Need Advice For Pen Shopping In Japan...

indigirl

So! I am looking forward (drastic understatement :bunny01: ) to my upcoming trip to Tokyo & Kyoto. I must admit I know nothing about Japanese pens. In general I tend to gravitate toward vintage flex nibs but I'm open to other stuff too... what does Japan have to offer, pen-wise, that is not available at home in the USA? I already know I'm gonna buy some ink :cloud9: & then I'd be able to spend about $60-75 on a pen if I find something I like. What should I look for? I will print out the very handy guide to Tokyo pen shops I found linked from another post; but once I go to those shops I kinda need a clue what to look for! :unsure:

All advice appreciated.... :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• indigirl

• Tsujigiri

• AltecGreen

• mori45

I'm sure you'll have fun and probably sensory overload if you've never been to Japan.

First things first. Fountain pens are readily available in most urban areas. Almost all of the stationery stores and department stores in Japan sell fountain pens.

Second thing. Most retail stores sell things at MSRP so don't expect bargains.

I always recommend to people to buy pens that virtually impossible to get in the US from online sources. Many of the pens from the big three Japanese companies are not distributed in the US like the Pilot 742 or 743 but these are readily available on eBay and direct ordering from Japan via Rakuten. In fat the price is probably lower than buying retail in Japan. The pens that are impossible to get in the US are pens sold by small companies that do not sell overseas or many of the pens sold by Japanese department and book stores. I would recommend going to Maruzen and buying Athena ink and maybe a Athena pen.

Given the current exchange rate, your budget won't go very far. I would focus on ink. Inks are not that expensive. The Iroshizuku inks go for $18 or less in Japan.

If you like flex pens, see if you can find a vintage pre-war or wartime pen with a shiro nib. These are usually pretty flexy. You can hit Eurobox and see what they have.

You may not be able to afford a lot of the pens but the experience is probably more valuable. The moment you walk into Ito-ya in Ginza (Tokyo) and walk into the first floor and see all of the pens you will be in pen heaven and pen overload. Go to the Pilot Station and look at the history of Pilot pens.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I agree with the Eurobox suggestion, it might be your best deal in central Tokyo and it's not too far from Itoya.

He has a lot of nice vintage pen and I am sure you will find something. I've been there twice and it was a very nice shopping experience.

A trip to the Nihonbashi Maruzen is a must.

Have a look at this site

http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokyo-april-2010.html

Great resource

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

i just came back from tokyo and kyoto.you had better buy your pens in tokyo, when i ask for nakaya in the voltaire in kyoto,much to my surprise,they donot know the brand.

i just came back from tokyo and kyoto.you had better buy your pens in tokyo, when i ask for nakaya in the voltaire in kyoto,much to my surprise,they donot know the brand.

If you wanted a Nakaya in Kyoto you probably would have had better luck at the JR Isetan. Nakaya holds pen events there. You could also make the short trip to Kobe and visit a store like Nagasawa.

While at Nagasawa, stock up on their Kobe inks made by Sailor.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Nakaya can only be found in a few shops in Japan. I believe most people in Japan direct order them anyway. At the Nakaya workshop I was told to head to Itoya if I wanted to buy one right away. From what I understand, If you buy one at Itoya and you want a different nib, they will courrier it to the Nakaya workshop and send it back the next day with the nib you want. But I might have been lost in translation.

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

Many fine suggestions so far, but the discussion is about pens and stores that are dealing mostly with pens far over the $70 or so budget you mention. I, too, think that Eurobox has some nice vintage pens at reasonable prices, but note that they are open on just two days a week.

Others have mentioned this repeatedly in the past, but even if you are priced out of their range, Aoyama Shosaiken pen boutique is very much worth a visit while you are in Tokyo. You probably want to see Harajuku anyway, and it's easy walking distance from there, or Omotesando subway station.

Have fun in both cities! :cloud9:

The pens that are impossible to get in the US are pens sold by small companies that do not sell overseas or many of the pens sold by Japanese department and book stores. I would recommend going to Maruzen and buying Athena ink and maybe a Athena pen.

Given the current exchange rate, your budget won't go very far. I would focus on ink. Inks are not that expensive. The Iroshizuku inks go for $18 or less in Japan.

If you like flex pens, see if you can find a vintage pre-war or wartime pen with a shiro nib. These are usually pretty flexy. You can hit Eurobox and see what they have.

You may not be able to afford a lot of the pens but the experience is probably more valuable. The moment you walk into Ito-ya in Ginza (Tokyo) and walk into the first floor and see all of the pens you will be in pen heaven and pen overload. Go to the Pilot Station and look at the history of Pilot pens.

