Eversharp Skyline Sac

bsolis1

I recently came into possesion of an Eversharp Skyline. The sac was hard and crumbled in the barrel. I removed the nib and feed and all I got was ink dust and dried rubber. But inside was a thin plastic tube that fit inside the feed. I am going to try to resac it myself, but I dont know exaclty how it goes together. I assume the plastic tube goes in the feed, inside the tube and the sac attaches directly to the end of the feed? Any help would be great. Thank you

-Ben

Also, if anyone has a lead on a good sac supplier that would help

post-21-1159305928_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• bsolis1

• kirchh

• rustynib

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently came into possesion of an Eversharp Skyline. The sac was hard and crumbled in the barrel. I removed the nib and feed and all I got was ink dust and dried rubber. But inside was a thin plastic tube that fit inside the feed. I am going to try to resac it myself, but I dont know exaclty how it goes together. I assume the plastic tube goes in the feed, inside the tube and the sac attaches directly to the end of the feed? Any help would be great. Thank you

-Ben

Also, if anyone has a lead on a good sac supplier that would help

Well, the feed rests against the nib, the thin tube fits into the feed, and the nib & feed unit fit into the section, BUT....

the sac is attached to the end of the section, not the end of the feed.

To resack the pen, you will have to remove the section from the barrel of the Skyline.

Remove the section very carefully, as the barrel may crack if you use too much force (Skylines are somewhat known for this). Try twisting the section gently to remove it from the barrel (wearing rubber gloves, or using a rubber band for better grip may help), or rock it *very* gently back and forth if it doesn't want to twist off. You may have to use a bit of heat---dry heat, that is. Some people use a hair dryer, but not held not too close (or the pen may start to melt, or even ignite if the heat is too high...not sure if a regular hair dryer can do this but...) to loosen the stuck section in case the previous owner used shellac to glue the section in place.

Oh, and depending on what type of Skyline it is, you may or may not want to use a tapered sac (as opposed to a regular "straight" sac).

The Pen Sac Company in California manufactures and sells sacs : http://www.pensacs.com

Wood-Bin in Canada also sells sacs: http://simcom.on.ca/woodbin

Richard Binder has an excellent article, with photos, on How to Replace a Pen Sac; I strongly recommend reading it before you attempt to resac your first pen :)

Article link: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref_info...replacement.htm

Edited by Maja

You have been warned about how fragile the barrel is. Skylines take a #16 tapered but a straight #16 works.

Has anyone told yout the barrels can be crack easy and ruin the project?

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/RichKen/Skyline/Skyline-break.jpg

It does come apart as this shows. The barrel is also very brittle and can break. Read up on how to use heat to ease parts apart. Go slowly and carefully. Don't force anything. It will come apart eventually and usually surprisingly easily. B)

That is advice learned the hard way. It will break apart if forced and usually surprisingly easily. :bonk: :bonk:

Edited by RichKen

Thank you very much. With some light yanking it came apart with no problems

Good job! :)

Thanks to wdyasq for the sac size tip. As long as the sac is not touching the sides of the barrel, a straight sac should be OK.

Thanks also to RichKen for the photo; it clearly shows where the sac is to be attached, for those of you attempting to resac a pen. That photo is sad to see (Skylines are nice pens) but I guess it's a case of "Live and learn" from someone else's unfortunate accident :(

Important -- the Skyline's breather tube allows it to fill completely by working the lever multiple times. The tube allows more air from the end of the sac to be expelled on subsequent strokes even after the first stroke of the lever has sucked up some ink. In my tests, three strokes is sufficient to completely fill the pen, but the general rule for multiple-stroke fillers is that you should keep working the lever until no more air bubbles are seen emerging from the nib into the ink. A single stroke will draw about 11 drops, but you should get about double that with three strokes. Make sure you pause after returning the lever to its flush position to allow the sac time to expand and draw in ink (about 5-10 seconds should do).

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe