Neil Degrasse Tyson's Fountain Pens?

bgray

I'm a huge fan of Neil deGrasse Tyson.

I was watching one of his most recent interviews/lectures, and noticed that he used a fountain pen to sign his books.

Watch at 1:16:40

He signs with a gold nib, and utilizes some flex. ID on this pen?

(by the way - the interview/lecture is great, if you care to check it out. Neil has a knack for making otherwise boring topics pretty exciting...)

Also, here's a different pen....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Neil_deGrasse_Tyson.jpg

ID on this one?

I have a decent idea on the first one, but no clue on the second one.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Silvermink

• Rena

• Misfit

The second one looks like a Pelikan - maybe one of the 2000 special editions?

EDIT: I think it's a Pelikan Expo 2000 Technology, pretty appropriately.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

My first thought was also a Pelikan on the second pen, and the 2000 Technology makes sense.

But - most Pelikans are flat on top, with a part of the finial matching the cap material, which in this case should be blue.

With this pen, it looks like the finial is rounded, and solid metal...but it's so hard to tell. I'm not sure.

My first thought was also a Pelikan on the second pen, and the 2000 Technology makes sense.

But - most Pelikans are flat on top, with a part of the finial matching the cap material, which in this case should be blue.

With this pen, it looks like the finial is rounded, and solid metal...but it's so hard to tell. I'm not sure.

Yeah, good point. On second thought, maybe a Pelikan Blue Planet, which would also make sense and has a domed solid metal finial.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Yeah, good point. On second thought, maybe a Pelikan Blue Planet, which would also make sense and has a domed solid metal finial.

I think you got it! This also fits him.

Take a look at the black band right at the web of his hand...this matches the Blue Planet, and the domed finial, as well.

Also - look at how the cap is bulged.

Lastly - the nib seems two tone, but more importantly, the feed is one of those longer and fat Pelikan feeds.

Thanks! I think you nailed it! I was thinking Pelikan, but I should have known that it would be a real expensive limited edition, and not a stock model!

So how about the pen in the video?

Edited by bgray

I think you got it! This also fits him.

Take a look at the black band right at the web of his hand...this matches the Blue Planet, and the domed finial, as well.

Also - the nib seems two tone, but more importantly, the feed is one of those longer and fat Pelikan feeds.

Thanks! I think you nailed it!

I was about 95% sure it was a Pel - just had to find the right one. :)

So how about the pen in the video?

Not sure. I think it's a Visconti, though - you can see the billboard clip at one point, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Silvermink

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

I was also thinking Visconti based on the clip.

Clip from the video...

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/clip_29%20PM.jpg

And here's a Visconti Voyager

http://www.visconti.it/archivioImg/vygrdemo-i.jpg

Maybe not a Voyager, but I think that it's definitely a Visconti of some type with the same clip style.

Visconti in the video from the nib close-up can not tell witch model though.

Definitely the Pelikan blue planet in the photo--good eye Silvermink!

www.stevelightart.com

I've known Neil for many years, we once even shared an office for a year.

He is every bit as great a guy in person as on TV -- I, too, am a fan.

As I recall he also had a Namiki Emperor Nightline at one time, although I doubt he uses that one at book signings!

Whatever it is, I'm against it!

-Grouch Marx as Prof. Quincy Adams Wagstaff

Brian: If you are such a big fan, you should attempt to contact him with the offer to make him a custom pen...perhaps they'll become a new Edison model called the Tyson.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I think the Visconti is a Manhattan in red celluloid.

Maybe the angle, but it doesn't look like it has the stepped cap of the Manhattan. Looks rounded to these old eyes.

gary

Gary, on closer inspection, I agree with you. I have another guess though. :) With the silver-toned trim, rounder cap top, the clip shape that has already been mentioned, and color/pattern being more swirly than striped, I now guess Kaleido. Check out this link:

http://www.pensinasia.com/new/product/visconti/visconti_kaleido_red_marble_fountain_pen_3479.html

I love the detective work that everyone does around here, it makes posts like this fun to read.

The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.