Dating Montblanc 149s

DKbRS

This box came with a one-piece barrel, solid-ebonite feed, tri-color 14C nib pen. The filling instructions have "76" in a code which I think means that they date to 1976. (Although the chart suggests that would be a late date for a tri-color 14C nib.). A similar box has filling instructions with a "79". From what I can tell, this is the box used in the 1960s and 1970s.

I believe this box would be the correct one for your pen, siamackz.

post-91645-0-61478800-1544875602_thumb.jpg

post-91645-0-70182400-1544875618_thumb.jpg

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Barry Gabay

• hari317

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This box came with a one-piece barrel, solid-ebonite feed, tri-color 14C nib pen. The filling instructions have "76" in a code which I think means that they date to 1976. (Although the chart suggests that would be a late date for a tri-color 14C nib.). A similar box has filling instructions with a "79". From what I can tell, this is the box used in the 1960s and 1970s.

I believe this box would be the correct one for your pen, siamackz.

attachicon.gif IMG_0624.JPG

attachicon.gif IMG_0626.JPG

As I suspected. Thank you for sharing the pics and evidence for your point of view.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I think the white box is appropriate for the pre-split-ebonite resin era, though I am not sure how early it was adopted.

I seem to recall seeing a similar white box on ebay but with a different, earlier font for "Montblanc".

Here is the earlier version of the white box with paperwork from 1962 posted by iancorben in post 359. Note that there is no star, and the font is different with a distinctive "A":

post-91645-0-29221000-1544969549_thumb.jpg

And another variant with a pocket for paperwork posted by Moonshae in post 454:
post-91645-0-13949000-1544970063.jpg

Edited by entertainment

Just to get the ball rolling, here are photos of three plastic cases in what I am pretty sure is chronological order from left to right.

The more rectangular brown case has a pen with a 14C nib, a one-piece barrel, and split-ebonite feed. I would date the case to ca. 1980.

The slightly curved brown case has a pen with a 14C nib, two-piece barrel, and split-ebonite feed. It has a receipt and papers dated 1985.

The slightly curved black case is for a 146, but I assume the 149 case was the same. It has an "The Art of Writing" slogan which I think was introduced in the late 1980s. Nib is 14K, split-ebonite feed, "GERMANY" on clip but no serial number, plastic threads on piston.

attachicon.gif IMG_0621.JPG

attachicon.gif IMG_0623.JPG

Thanks for getting us started! I'll start taking these and put them into a format we can use / share. I think this will be a fun project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Like many has stated, I too, do appreciate all the time and effort invested in the topic of dating an MB 149. A treasure for a first time MB owner like me. This thread was pleasurable for me to read while waiting for my MB 149 to arrive. I recently purchased it from a member here who let me have it for a wonderful discount! Thank you, Sasa. I don't have the pen in my hand as of yet but these pictures were provided with the ad. I believe this is an 80s model? I'm new to this game so please forgive me if I've made a mistake. Corrections are welcome.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/52246-sold-mb-149-diplomat-with-14k-m/

Thanks again, guys!

Respectfully,

Phuc Do

Yes, it looks mid to late 1980s. Should have a split ebonite feed though that was not shown.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Yes, it looks mid to late 1980s. Should have a split ebonite feed though that was not shown.

Thank you for the reply and input, Zaddick. I hope it would be 1986 but I suppose we can't get the exact year or....can we?

• 4 weeks later...

I have two 149s both with the early plastic feed, one with a two tone 14k and the other with a two tone 18k nibs. These date these pens between 1991-1995.The problem is that both have the black plastic filler thread which seems to be earlier than that.

Alfredo

Some pictures as promised:

Narrow vs Wide shouldered 14C nibs, I think, pls correct me:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5307.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5308.jpg

1-piece Resin Barrel with the screw in filler:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5309.jpg

Clip button from the 60s.: I need to learn more about this. So far, I have seen this clip only on stock pen caps that had the plastic screw post:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5311.jpg

Modern Clip button,: probably welded to the clip. So far, I have seen these only on the caps that have a seperate slot head screw to secure the cap tube-clip washer and top.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5312.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5313.jpg

18K 2-tone nib with STOD mark(The photos are of a NOS example):

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5315.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5323.jpg

First generation plastic feeder, same pen as above:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5321.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/149%20nib/IMG_5322.jpg

I hope the pictures are useful.

Regards,

Hari

My feed, which I am always told is early plastic, is like this one BUT instead of just that circle you see at about the center of the feed, MINE has an actual hole.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thank you for the info shared here. Im having a bit of difficulty dating my 149 (and 146 also, which I shall post in that thread separately from this.) Some of the characteristics dont quite all fit into the same time period according to the chart, unless Im reading it wrong. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

post-147385-0-28298600-1551757040_thumb.jpeg

post-147385-0-90471800-1551756899_thumb.jpeg

post-147385-0-38482400-1551757070_thumb.jpeg

post-147385-0-83542900-1551757215_thumb.jpeg

post-147385-0-05991200-1551757192_thumb.jpeg

post-147385-0-04482000-1551757055_thumb.jpeg

post-147385-0-91165300-1551757435_thumb.jpeg

LilyT you have a mixed parts 149. The pen body is from the 1985 to 1990 era before the exposed brass piston threads, you have am early resin feed from about 1990 to 1995 and an older 18C nib from as late as the mid 1970s. So my best guess is a pen brought in for repair around 1990 that had everything but the nib replaced. Or some put an older nib into a pen in the early 1990s.

What's most important is how it writes and if you are happy with that then you have a good 149.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The cap of that pen looks like it is from the era of the nib, based on the taper of the cap lip and the clip construction. Later caps have less taper, perhaps to prevent cracks.

The upper pen in this photo is from the early 1960s and the lower pen is from the late 1980s.

post-91645-0-68641400-1551790728_thumb.jpg

Edited by entertainment

LilyT you have a mixed parts 149. The pen body is from the 1985 to 1990 era before the exposed brass piston threads, you have am early resin feed from about 1990 to 1995 and an older 18C nib from as late as the mid 1970s. So my best guess is a pen brought in for repair around 1990 that had everything but the nib replaced. Or some put an older nib into a pen in the early 1990s.

What's most important is how it writes and if you are happy with that then you have a good 149.

Thank you zaddick! It writes beautifully, I just couldn't figure out how all the parts fit together chronologically. Now I'm guessing my 146 more or less has a similar story.

The cap of that pen looks like it is from the era of the nib, based on the taper of the cap lip and the clip construction. Later caps have less taper, perhaps to prevent cracks.

The upper pen in this photo is from the early 1960s and the lower pen is from the late 1980s.

attachicon.gif IMG_0791.JPG

I see! The clip on mine does look like the earlier one. Thanks for the photo and note, entertainment.

Nice pen, LilyT. If it's a great writer, dates are unimportant. I believe the key to dating is the first-generation feed v. plastic barrel threads. I agree with zaddick's view about what was replaced when.

In 1991 or 1992, I purchased a new-in-the-box 149 with a 14K nib, a split-ebonite feed, and brass threads. Have seen several of those over the years. When I began buying 149s with two-tone 18K nibs, they all had the same feed as yours, the first plastic one. This means your replacement parts are from different eras. Montblanc service could easily have used whatever was handy at the moment. In any event, you have a great old nib on a relatively younger pen. Nice combination.

The first two-tone 18K nibs I saw on 149s all had the first generation plastic feed and brass threads. I have never encountered a new 149 with two-tone 18K nib, first-generation plastic feed, AND plastic piston threads. Doesn't mean they didn't exist, but I haven't come across one. Have probably asked this question before, but I am interested if anyone has found a new in box 149 with 2-tone 18K nib, first gen plastic feed, and black plastic piston threads.

Enjoy your pen, LilyT

Nice pen, LilyT. If it's a great writer, dates are unimportant. I believe the key to dating is the first-generation feed v. plastic barrel threads. I agree with zaddick's view about what was replaced when.

In 1991 or 1992, I purchased a new-in-the-box 149 with a 14K nib, a split-ebonite feed, and brass threads. Have seen several of those over the years. When I began buying 149s with two-tone 18K nibs, they all had the same feed as yours, the first plastic one. This means your replacement parts are from different eras. Montblanc service could easily have used whatever was handy at the moment. In any event, you have a great old nib on a relatively younger pen. Nice combination.

The first two-tone 18K nibs I saw on 149s all had the first generation plastic feed and brass threads. I have never encountered a new 149 with two-tone 18K nib, first-generation plastic feed, AND plastic piston threads. Doesn't mean they didn't exist, but I haven't come across one. Have probably asked this question before, but I am interested if anyone has found a new in box 149 with 2-tone 18K nib, first gen plastic feed, and black plastic piston threads.

Enjoy your pen, LilyT

Many thanks Barry, in this enthusiasm for fountain pens, I learn something new every day. Would be interested to see the combination you mentioned as well, partly because, as you said, MB could have used any service parts available at the time. Would make for a great case study of how the differences happened over this brand's history.

I now have 4 MBs (144G, 146, 149, and 254.) The 144G is my most favorite - a nib that writes like a dream. The 146 is also quite tactile and wet. The other two are a tad dryer, though also write beautifully, with the 254 has some flex to its beautiful wings. Coming from mainly Japanese pens, I've now grown quite fond of Montblancs and several other brands.

Happy Friday!

• 4 weeks later...