• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• farseer911

• arz

• bigboy

• lovelytofu358

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to get one of those in blue with a medium nib.

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

Then don't click on the link, limesally. I was feeling the same way until I saw the other pictures and I just fell in love with the cool purples, blues, and grays. I can't wait to see when Jetpens gets these in!

Too late! I looked. Hopefully people here will get them, review them, and say "these are cheap, chintzy, horrible and scratchy and will make even Iroshizuki ink look like dishwater scraped on toilet paper with a toothpick." Yeah. That's the ticket.

Pilot makes a nice steel nib. So far they are the most consistent steel nibs I have used. I have several Prera's and Plumnix and they all write consistently the same in wetness and line width. I think even more so than the 74 and better lines.

Sadly I fear this will be true, based on the Prera I already have and use daily. Which is why I am so in dread of these - there's a danger they'll be just as good.

Edited by limesally

ah... finally something that I feel like trading off my Pilot VP for.

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

Sory, I don't see it. What does each pen demonstrate? It's just a view of the inside of a cheap converter pen. !!!!! Sorry, Thanks

Sory, I don't see it. What does each pen demonstrate? It's just a view of the inside of a cheap converter pen. !!!!! Sorry, Thanks

If they are made the same way as the Current Prera's then they could be made into an eye-dropper pen with little effort.

And please show me a NON CHEAP CONVERTER... They are all pretty inexpensive, I would love to see what a $50 converter looks like.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

The name of the limited edition model (Iroai) shares the first two characters of Iroshizuku, so you're presumably supposed to associate one with the other, but the vast majority of the colors have much more prosaic names. (Two of the fine nib colors do happen to share names with Iroshizuku colors, though.)

Medium nib colors: red, orange, light green, pink, light blue, peacock green, blue, blue-black, violet, black

Fine nib colors: pink, dark red, yamabudou (wild grape), yellow, yamabuki (a kind of golden yellow flower -- don't know what it's English name is), sky blue, turquoise blue, dark green, light green, yamaguri (wild chestnut), royal blue, dark blue, white, slate gray, black

Thank you, Lineata, for the information.

I think it seems like a great way to show off the ink!

If they are made the same way as the Current Prera's then they could be made into an eye-dropper pen with little effort.

And please show me a NON CHEAP CONVERTER... They are all pretty inexpensive, I would love to see what a $50 converter looks like.

Not Pilot but Nakaya "makie" converter. 2,625Yen.

post-10737-0-71146300-1288458934.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg241/pensforfun/ultraman.jpg

If you're desperate to talk yourself out of it, this blogger points out that the inner cap is translucent-ish white plastic, which kind of spoils the overall transparent effect, and complains that the white bands and Prera name at the bottom of the cap look kind of cheap. The blogger also wishes that they'd used a clear feed like the one on the 78G demonstrator instead of solid gray.

Not that I necessarily agree, of course. :roflmho:

I just did the automatic google translation of that blog and can follow the meaning more or less, despite the crappy translation. But what is the "smelly old man" thing that some of the comments refer to? :hmm1: It seems to have something to do with the name?

Edited because I clicked the wrong link----

I kind of like the frosted cap.

Edited by farseer911

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

If you're desperate to talk yourself out of it, this blogger points out that the inner cap is translucent-ish white plastic, which kind of spoils the overall transparent effect, ...

An opaque'ish inner cap is actually a very desirable feature. The pristine crystal clear effect vanishes with demonstrators as soon as you ink them. The splatters inside the inner cap are particularly messy looking. I for one don't want to see them.

If you're desperate to talk yourself out of it, this blogger points out that the inner cap is translucent-ish white plastic, which kind of spoils the overall transparent effect, ...

An opaque'ish inner cap is actually a very desirable feature. The pristine crystal clear effect vanishes with demonstrators as soon as you ink them. The splatters inside the inner cap are particularly messy looking. I for one don't want to see them.

I, too, like the somewhat opaque inner cap, which nicely sets off the clear body. :thumbup:

I googled Prera demonstrators in the hope of finding some for sale, but all that came up was this thread. Does anyone know were to buy these and if so what they might cost.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the automatic google translation of that blog and can follow the meaning more or less, despite the crappy translation. But what is the "smelly old man" thing that some of the comments refer to? :hmm1: It seems to have something to do with the name?

The phrase that got translated as "smelly old man" is "oyaji-kusai," which literally translates to "smells like an old guy" (effectively, "uncool"). In Japan, old guys are stereotypically known to love cracking bad puns. The blogger was complaining that the play on words/characters for the name Iroai is a bit of a stretch on the part of the marketers, so the commenter was just agreeing that it wasn't the smoothest product name. Fortunately for them, the pun is lost in the translation.

I just did the automatic google translation of that blog and can follow the meaning more or less, despite the crappy translation. But what is the "smelly old man" thing that some of the comments refer to? [snip]

The phrase that got translated as "smelly old man" is "oyaji-kusai," which literally translates to "smells like an old guy" (effectively, "uncool"). [snip]

Interesting. Thanks for this amusing factoid. Made me laugh... :)

Edited to add (on topic): I've managed to hold out on buying a Prera. Now I have a reason to buy one. Or, two...

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

I googled Prera demonstrators in the hope of finding some for sale, but all that came up was this thread. Does anyone know were to buy these and if so what they might cost.

Thanks

They're for sale in Japan. Itoya had them on Sunday with a wonderful display. They're around Y3700 (doesn't not include the ink). Apparently there is only 500 of each made, so I doubt they'll hit the US. They were selling like hot cakes on Sunday. I couldn't decide which color to get as I have 5 of the Iroshizuku and 5 pens would be out of the question. But I think I'll get either a Yu-yake, Tsuyu-kusa or Yama-Budo.

Then don't click on the link, limesally. I was feeling the same way until I saw the other pictures and I just fell in love with the cool purples, blues, and grays. I can't wait to see when Jetpens gets these in!

Too late! I looked. Hopefully people here will get them, review them, and say "these are cheap, chintzy, horrible and scratchy and will make even Iroshizuki ink look like dishwater scraped on toilet paper with a toothpick." Yeah. That's the ticket.

They are actually really nice. The steel nib is different from the pilot gold nibs, but the pens handle the the ink very well. A matching pen filled with Iroshizuki is beautiful.

Thanks

They're for sale in Japan. Itoya had them on Sunday with a wonderful display. They're around Y3700 (doesn't not include the ink). Apparently there is only 500 of each made, so I doubt they'll hit the US. They were selling like hot cakes on Sunday. I couldn't decide which color to get as I have 5 of the Iroshizuku and 5 pens would be out of the question. But I think I'll get either a Yu-yake, Tsuyu-kusa or Yama-Budo.

I got as far as the checkout on the Itoya website for one with a yellow top, but then gave up. Google translate could not cope and I don't know if the sell internationally

Here is a link to the page.