Pilot Parallel Mixable Inks

DilettanteG

I bought a set of the much loved Pilot Parallel pens from another FPN member a year or so ago. He was kind enough to throw in a box of ink cartridges. So, I thought I'd share them with you. I've only got five of the twelve colors inked up so far. My left hand is still pretty gimpy, which is why I've used the cartridges in the Parallel pens, rather than transferring them to a sample vial and using dip pens as I usually do.

Since the cartridges are labeled by colored dots, rather than names, I'd appreciate it if someone more experienced with these inks could tell me if I have the Blue or Blue Black scanned here.

Here are the Links:

Blue or Black?: Here

Green: Here

Pink: Here

Violet :Here

Yellow: Here

And just for fun here are some pictures of color mixing in action. (Theses scans are in the ink posts too.)

post-2426-012490500 1284259600.jpg

post-2426-023074700 1284259624.jpg

Edited by DilettanteG

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• Bjor

• karinh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just added the Light Green as well. You can view it: Here.

I've also noticed that the Pilot Mixable Color cartridges appear to be the same size as my Decimo and Falcon converters. However, the cartridge box reads, " This cartridge is exclusive for the Pilot Parallel Pen. Don't use it for other writing instruments." Not sure if that means the ink is not compatible in some way, or if it'd just a proprietary thing.

Edited by DilettanteG

However, the cartridge box reads, " This cartridge is exclusive for the Pilot Parallel Pen. Don't use it for other writing instruments." Not sure if that means the ink is not compatible in some way, or if it'd just a proprietary thing.

I've accidentally used it in a Pilot Plumix pen (the cartridge got mixed up with the normal Pilot ones) and it didn't cause any problems. Possibly a bit harder to wash out but I could be imagining that. Red is sometimes hard to wash out anyway, regardless of type of ink. I don't know if the ink is a different sort of ink - it doesn't say so on the pack I have. I'm not sure I'd use it in an expensive pen though, just in case.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

Wow! This is weird... and cool... An interesting review!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Thanks for posting your unintentional test results, karinh. I've read elsewhere on FPN that red inks have more of a tendency to stain pens as well. So, taking longer to rinse out certainly follows.

The drying time for these Pilot Mixable Color inks is really fast and the dye saturation appears quite high, similar to the Pilot Iroshizuku samples I have. However, I've no idea if they're at all similar beyond that. For all I know, Pilot may add some component to get that mixable effect that isn't fountain pen friendly. It's a shame fountain pen inks don't have the ingredients listed like some other products do. It would be fascinating reading. Wow, there's so much geek in that sentence that even my Type A Analytical Chemist mind boggles!

Thanks for the comment 777. I haven't tried switching cartridge colors with other brands, so the mixing effect may not be unique to these inks. However, The Pilot Parallel Pen Wizardry book recommends just placing one tip parallel nib down on top of another to mix inks. I haven't tried that, but the Parallel's nib design and proprietary cartridges dictates the Mixable Color line.

My one complaint is that the ball and washer design seems to be a problem when replacing these cartridges. If they don't reseat properly flow problems result. Also, I had trouble restarting the ink flow after leaving a green cartridge in my pen overnight. I'm not sure if it just didn't reseat correctly, or if it's simply an ink flow issue.

Finally, the ink in the first post is Blue Black. I just turned up a Blue cartridge. I'll get a scan of that posted next.

Edited by DilettanteG

I have used the Parallel Pen cartridges in my VPs.

The flow is greater, making the line larger. ie the fine is more like a medium...

The inks tended to smudge after drying and were very water reactive.

Cleaning the nibs took a lot of time and water, but other than that my pens seem to have survived.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

I love the light green!

www.RefillMonster.com

Thanks Bjor! My drying times have been excellent, but I haven't tested them with water, or used a broad nib.

I also corrected the Blue Black entry: Here.

and added an entry for Blue: Here.

and an entry for Black: Here

and an entry for Sepia: Here

The blue seems pretty poorly saturated compared to the other inks I've scanned so far.

Edited by DilettanteG