HPJ1124.

Pelikan 4001 Turquoise on rows 1, 3 & 5.

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz on rows 2, 4 & 6.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pelikan%20Edelstein%20Topaz%20-%20ReScan/INK863_zpsd742d061.jpg

Bye,

S1

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Thanks Sandy, they are really very similar inks.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Thanks Sandy, they are really very similar inks.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi,

You're welcome!

Ah, Err, Hmm . . . The ink are of similar colour, (Turquoise), but they are two quite different inks.

If one reads across points on the respective Ink Reviews, the differences should become apparent. And as time & tides permit, I intend to add samples using the same pen+paper for PET as for my more recent Reviews of Turquoise inks.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 3 weeks later...

reminds me a lot of waterman south sea blue. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

reminds me a lot of waterman south sea blue. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Hi,

You're welcome!

Unfortunately, I did not have the great experience with WSSBl that most others have enjoyed. I may give that ink another go, if for no other reason to generate some comparison exemplars. (Its now called 'Inspired Blue' or something like that.)

Bye,

S1

• 2 months later...

Another fantastic review Sandy, thank you. I have this ink in a Danitrio with a stub nib. I've said elsewhere that it verges almost too much towards the turquoise for my tastes but still, I enjoy it so much that I've refilled with it three times. I'm tempted to ask whether suggesting that Pelikan's Edelstein range is the equal to or even perhaps has the edge over Iroshizuku would be considered heresy. I currently have a bottle of Tanzanite on order from Niche Pens here in the UK.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

Thanks for the lovely review Sandy, as usual! I have been wanting to buy an ink from the PE line for a while now, but your review of topaz just sealed the deal. Have one bottle coming in the mail! I was wondering if anyone can provide a comparison of PET with Kon-Peki from the Iroshizuku line? The colors look very similar, maybe with the latter being a tad darker.

I made a heart pendant for my Jewish girlfriend which if you looked on the back, you would see a Star of David on the back and had coral set in the middle of the star. I put a lot of love and attention to it AND THEN SHE LOST IT. GRRrrrrrr :mad:.

Hmmmm......

Sounds like you may lose the girlfriend.....but, hey, at least she didn't lose your fountain pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sandy, I'm still giggling over the vocabulary. I've made my daughter use these words in preparation for SATs.

• gravitas (seemed like fair use)
  • convivial (I had to look up)

However, your analysis of this ink as appropriately "peer-to-peer" though you are "Ms. Bl-Bk" is over the top "terminus inkus".

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Another fantastic review Sandy, thank you. I have this ink in a Danitrio with a stub nib. I've said elsewhere that it verges almost too much towards the turquoise for my tastes but still, I enjoy it so much that I've refilled with it three times. I'm tempted to ask whether suggesting that Pelikan's Edelstein range is the equal to or even perhaps has the edge over Iroshizuku would be considered heresy. I currently have a bottle of Tanzanite on order from Niche Pens here in the UK.

Hi,

You're welcome! Glad you like the Review and the ink!! :)

Thanks for mentioning the pen that you've paired with PET.

I think this is one of the inks that becomes more appealing the more it is used. I am reluctant to flush it from a pen after I've finished the document for which it was chosen, so that pen often becomes my 'casual carry' until it runs dry.

I doubt that it is heresy to compare the Edelstein series to the iroshizuku series, but it would be difficult to rationalise choosing one over the other - so just use 'em all, then watch the sequence in which the bottles are emptied. :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1

Sandy, I'm still giggling over the vocabulary. I've made my daughter use these words in preparation for SATs.

• gravitas (seemed like fair use)
  • convivial (I had to look up)

However, your analysis of this ink as appropriately "peer-to-peer" though you are "Ms. Bl-Bk" is over the top "terminus inkus".

Hi,

I'm always glad to provide a grin - even if it was unintentional. And I'm chuffed that my IRs are a source of material for SAT preparations. :)

(I thought it was more than enough that the IRs have off-label use to alleviate symptoms of insomnia.)

Yes, well, perhaps instead of using 'peer-to-peer', 'amongst peers' may be preferred. :P

Bye,

S1

I had not thought Pelikan turquoise and Topaz enough alike to even think it much less compare.I'd need to free up two similar pens....

will take a while...only have one cartridge Pelikan pen to go with my vintage Pelikan Turquoise cartridge...

It is something to do, that escaped me the first time.

When I turn blue...got to turn purple first. :unsure:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Great Review! Your ink reviews are very original and unique which I really like. I kinda get sick of reading scales all the time and want to know the characteristics of the ink that make it special or not so special which you do a great job at. I just picked up Ajisai from the Long Island Pen Show and am waiting for my Ama-iro and Asa-gao but I think I'm definitely going to have to pick up a bottle of this. One can never have enough blue inks. Nothing has been able to get me off of my Kon-peki but I think this might give it a run for it's money.

I had not thought Pelikan turquoise and Topaz enough alike to even think it much less compare.I'd need to free up two similar pens....

will take a while...only have one cartridge Pelikan pen to go with my vintage Pelikan Turquoise cartridge...

It is something to do, that escaped me the first time.

When I turn blue...got to turn purple first. :unsure:

Hi,

I agree that it can be quite a surprise when one comes across inks that look very much alike - I recall my experience when the similarity of PR Cosmic Cobalt to Herbin Eclat de Saphir became evident.

As ever, that makes a person look more closely at each ink in terms or appearance, performance, writing experience, etc. Only too often the devil is in the details, and those can easily shape one's preferences; let alone how an ink dances with one's own pen/s & paper/s.

Too many choices - most of them between very good inks!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the review,Sandy! Pelikan Edelstein Topaz is a beautiful

shade,similar to Noodler's Ottoman Azure Blue,which seems to be

non-existent these days. For me,it will replace it--it's one of my fav-

orite shades of blue!

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.