Teacher Said: "get A Ballpoint."

ScriptDuNord

All my professors get nostalgic whenever they see my fountain pen because they had to use them during their schooling in the past.

New Mexico Pen Collector's Club / InkDrop Member since 8/23/2010

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• WendyNC

• ashbridg

• RMN

You have now learned a great and fundamental truth of life. Just because someone is hired to a position, does not mean they know what they are talking about.

+1 and that is hard lesson I have learned over and over and over again

Atomic Leo

tell him he has no rights for such ridiculous demand and that you'll consult a legal counselor if and when you feel discriminated against for your writing orientation.

Killing me softly with his pen

Frankly, I'd ignore it but switch to a darker ink.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

tell him to f off

and write your next assignment in Non Repro blue.

http://www.jetpens.com/product_info.php/products_id/147

Annoys the **** out of any teacher that has to read the work critically. And while you're at it, write really small.

And in big letters at the end, write using FP in black ink, "Now can I use fountain pens in your class?!"

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

+1. And pay extra-special attention to your penmanship. If he still gripes, smile--not with your eyes--and make the switch to the ridiculous writing implement of his choosing, with the most obnoxious ink you can find. If he complains about the ink, switch to something conservative...in your fountain pen. Repeat as often as needed.

Then file a complaint with his department after the final grade is posted. (My university asks students to submit evaluations of their instructors at the end of the quarter. I would fill every inch of writing space - and guess what I'd use to do it?)

:ltcapd:

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker (attributed)

If the OP can ask the instructor/professor why he doesn't like fountain pens, in some relaxed situation where they're just having a conversation, that's fine, and maybe the OP can show the instructor other papers and class notes he's written with fountain pens. But there's no need to make an enemy out of the guy over this. He might need the instructor's backing on something more important later on--approval for a special assignment, a referral, etc. Especially if the guy is a good, respected instructor. Another lesson in life is knowing when and over what to pick your battles. Complain if you feel you're graded unfairly, but not over what you're told to write with in class. When you start working, complain if your paycheck bounces, not when you're told you can't park in the space closest to the door because that's where the boss parks. ;)

Ignorance is bliss. But change the ink colour you use to a black or something like Lamy Blue. But again, I don't understand why Waterman Florida Blue should be a problem.

From the screenplay for Doubt by John Patrick Shanley:

The older nun picks something off the floor.

SISTER ALOYSIUS

What’s this?

SISTER JAMES

A pen?

SISTER ALOYSIUS

A ballpoint pen. The students are not using them for assignments, I hope?

SISTER JAMES

No, of course not.

SISTER ALOYSIUS

I’m sorry I allowed even cartridge pens into this school. Always the

easy way out these days. Every easy choice today will have its

consequence tomorrow. Mark my words.

SISTER JAMES

Yes, Sister.

SISTER ALOYSIUS

Ballpoints make them press down, when they press down, they write

like monkeys.

Edited by Jeff L

Measure the teacher's attitude before proceeding. You have no power in this situation.

My grad school GPA was 3.98 (out of 4.00). I received all "A"s except for one "B" in an American history class taught by a Pulitzer Prize winner --- pointed out he had made a serious logical error in his book... in class in front of everyone... bad move. No one else had half as much red ink on their essays as my pages... he must have spent 4X longer working up my exam booklets.

Been there, done that. I suffered low grades in class too, for having expressed my disagreement with the political ideas of the teacher. Whenever I wrote something in my paper that he was in disagreement with, since then, my ideas were always "not clearly expressed", "not well documented", ... some kind of vague statement, and the grade was accordingly. He was smart enough to give me a mark just above the minimum to go trough his class, hence I could not question.

If I were you, I'd simply ask him politely why he believes you should write with a ballpen, and listen to his explanation. If it is a sound one, do it for your class. If you see that the situation allows it, tell him that you feel more comfortable writing with a fountain pen and offer to change the ink color, if this is the point. But do not go against your teacher, he has the power and there is not that much you can do when you meet somebody with the power and an "open mind", willing to realize that there are always two point of view in a topic: their one and the wrong one.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

this post caught my attention... :W2FPN:

what i know about it was that, people only stopped using fp's because of the price; that is; ballpoints are cheaper to buy, and are widely available; and that, users don't get ink all over their clothes while bringing it...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/cards_of_fool/handwriting3-1.jpg

if men would write like poets all the time, would we understand them?

The pen is a Regal Windsor, with medium nib. It is thicker than a ballpoint, but my writing is quite legible. So, I'm not sure what the problem is?

How did he know you used a fountain pen? Did he have trouble reading your paper? Are you sure it was easy to read? This doesn't make sense. If he didn't have trouble reading it why would he care?

Ashby

Carpe Stilo

I just took my work, as I didn't feel like questioning him about it.

The pen is a Regal Windsor, with medium nib. It is thicker than a ballpoint, but my writing is quite legible. So, I'm not sure what the problem is?

I wrote in Palmer cursive, with Waterman Florida Blue.

I'm also curious to find out what his answer is to the "Reason they stopped using 'those things'." :) [my emphasis]

First, :W2FPN:

I understand asking right then might have been a bit disconcerting. But now that the initial shock and bewilderment has worn off, there's only one way to find out what his answer/reason is: you'll need to ask him.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

I find it very strange, because unless they watch you write, how would they know if you had a FP or a gelpen, or a roller ball. Ballpoints generally are the only one you can easily differentiate because the ink looks different.

Only pen rules I've had come across were about the color of the ink. Most want blue or black if they have a preference. I use PR Blue Suede all the time in class without a problem though. My chinese teacher did comment on my attendance sheet (Teacher signature at the end of class, to show I'm not skipping), because my Military teacher wrote in red ink (and chinese custom says that is bad, because writing a name in red ink means they're to be executed apparently)

I find it very strange, because unless they watch you write, how would they know if you had a FP or a gelpen, or a roller ball. Ballpoints generally are the only one you can easily differentiate because the ink looks different.

Really? You can't tell the difference between writing done with a FP and a gelpen/rollerball?

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

A question which comes to my mind is whether the teacher saw you writing the paper, and what you were using. If the teacher did not physically observe you writing the paper, how does s/he know what you used?

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Interesting this was picked up on. From the other side of the fence (university lecturer), some of us simply are grumpy old curmudgeons and enjoy having a reputation as being such. It could well be a flippant remark that he never intended to be taken as more than that.

This would seem the sensible option. I'm a big fan of Florida Blue myself, however it is hardly the most traditional colour. I can well imagine some teachers considering it to be no different than submitting your work in green or, perish the thought, red ink.

i find this ridiculous, i mean, i use noodlers purple and green marine for my notes in school, and the teachers thought it was great, but hey, not all teachers are the same...

In a perfect world you might be able to reason and win an argument with logic but in this world you're damned either way.

Use the finest nib you've got and black ink if you want to continue using a FP for school work.

Regards,

Vince

amateur vintage pen fixer and nib tuner

"The ballpoint pen has been the biggest single factor in the decline of Western civilization. It makes the written word cheap, fast and totally without character."

E.L. Konigsburg

"The View from Saturday"

Chris