De La Rue Onoto

Arnav

I was no less surprised to find it was so different from my others.

Rod (back to front in the photo) is broken in the threads at both ends. There is still a piece inside the turning knob which I will worry about later. It was already broken at the plunger end with only the central ring of the old washer remaining. It came apart under less than usually possible stress at the knob end. However, I could in theory re-use it. There is enough thread in each case. The rod also has a curve in it, about a 2 mm static deflection. I am expecting to replace it.

Yes, there is a plunger cone as you can see in the photo below. Plunger cone (i.e. it has a shutoff) and attachment piece for the cone and washer are in fine condition. Dimension for the rubber seal inner appears to be 3.1 mm, which I believe to be standard? A 7.65 mm washer fits it, just not comfortably in the barrel.

The pin in the photo is from the plunger cone. The one in the plunger knob was broken when removed, coming out in two bits.

fpn_1587864177__2502_parts.jpg

Nib is No 2. The pen once had a clip. If you blow up the photo you can see a broken section in the clip ring at bottom of the cap. Whoever owned the pen originally was a serious biter who did not post, as one can see on the plunger knob.

eta: missing word

Edited by praxim

X

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• Custom Pen Parts

• wimg

• Beechwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi again

Thanks for the photographs they are really useful.

I have attached some photos for you to look at. I make these seals for Onoto which they currently use on the plunger unit currently on sale which I also designed.

On the dimensions drawing could you pay attention to the 1.68 size and measure your plunger with the pin in to see if it needs modifying on my washer along with the outside diameter. I also added a photo of the complete seal with a flat back to sit on your plunger.

The rod is no problem I can make any length to want.20200430_165547.jpg20200430_165234.jpg

Hi again

Thanks for the photographs they are really useful.

I have attached some photos for you to look at. I make these seals for Onoto which they currently use on the plunger unit currently on sale which I also designed.

On the dimensions drawing could you pay attention to the 1.68 size and measure your plunger with the pin in to see if it needs modifying on my washer along with the outside diameter. I also added a photo of the complete seal with a flat back to sit on your plunger.

The rod is no problem I can make any length to want.

I believe this is the measurement you are seeking?

fpn_1588382873__2502_plunger_assy.jpg

The bit of paperclip in a dowel (a vital repair tool) is 0.9 mm and appears to fit neatly into the gap in question and is consistent with attempts at direct measurement (awkward owing to the raised back section), so well under 1.68 mm.

I can always re-pin the plunger at another point to suit a washer.

X

Nice one

Just one more question then I will get on and make it

On the plunger part that screws onto the rod, is the face flat or does it have a groove in it

The reason I ask is that you said my washer fit your plunger. Of course my washer has a raised area which fits inside a standard Onoto part.

Getting there........

Nice one

Just one more question then I will get on and make it

On the plunger part that screws onto the rod, is the face flat or does it have a groove in it

The reason I ask is that you said my washer fit your plunger. Of course my washer has a raised area which fits inside a standard Onoto part.

Getting there........

The face is not flat. It has a recess around the shaft, and on a repeated test the washer protrusion fits neatly into it. Internal diameter and protrusion of the standard cup washers are correct for this pen.

X

I'm loving this thread! Custom Pen Parts :notworthy1:

Edited by ralfstc

• 9 months later...

I have an Onoto minor with flex, and I wondered whether instead of repairing the plunger, it wouldn’t be possible first to apply silicone to the thread and to screw down the blind cap, then unscrew and remove the section from the body so as to be able to syringe the ink into the body past the plunger cone; then to screw back the section and use the pen almost as an eye dropper? I suppose there could be a burping issue as the body is very light, but how does the plunger system avoid burping? Does the plunger cone regulate ink flow?

regards

Dupontdelamare9F0B37EE-6605-4056-BF62-E9CE114845D4.thumb.jpeg.cbeae624ca76d0a1c2372a187023c09f.jpeg

Before trying the injection method, I put silicon grease on the old dried out cone, but I didn’t achieve the bell note sound which tells one that enough ink has been sucked up. There was some ink take up, but I felt not enough, so I resorted to the injection method. Although the presence of silicone grease made it more difficult, at least enough ink went into the body to allow writing on and off during the evening, and it was still not dried out. This is definitely better than using it as a dip pen; although successful restoration to the piston method would be far more satisfying. I will have to consider that.

regards

Dupontdelamare