Tell me about Athena ink? What's it like, why do you like it, &c.? I definitely am going to get 3 bottles of Iroshizuku, just have to decide which 3 :puddle:

I do see what you mean about the exchange rate -- I hadn't checked it in a while :yikes:

I agree with the Eurobox suggestion, it might be your best deal in central Tokyo and it's not too far from Itoya.

He has a lot of nice vintage pen and I am sure you will find something. I've been there twice and it was a very nice shopping experience.

A trip to the Nihonbashi Maruzen is a must.

Have a look at this site

http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokyo-april-2010.html

Great link, thanks!

Many fine suggestions so far, but the discussion is about pens and stores that are dealing mostly with pens far over the $70 or so budget you mention. I, too, think that Eurobox has some nice vintage pens at reasonable prices, but note that they are open on just two days a week.

Others have mentioned this repeatedly in the past, but even if you are priced out of their range, Aoyama Shosaiken pen boutique is very much worth a visit while you are in Tokyo. You probably want to see Harajuku anyway, and it's easy walking distance from there, or Omotesando subway station.

Have fun in both cities! :cloud9:

Eurobox it is! & fortunately I'll be in town on a Thursday :bunny01:

I'm not sure how many pen stores my partner will be up for... she's not a pen person :rolleyes:

Thank you everybody for the advice! Keep it coming! I am looking forward to pen overload! :cloud9:

Tell me about Athena ink? What's it like, why do you like it, &c.? I definitely am going to get 3 bottles of Iroshizuku, just have to decide which 3 :puddle:

I do see what you mean about the exchange rate -- I hadn't checked it in a while :yikes:

Athena ink is Maruzen's house brand. It is available only in Japan so definitely go to the Nihonbashi Maruzen as suggested by Samovar. I've never tried it but perhaps someone else will chime in. Maruzen also has their own line of pens called Athena.

Here is some more info.

Since you are going to Kyoto, you might want to make a side trip to Kobe and go to Nagasawa. Pick up some of their Kobe inks made by Sailor.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Your budget of $70 (5,880 Yen) will not go too far with pen.

Focusing on ink as per suggested by AltecGreen is good point.

Bottle of Iroshizuku ink in Japan is 1,600 Yen versus $30+ in US.

Still you should visit pen the shops as per recommneded by Stutler's site.

You'll definitely enjoy Nihonbashi Maruzen with many interesting stationery goods

(including their original brand) that you will not see in US.

Enjoy your trip to Japan.

Edited by Sunburst

Definitely go to Eurobox. Itoya have special colors like a chrome trimmed black-brown Custom 74 (the entry model of Pilot, but nothing interesting really) and such, to what everyone else have mentioned.

But I think a japanese vintage pen, or just some cheap pocketpen with a semiflex nib from Eurobox is what I really missed on my trip. They were closed the day I went there. In retrospect stupid to put down money for modern pens at full msrp for no reason (although I escpaed the risk of getting hit with custom fees buying them directly)..

Another recommendation for Eurobox. The owner, Eizo Fujii is very helpful and speaks good English, so I imagine that if doesn't have anything that strikes your fancy, he'll be able to point you in the right direction. If you haven't been before, you might want to check out Tokyu Hands. Their pen selection is ok, but they may be a good choice for ink and paper.

If you're a carnivore, have some yaki-niku for me.

Okay, Eurobox & Maruzen here I come... :bunny01:

I spent a huge amount of time in Tokyu Hands last time I was there, but that was *before* my FP obsession renaissance, so of course I have to go back! :cloud9:

I spent a huge amount of time in Tokyu Hands last time I was there, but that was *before* my FP obsession renaissance, so of course I have to go back! :cloud9:

Don't forget Ameyoko market in between Okachimachi and Ueno station. Apparently there are good deals to be had there if you look. Sadly, I didn't when I went, so don't repeat my mistake. An added advantage is that it's got plenty of other stuff to look at, loads of fresh takoyaki and is quite close to Akihabara, which is worth a visit in its own right.

Don't forget Ameyoko market in between Okachimachi and Ueno station. Apparently there are good deals to be had there if you look. Sadly, I didn't when I went, so don't repeat my mistake. An added advantage is that it's got plenty of other stuff to look at, loads of fresh takoyaki and is quite close to Akihabara, which is worth a visit in its own right.

Indeed AMEYOKO is fun place to shop for lots of things. :thumbup:

The best place in Japan to get TAKOYAKI is Osaka.

