Namiki Blue!

kiki

Hullo!

I've been lurking for some time now but have yet to see any writing samples of Namiki Blue. I've seen one irl but can't quite remember it now. Anybody care to weigh in on the merits of Namiki Blue ink? I love reading thoughts/opinions.

I have a pink Pilot Prera (M) inked up with Iroshizuku yama-budo and a Sailor Reglus (F) inked up with Iroshizuku tsuki-yo and I'm actually really thinking of converting my 05 Preppy to an eyedropper. I'm looking at Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue for this purpose because it's 3SGD over here. Cheapie!

I'm really curious about Namiki Blue though!

Edited by kiki

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiki

• mikey

• Sandy1

• Oranges and Apples

Top Posters In This Topic

Namiki Blue was, for a period of years, the only blue ink I used. It's a true blue ink - no hints of purple. I found it as trouble free as Waterman and Skrip. I love the roundish bottle.

I have some in a cartridge that I got with my VP - I concur with the above, a very smooth and well-behaved ink which sorted out my occasionally finicky M nib. Slightly lighter, I would say, than Florida Blue; fairly quick-drying and also water-resistant.

Oh thank you so much! I didn't find those in my search and now I want Namiki Blue more than ever! It's really pretty and seems a good ink.

Oh thank you so much! I didn't find those in my search and now I want Namiki Blue more than ever! It's really pretty and seems a good ink.

Glad I could help you. If you would like to look up reviews for other inks here is another link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/

Enjoy your stay as a member. :)

Namiki blue is my "go-to" blue (despite my avatar :). ) and for testing any vintage pen I buy. It's also resistant to hand oils on the notebooks I use at work an it's well behaved on cheap paper including Moleskine and copy paper. Sometimes I like a more saturated blue but if I were stuck with Namiki blue for some reason I could think of a lot worse fates.

Edited by inksmears

Hi,,

It's excellent stuff. I use it quite a bit when writing to family & friends living in damp/rainy climates just in case the letter is exposed to watery risks.

It looks quite fine - not exceptional, rather neutral, but certainly without any dead-breaker flaws that I've come across.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20Blue/INK587.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20Blue/INK586.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20Blue/INK591.jpg

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,,

It's excellent stuff. I use it quite a bit when writing to family & friends living in damp/rainy climates just in case the letter is exposed to watery risks.

It looks quite fine - not exceptional, rather neutral, but certainly without any dead-breaker flaws that I've come across.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20Blue/INK587.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20Blue/INK586.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20Blue/INK591.jpg

Bye,

S1

Oh very, very edifying! It really does look very smooth and dependable! I like that there's some shading, it's interesting. Did you break this review out just for my request? I can't be more pleased! I recognise your handwriting. In fact, you were the one who pushed me (figuratively) to getting the Pelikan Royal Blue! You're a gem. :)

Edited by kiki

Namiki Blue was, for a period of years, the only blue ink I used. It's a true blue ink - no hints of purple. I found it as trouble free as Waterman and Skrip. I love the roundish bottle.

I have to admit that the bottle design is yet another factor in its favour.

It's an excellent neutral blue ink that's extremely water resistant and fade resistant.

You had me at 'excellent neutral blue ink'!

It's an excellent neutral blue ink that's extremely water resistant and fade resistant.

You had me at 'excellent neutral blue ink'!

To be honest, I don't use it often because it's kind of boring, but if you want a blue workhorse ink, it's a real gem. (My workhorse tends to be Noodler's black, and I prefer more interesting blues like Ottoman Azure if I'm in a blue mood, but color choice is extremely personal and there are no right answers. By workhorse I mean: fairly quick to dry, non-smearing, non-feathering, writes on anything, water resistant, fade resistant, appropriate for any occasion.) If I had to pick just one ink, and I wanted it to be blue, this would probably be the one.

As I have mentioned in many of my posts, Namiki Blue is my go-to ink (and the only ink I currently own). It is a true blue and is water-resistant and fade-resistant. Also, the bottle is nice (I believe they now include a plastic inkwell).

Thanks,

Mike

inka binka

bottle of ink

the cork fell out

and you stink

I am not the biggest fan of blue (But brown has really been growing on me!), but I might just try Namiki Blue to have a well behaved blue ink available... I currently use Noodler's La Coloure Royale, because as I said I am not the biggest blue fan (as most should know its a Blue/Purple ink), but it is not always well behaved on cheap papers, and its not bulletproof like some Noodler's blue inks.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am glad I clicked and read this thread, Namiki blue may be in my next ink order! I should buy the Namiki blue just for my VP's sake at least!

Gobblecup ~

Are Namiki Blue and Pilot Blue identical inks?

Hmm :hmm1:

The only blue I have with the 'Pilot' brand are some cartridges that came with a Pilot pen. I haven't bothered to do a Side by Side, but its not unknown for there to be variations between a bottled ink and cartridges. I would not assume they are the same stuff.

So if Pilot cartridges (or Namiki bottles for that matter) are used, then one really should run their own quick tests - especially for the Smear/Dry time & wet tests. It only takes a few minutes, and boosts one's confidence about use with your own paper/s & pen/s.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Are Namiki Blue and Pilot Blue identical inks?

Yes. It is sold in the US as Namiki and in Japan as Pilot. Different bottles, same ink.

Thanks,

Mike

inka binka

bottle of ink

the cork fell out

and you stink

Is bottled Namiki Blue the same blue that comes in Pilot Varsity disposable "fountain pens"? If so I never found it to be water resistant, but then again they may not be the same.

Gobblecup ~