• zaddick

• Barry Gabay

• hari317

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Barry Gabay

On 2/19/2021 at 12:18 PM, Barry Gabay said:

Split ebonite feed for 149 appeared in 1981 in Europe and North America.

How can one be so sure?

If so, how come that I got a pen with this feed seven years before it “apeared”? It was purchased in Vienna.

Hello stoen,
If you are the original owner of this fountain pen and purchased it new, I can not explain its having components from very different generations. Many of us have purchased used fountain pens with replacement parts from different eras.There are also transitional 149s from several eras. I am familiar with those from 1983-84 and 1990-91 possessing components from the end of one era and the beginning of the next.  If you purchased this pen new in Vienna "seven years" prior to the introduction of the split-ebonite feed ca. 1981, it is certainly an anomaly. Furthermore, the presence of a split-ebonite feed "seven years before" 1981 is contrary to the Montblanc advertising, internal documents, and retailers documents I have seen over the years, including documents sent to me from Montblanc HQ in Hamburg.  With all due respect for you and your beautiful 149, I stand behind my assertion of 1981 for the split-ebonite feed's appearance on the 149.  
Please send me a private message or email. I am genuinely interested in the complete background you can share about your 149. 
Best wishes, Barry
Barry Gabay

Dear stoen,   

Having re-read all of your posts, I believe your 149 truly is an anomaly. Purchased in 1974, it simply should not have had the split-ebonite feed. However, you bought it new, and that is the feed which was on it.

I sincerely beg your pardon and apologize for my excessive confidence in dating the split-ebonite feed.  Yours is the first I have ever heard of from such an early date. 

Please forgive me if my above post was offensive to you or anyone else reading it.

Best wishes,

Barry

2 hours ago, Barry Gabay said:

Dear stoen,   

Having re-read all of your posts, I believe your 149 truly is an anomaly. Purchased in 1974, it simply should not have had the split-ebonite feed. However, you bought it new, and that is the feed which was on it.

I sincerely beg your pardon and apologize for my excessive confidence in dating the split-ebonite feed.  Yours is the first I have ever heard of from such an early date. 

Please forgive me if my above post was offensive to you or anyone else reading it.

Best wishes,

Barry

I think this is an unnecessary apology Mr Gabay, particularly if this pen is in fact an anomaly as you state.  You responded based upon years of study and knowledge.  I find nothing in your response to be offensive.  You must have had some back channel communication with this poster.    

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

4 hours ago, niksch said:

I think this is an unnecessary apology Mr Gabay, particularly if this pen is in fact an anomaly as you state.  You responded based upon years of study and knowledge.  I find nothing in your response to be offensive.  You must have had some back channel communication with this poster. 

I also think this is an unnecessary apology Mr Gabay, but thank you, nevertheless. I am “this poster” and I have had no back channel communication. Was there a reason for having had one?

Nobody’s message here is offensive to me. Thanks very much for your concern. I also truly hope my messages are not offensive to anybody.

I wish my pen could fit the existing timeline theory, but it is puzzling to me why it doesn’t as much as to anybody here. All the intention behind any of my posts is in humbly trying to contribute in making your knowledge base more complete and helpful. Privately, I can live fine with such an intriguing “anomaly”.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the original receipt. 46 years ago, I was just a high school kid who earned some money and have never thought this pen’s receipt might have proven useful in making a research case study decades later.

Thanks, and all the best!🙂

Barry Gabay

Thank you,  stoen.  You are a gentleman.  I appreciate your reply.  All of us try to contribute to an understanding this great model 149. Your pen and its date of purchase provide valuable information in dating certain components of the model. I appreciate your knowledge and details about your fountain pen.

All the best,

Barry