Edited by Sunburst

OK, pretty much all the stores there are going to sell at retail price. So look for things that you can't get here. There are a lot of non-fountain pen things that Japan has that are really interesting, like mechanical pencils and brush pens. In Tokyo, you must take a look at Itoya. It's a large stationary store with everything, from pencils to paper to fountain pens. Kyoto has more of a specialty for brushes and brush pens that you can't find as easily in Kyoto. But they also have fountain pens in department stores there.

But if you're really interested in getting some good fountain pens on a budget, you should try to find a Japanese flea market. You can find lots of pocket pens from the 70's that are fairly easy to get working again (cartridge or c/c pens). They're all beat up, but will write well if you know what to look for. Last time, I got 4 pens for 3500 yen. All had gold nibs, and they all write very nicely now.

But if you're really interested in getting some good fountain pens on a budget, you should try to find a Japanese flea market. You can find lots of pocket pens from the 70's that are fairly easy to get working again (cartridge or c/c pens). They're all beat up, but will write well if you know what to look for. Last time, I got 4 pens for 3500 yen. All had gold nibs, and they all write very nicely now.

Wow, cool! I love flea markets anyway, but how do I know if I know what to look for? :unsure:

Meanwhile, I am watching the exchange rate get worse & worse & wondering if my entire pen budget is going to just evaporate :crybaby:

Wow, cool! I love flea markets anyway, but how do I know if I know what to look for? :unsure:

Meanwhile, I am watching the exchange rate get worse & worse & wondering if my entire pen budget is going to just evaporate :crybaby:

Just the normal things that most fountain pen people know but the people selling them at flea markets don't. Like intact tipping, gold nibs, etc. Hope the exchange rate doesn't kill you, because those pocket pens are one of the few writing things that are really cheap there by American standards. The cartridges and converters are cheaper there, too. Also, the Pilot pocket pens (like the Elite) tend to be c/c, whereas the Platinum and Sailor ones are all cartridges (which I just keep refilling). There's a huge variety of pocket pens, too. Some are larger, others shorter, some with white gold nibs, some with different materials, etc.

Just the normal things that most fountain pen people know but the people selling them at flea markets don't. Like intact tipping, gold nibs, etc. Hope the exchange rate doesn't kill you, because those pocket pens are one of the few writing things that are really cheap there by American standards. The cartridges and converters are cheaper there, too. Also, the Pilot pocket pens (like the Elite) tend to be c/c, whereas the Platinum and Sailor ones are all cartridges (which I just keep refilling). There's a huge variety of pocket pens, too. Some are larger, others shorter, some with white gold nibs, some with different materials, etc.

Do you by chance have any pictures of your flea market pocket pens? Would love to see them :)

So! I am looking forward (drastic understatement :bunny01: ) to my upcoming trip to Tokyo & Kyoto. I must admit I know nothing about Japanese pens. In general I tend to gravitate toward vintage flex nibs but I'm open to other stuff too... what does Japan have to offer, pen-wise, that is not available at home in the USA? I already know I'm gonna buy some ink :cloud9: & then I'd be able to spend about $60-75 on a pen if I find something I like. What should I look for? I will print out the very handy guide to Tokyo pen shops I found linked from another post; but once I go to those shops I kinda need a clue what to look for! :unsure:

All advice appreciated.... :)

Hello! I haven't seen it mentioned, but I think the most wonderful thing about looking for pens in Japan happens in the little "Mom & Pop" stationery stores on side streets (intoxicating!). Check the business area of Shinjuku (one of Tokyo city's 23 wards). I lived and worked near Sendai, in the northeast of Honshu (Tohoku), and have also spent a lot of time in Tokyo. It is still possible, for example, to find a real Myu fountain pen--in your price range--in one of these little stores--as long as "Tokyo Russ" hasn't been there first. The list of stores that you have, btw, from Russ, shows places that offer current models and, usually, at retail prices. Scores of other, great little shops are not on his list!

If you can get to some of the outlying towns or cities, you will probably have bettter luck. When you say Tokyo, I guess you mean the main city, but if you meant the outlying prefecture, too, then you will be in some good stationery-hunting turf. About thirty other "cities" are spread throughout the prefecture.

BTW, the small pen concerns that manufacture their own fountain pens produce fairly expensive artifacts and those pens, including Maruzen's special editions, are way outside your price range. (A number of Maruzen pens have been made for the store by Sailor.)

Gambate kudasai! Dozo yoroshiku!

Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.