Edison / Hakumin Project No 2. We Need Your Help!

SincerelySpicy

What do you think?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the next Edison Pen / Hakumin Urushi LE as a Clipped or a Clipless Herald?

Hi Everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone for their interest in the Urushi Pearl Project, the first LE project that Brian and I had collaborated on. The project was a huge success and we have decided that we are going to continue this cooperative effort.

In fact, we are currently in the process of planning our next LE! We have decided that this next edition will be done on the Edison Herald and we have some good ideas for the technique, which will be something different from the Pearl LE. While we are keeping the specific technique under wraps for now, we will say that the color scheme will be in the cooler side of the spectrum this time and that we will be using rhodium trim.

However, we are stuck on deciding one thing. Clip or no clip? A clip would add convenience and stop a pen from rolling away. Going clipless would emphasize an unbroken surface of the lacquer and show off the purity of the design. Which do we choose? Either way would be beautiful, and it ends up all being a matter of personal preference.

And so, we have decided, who better to decide than those who will be owning them? Tell us what you think would be better in the poll above, and feel free to elaborate why by responding to this thread below.

Clipped or Clipless? What would you like?

Thanks!

Brian and Ernest at Edison Pen and Hakumin Urushi

http://www.hakuminurushi.com/storage/edison/Clip-Noclip.jpg

Edited by SJM1123

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Splicer

• SincerelySpicy

• watch_art

I wish my Danitrio didn't have a clip because, to me, it's distracting from the beauty of the finish. I can find ways to deal with it rolling.

"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

It would depend on the finish.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I never use the clip, but I know many people do. It's a shame that something couldn't be figured out design wise, allowing individuals to have it both ways. A clip that could be removed for those who don't use them and the clip put on for those who do. Asking a bit much, I know ... just thinking .....

Being mostly a user, and user who likes to be able to carry his tools with him, I would prefer a clipped version.

That said, any pen which would suffer from posting, which is likely the case here, I would consider a desk pen. In that case, a clipless design with dedicated stand would be my preference. I would also hope that the stand be unusual in form, something suggested by the surface you select, and that it provide a unique place for the cap to reside while writing. Not knowing exactly what finish you have in mind, that's about as far as I can push the concept.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I think the basic shape and style of the Heald lend themselves to a clip. So for my two cents, it gets down to the finish. If the finish is busy a clip will not look good; a highly polished simple but elegent finish would demand a clip.

I like what Mickey said 2 posts up-->a clipless version with a stand or pen pillow would be the way to go. Could be unusual, but obviously at least complementary to the finish chosen.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_k2HuEPkFBP8/TThGRwBFFQI/AAAAAAAAAE0/vHzP5ssKm3g/s128/Porkopolis%20Penners.png.jpg

I would like CLIPLESS but I'm biased, as I don't go out to work, and if I take pens anywhere they go in a roll or zipped case.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

I'll always prefer a clip to clipless. Those I have that are clipless seldom get to leave the house because I'm afraid I'll lose them or they will bounce around and get scratched. That said, I also agree with the person who said how nice it would be if we could choose! If they are pre-ordered, maybe that would be possible?

Kim

A few thoughts (opinions) on the topic:

1. I feel that most urushi and maki-e pens are, to generalize, most esthetically pleasing without a clip. The monotone Japananese-style pens typically have a minimalist look that is, in my view, best left uninterrupted by a clip, and, to my eye, a decorative urushi pen gnerally begs for the busy design to speak for itself.

2. I can't imaging trying to fit some of these large pens in my pocket. I own smaller and less "sensitive" pens for that purpose.

3. Pen rests are a wonderful thing.

4. Urushi is a material that deserves respect. I have a hard time subjecting some of these works of art to the abuse of travel.

(IMO. YMMV.)

Edited by Cincy_bob

It would depend on the finish for me. A clipped pen, if the clip were either simple enough, appropriate or beautiful and unique enough, would by nature see more use with me. I have already tried to think through how I will carry around the edison urushi pearl, and it hasn't even arrived yet. I have taken the felt holder out of a CS two-pen and plan on carrying it and another clipless (dani fellowship) in that. But by nature a clipless would keep me from using it more.

It would depend on the finish.

I agree. I would recommend picking a finish/technique that would work well with a clip.

I like the idea of the Project 2 pens being quite different than the first ones.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Urushi pens are wonderful and almost seductive, for the lack of a better word, especially without the clip. It would be perfect if a small single pen case with a pocket clip could be offered as an option, one that could be clipped in the pocket so that the clipless pen could be secure in the pocket, and also protected from the UV of the sun for longevity reasons. Just an idea.....

Usually I favor the clip. In the case of Ernest's terrific artistry, I tend toward saying without the clip, but it really depends on what type finish will be used. Some may be such that a clip is not intrusive at all and even enhances the appearance.

It's not the end of the world; it's just the end of you. - David P. Goldman

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

Clip, please

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

For me the choice is easy: I always use a case to avoid damage to my pens, whether with or without clip, and only really use clips on cheap rollerballs and such..

A more important issue for me to go clipless on this model however is that I don't like the little separation that is needed on the cap for the clip. So you always have this line breaking up the flow of any design.Without clip, the pen is visually AND 'mechanically' continuous.

Anyway it is easy enough to use a small pen rest (like those for chop sticks), for your clipless pen.

And mine can't roll away because my desk is too messy for that ;-) !

Tadeyev

I have a Nakaya that is clipless and it's a pen that stays home for many reasons--price among them--and that makes it of no consequence to me that it doesn't have a clip. the purity of the lines without a clip is cool. I think a pen like this should offer a kimono or other carrying case option as well as, perhaps, a pen pillow in a matching urushi finish. It would be a nice value touch considering the pricing necessary for these pens given the handmade nature of them. With this particular pen design, the smooth, unbroken look without the clip is pretty impressive and makes it a good match for some of the other great urushi pens out there from Nakaya and Dani Trio. I like the clipless idea on many levels for this pen. Besides, your last one had a clip and I imagine you'll do more of these so it's not like the clip crowd doesn't have options to choose from in Edison pens!

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files