Dating Montblanc 149s

DKbRS

Well, this is going to be risky............. but here goes anyway...................

When trying to get my mind around the various permutations, I constructed the chart below. The information is based on info from Barry Gabay's article and the posts of niksch and others, but of course, the errors are all mine. And I'm certain there are errors and inaccuracies. So let me know what they are and I'll adjust the chart accordingly.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/DKbRS/Pens/MB149Dating.jpg

David

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Barry Gabay

• hari317

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent work! I like the way you've done this. Makes for good, clear, quick reference.

Thanks for posting it! :thumbup:

Edited by HBlaine

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

shows how ignorant about mbs === i didn't know the threads are brass. i always thought the new ones with the black threads were plastic . just curious, does the 146/7 have brass threads too?

shows how ignorant about mbs === i didn't know the threads are brass. i always thought the new ones with the black threads were plastic . just curious, does the 146/7 have brass threads too?

Threads at the blind cap.

My Website

David,

Not risky at all! I use a handmade chart very similiar for my own quick reference. Your's is very slick! I had presented a chart idea like this to Niksch a year or so ago but he never got around actually making one like it!

Congrats on the cool chart. I'm gonna print it out.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Thanks for this - excellent chart which I have saved to my files!

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

I do not recall that. BTW the weather in Baltimore sucks today.

David,

Not risky at all! I use a handmade chart very similiar for my own quick reference. Your's is very slick! I had presented a chart idea like this to Niksch a year or so ago but he never got around actually making one like it!

Congrats on the cool chart. I'm gonna print it out.

Rick

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Excellent chart David, once completed it will be an excellent resource. Under barrels you might want to add celluloid for the 50's decade. Early to mid 60's early plastic barrel's filling system was press fit filler with higher ink capacity.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Dear DKbRS,

This is an excellent reference tool, many thanks.

Once it has been finalised, I was wondering whether the moderators could place this as a sticky at the top of the forum?

Best regards,

Jamie.

Very nice work. Thank you for your contribution to our understanding of the 140 series, and especially 149s. All of it on a single page: Great Job!!! Can't wait to study it. OK, second thought. Who will do the caps? cap tube, cap crown, clip, rings, and type of engraving on central ring. What I especially like about your diagram is the overlap which is so common at certain transitional points: very early 60s, early-mid 80s, early 90s.

Edited by Barry Gabay

very nice reference tool for those new to the 149 - like me.

I wonder if LEs and SEs could be included.

Edited by ozwill45

Thanks all for the comments.

Is the chart correct re tri-color 18C nibs? For example, there was one that was advertised and sold here yesterday evening that had a tri-color 18C nib but was described as from the 60s with what seemed to be a feed with grooves on the face only (although there wasn't a photo of the feed, so I can't be sure).

David

Is the chart correct re tri-color 18C nibs? For example, there was one that was advertised and sold here yesterday evening that had a tri-color 18C nib but was described as from the 60s with what seemed to be a feed with grooves on the face only (although there wasn't a photo of the feed, so I can't be sure).

IIR the post correctly, I think that was a refurbished pen, I infer this from the modern 2 piece barrel with exposed feeder case on the pen.

I was mistaken, I saw the thread that you are referring to, the pen there is correct. Incidentally there was another pen with a 18C tritone that was sold yesterday which I was referring to.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks all for the comments.

COOL Chart! :thumbup: Thanks for that.

My 149 doesn't exactly fit. It is tri-color 18c (not "K") nib w/ plastic threads for the filler knob. (I think) a single section barrel. Feed is the plastic w/ horizontal combs.

Didn't I read somewhere on these boards (or in an attached article) that several MB 149's "back in the day" were stocked in stores w/o nibs? Therefore the retail outlet could then add the nib as requested which made it more convenient to stock and store the pens? It would make sense then that nibs drifted onto later model bodies and vice versa........

Michael

My 149 doesn't exactly fit. It is tri-color 18c (not "K") nib w/ plastic threads for the filler knob. (I think) a single section barrel. Feed is the plastic w/ horizontal combs.

Didn't I read somewhere on these boards (or in an attached article) that several MB 149's "back in the day" were stocked in stores w/o nibs? Therefore the retail outlet could then add the nib as requested which made it more convenient to stock and store the pens? It would make sense then that nibs drifted onto later model bodies and vice versa........

Michael

Hi Michael, it is interesting, do you have a picture of your pen to help us tell if it is one piece or two piece barrel? I am guessing that your pen might have been refurbished by MB with modern parts.

I have never heard before of the 149s stored at retail locations without nibs, interesting info.

Regards,

Hari

Michael

Hi Michael, it is interesting, do you have a picture of your pen to help us tell if it is one piece or two piece barrel? I am guessing that your pen might have been refurbished by MB with modern parts.

I have never heard before of the 149s stored at retail locations without nibs, interesting info.

Regards,

Hari

Thanks, Hari. I'll try to source that info again re: the nibs, and also post a photo when I get home tonight.

Your "guess" however, is akin to expert MB testimony in any courtroom!! :rolleyes: It makes sense, I got it from a Texas vendor at the DC show, who snagged it in an estate sale.

Thanks,

Michael

Is it fair to assume some overlap or inconsistency in most all parts as changes were being made especially around 1989-1990? In other words, MB would continue to use "old" parts until they were depleted and only then use the newer design. Not all parts were depleted at the same time.

So perhaps a non-refurbished 149 from that era might have any combination of bi-colored 14 or 18K nib, plastic or ebonite feed and black or plastic threads.

Edited by mano I

COOL Chart! :thumbup: Thanks for that.

Michael

Here's an image of one of my 149s, post-1985, with a 2-section barrel. The arrows show a line visible at the junction just below the threads and above the ink view window:

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/DKbRS/Pens/MBsection.jpg

David