• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• Richard

• penguinmaster

• pescador

I swear that guy knows everything!! :-) I wish I would have thought about this because I KNEW your pen looked familiar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVERSHARP-Fountain-Pen-14KT-Gold-Nib-/270636592875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0332aeeb#ht_500wt_1154

I'm glad you found out what you have.

-Tom

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

With all due respect to anyone who has opined on this question, I can not concur with the "Streamliner" designation. The Streamliner profile is the same as the Skyline (once called Skyliner, btw) That is the barrel of the Streamliner is tapered to a pointy end just like the Skyline. The dressed down nature of the Streamliner saw a clip attached to a ring that was sandwiched between the dome (a screw on just like the Skyline but without the groove for the over the top type clip) and the cap barrel. I can supply pictures of the Streamliner if desired. The barrel of the mystery pen on second look is more like the shape of the Airlite or Varsity pen. The cap that is shown if it has the Eversharp name on it is still a mystery until I or someone with data to show can dig it out. That pressed in tab type clip gets me for now.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

With all due respect to anyone who has opined on this question, I can not concur with the "Streamliner" designation. The Streamliner profile is the same as the Skyline (once called Skyliner, btw)

I don't think the pen in question is a Streamliner, but whatever it is, it's not quite the same as the pen I've identified as the Streamliner (shown here). Note especially the clip, but note also that I've seen this pen shape with and without a band:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/coll/zoomed/streamliner.jpg

It is also without question neither a Symphony nor a Ventura. The profile is entirely wring for either. Here are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Symphonys (models 500, 703, and 701, respectively) and a Ventura:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/coll/zoomed/symphony_loewy.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/coll/zoomed/symphony.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/coll/zoomed/symphony3.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref/bday_pen/zoomed/ventura.jpg

As for the Streamliner being the same as the Skyline, I don't think so. I've seen advertising for the dressed-down pen you describe in which it's called the Thrift. I stupidly didn't buy the ad...

According to Edward Pasahow's (now withdrawn) book, Skyliner was a specific trim version of the Skyline in 1941 and '42: red, black, or brown longitudinal stripes on both cap and barrel, with a narrow band and a solid-color derby. I cannot corroborate this, as I've never seen such a pen. But I've never seen ads describing the entire line as Skyliner.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

With reflection, Richard and I agree on the Ventura and Symphony not being a good guess. That's what I get for shooting from the hip while on the road. I am looking further back into the Late 30's now. The Wahl Oxfords had a visualated section as did the Varsity and the Airlite. I was thinking of those for the pen barrel and the section. But, The barrel has no conical end, so the Oxford is out, but the other two I think had a blunt rounded end to their barrels. More later. The cap is still AFAIAC not original. Could be wrong about that of course.

here is the repair manual regarding Streamliners:

Sorry for the fast scan, but it shows enough.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/Streamliner.jpg

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• 4 months later...

That first picture Richard posted is what I would refer to as a Skyline Press Clip II, since it has the flat clip and a single cap band. They didn't produce many pens to accompany the pencils, which by the time they were produced were relegated to a "utility pencil" category rather than a flagship line (the Fifth Avenue and Symphony lines were the flagships at the time).

• 1 year later...

OK, since I now have one--the Streamliner--that is bright black, no brassing, and writes a lovely medium wet line, I noticed that the nib is marked differently from the Skyline®. Also, can anyone hazard a guess as to value? Thanks. David Silber