• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stoen

• joss

• Manofadventure

• Penne Stilografiche

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi. Can Anyone direct me towards a page on Universal Cartridge Pens. Obtained a lot of Pelikan Long and Standard Cartridges, but they get cracked in My Jinhaos :wallbash:...

• 1 year later...

Hello, as of 6/27/2019 the link is dead. Any other active link? I am eager to read!

Javier

• 2 months later...

I must be rather foggy on this but I recall the rights and branding being purchased from De La Rue Pelican pens in order for Pelikan to enter the pen market, is this correct?

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:47 PM, arellano81366 said:

Hello, as of 6/27/2019 the link is dead. Any other active link? I am eager to read!

4 hours ago, stoen said:

Ten years may be much in terms of Internet time. Please be so kind to update the broken link for the sake of those eager to read, enjoy & learn, and eventually contribute...

Thanks in advance!

You can try these links :-

http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e_index.html

https://thepelikansperch.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I would also like to add this page with a rather comprehensive history of Pelikan 100:

https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/index.html

also with menu links to other historical models (100N, Ibis, Rappen...).

Yet, all the sites are somewhat inconclusive in terms of my efforts to determine the age of my 100N:

-black binde

-celluloid cap tube

-gold plated fluted clip and cap ring

-dark yellow celluloid barrel

-new logo on cap top

At some point the original nib must have been replaced with a Model 400 nib.

If someone could point me to a place with more detailed information to share, I’d be very grateful.

On 12/26/2020 at 1:59 AM, stoen said:

Ten years may be much in terms of Internet time. Please be so kind to update the broken link for the sake of those eager to read, enjoy & learn, and eventually contribute...

Thanks in advance!

It is not an update of the broken link but if I remember correctly, these are the links to the same text on the Pelikan history written by Rick Propas:

Part I: http://newpentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article06cb.html?id=368

Part II: http://newpentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article3887.html?id=372

Part III: http://newpentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_articleaf7f.html?id=380

Part IV: http://newpentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_articlefb87.html?id=383

25 minutes ago, stoen said:

Yet, all the sites are somewhat inconclusive in terms of my efforts to determine the age of my 100N:

I guess that there are people here at FPN that can be of help in this matter, if you can share a few pictures showing the details of your pen.

On 12/25/2020 at 5:59 PM, stoen said:

Thanks in advance!

Courtesy of the Wayback Machine, the page as it appeared in June, 2011: http://web.archive.org/web/20110606225017/https://www.thepenguinpen.com/pelikan/pelikan_history.jsp

1 hour ago, joss said:

I guess that there are people here at FPN that can be of help in this matter, if you can share a few pictures showing the details of your pen.

Thanks. The details are just as already said:

- deep yellow celluloid barrel

- celluloid cap tube

- gold plated fluted cap ring

- gold plated fluted clip

- black binde

- post 1938 logo on cap tube (aka “two chick logo”).

Cap top and blind cap are ebonite. The pen writes and posts nicely. I know that such a series has been batch-produced for the Taylorix company in the end of thirties, but this one has no Taylorix logo on the sleeve.

The nib is not original. It is post-1953 made and belongs to a 400-series pen (aka “fir tree”), although its dimensions are exactly the same as a 100N nib. Feed and collar are original 100N.

All the relevant details are shown in the picture:

8E6CED45-F32C-46DF-AD99-D4482B5F2A05.jpeg.65ecfc6013ed5cfdc9bce1d320edb868.jpeg

Thanks for any relevant info.

1 hour ago, stoen said:

Thanks. The details are just as already said:

- deep yellow celluloid barrel

- celluloid cap tube

- gold plated fluted cap ring

- gold plated fluted clip

- black binde

- post 1938 logo on cap tube (aka “two chick logo”).

Cap top and blind cap are ebonite. The pen writes and posts nicely. I know that such a series has been batch-produced for the Taylorix company in the end of thirties, but this one has no Taylorix logo on the sleeve.

The nib is not original. It is post-1953 made and belongs to a 400-series pen (aka “fir tree”), although its dimensions are exactly the same as a 100N nib. Feed and collar are original 100N.

All the relevant details are shown in the picture:

8E6CED45-F32C-46DF-AD99-D4482B5F2A05.jpeg.65ecfc6013ed5cfdc9bce1d320edb868.jpeg

Thanks for any relevant info.

Ok...

Your pen has a pre-1940 body/barrel as Pelikan moved to green injection molded acrylic for the barrels during that year.

What kind of a piston seal does it have? The move to black elastomer piston seals took place at the end of October 1942 and those were in turn switched to clear elastomer piston seals used in the 400 etc. near the end of the production run for the 100N due to the earlier ones shrinking. If it has a plastic seal it is a later replacement.

Those caps with ridged or fluted cap rings were available from 1938 onwards (the same year as the logo was changed).

So, a 100N manufactured between 1938-1940 with a nib that has been swapped to the model that was introduced in December of 1954? Those nibs were also used in 100N manufactured after that date.

11 hours ago, mana said:

What kind of a piston seal does it have?

It is a cork-sealed piston.

So my question is answered.

😊

Looks it might have been assembled by 1939 or early 1940 most likely. The original nib could have been a PD or a 585, perhaps even a CN. It might have been swapped for a “fir tree nib” near the end of 100N production run, or even later. The collar however is original pre-war, without nib tool notches, and the feed has a recessed middle fin. All in all, it is an elegant looking and well behaving pen, first one of this particular build I’ve come across. Maybe I’ll re-install a pre-war nib one day.

Is there a reference text on “fluted” clips and cap tube rings somewhere else than in the aforementioned Rick Propas text? I haven’t found any so far.

Thanks for helping solve this puzzle!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...