Why Is A Raven Like A Writing Desk?

This is probably the most famous unanswered riddle in literature (Alice in Wonderland) and I've always been interested in answers to it. Feel free to complete the mad hatter's question here!

For a start

...because there's a 'b' in both.

...because they both ought to be made to shut up.

...because Poe wrote on both.

Over to you...

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beak

• Kaych

• Halden

• Ernst Bitterman

Because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front!

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Ernst Bitterman

A gentleman will never sit upon either of them.

Both are smaller than an elephant.

One is foolish to entrust secrets to either.

It is painful to get one's fingers stuck in either.

The attempt to put either in one's pocket is likely to end poorly.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Because of the messes they create,

Neither is grounded. :)

I still want to make one for nib and beak but it escapes me at the moment.

Rick

Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

Because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front!

Only just 'got' this one - very good. For those similarly benighted by the raven, nevar fear.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

Ernst Bitterman:

The attempt to put either in one's pocket is likely to end poorly.

And thanks for the link to your site - also interesting.

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

• 3 weeks later...

A few more have come to light...

Because one has flapping fits, and the other fitting flaps.

Because without them, Brave New World could not have been written. (ask if you don't get this).

Sincerely, beak.

Oh dear. Re the referred site - a bit pedantic and totalitarian, inventing motives for people with whom he is unacquainted and unfamiliar. 'I am the great I am' so let me explain the faults of those not yet thinking the way I do. It's an innocent word game: calm down.

Thanks timestamp for pointing it out though.

Sincerely, beak.

Only just 'got' this one - very good. For those similarly benighted by the raven, nevar fear.

Thank you! But I can't take credit for this one. These are actually answers that Lewis Carroll himself provided as possible answers to the riddle in the introduction to one of the editions.

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Thank you! But I can't take credit for this one. These are actually answers that Lewis Carroll himself provided as possible answers to the riddle in the introduction to one of the editions.

Yeah, then it got mangled by the stupid editors. And it was never the same again. Then I learned that the entire first book was about imaginary numbers. It was hilarious.