Bulow Pens

FearNot

Just happened onto these at Amazon (of course, not affiliated). Anyone ever hear of these? No nib size given, so I imagine they're probably mediums.

Amazon FPs

Montblanc Blue-Black please; shaken, not stirred.

I believe the sun will rise tomorrow and I believe the stars will shine at night. Now, ask me what I know.

Fear not, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• myyrkezaan

• Edgar Allan Bo

• alkman

• EMM

Just because I live in German; don't mean much. I've never heard of them. But then I don't even look at cartridge pens. Piston or sac or button fill only.

That's a hell of a price drop....too much of a drop. IMO

Get your self a vintage '50's Pelikan or Geha with a semi-flexible nib. Not the..school pens...the Schulefuller or the Pelikan 120, they will not have semi-flex nibs.

Best bought on the sales section so you can be sure of a semi-flex nib...even if you think it's expensive, it's not, in the long run. The long run....will it to a grand child.

The 60-50 year old pens just need a gasket job, just drove around the block by Granny the terror of the autobahn.

Patience is a virtue, saving your money up until then hard. In the end the reward is well worth the wait.

Just because some one labels something in German don't mean it's German...the ad don't say Made in Germany.

And the one rating in Amazon was 2 of 5 stars...hand assembled...even cheap Skill craft black ball point pens are assembled by hand.

Hand polished....not in Germany where one is expected to make a living on one job.

X750 QUINATE - X750 Vertrag, Legislatur, Kompass, Marmor, and Wohlstand Fountain Pen Collection

Publisher, Legislature, (Compass, Marble...makes no sense) GoodLiving...which no German would advertise his pens in Germany with.

Don't notice the Germans using X in advertising.

Marked down form $249 to Only $49...because any one with $250 for a pen would not be allowed out of the nut house if they bought this no name...but someone with little money and less understanding can be found on every other street corner in the US, if the Made in Germany button is pushed.

Imported from China, to Germany to be scammed in the States.IMO

Office Products › Bulow › Paramount Goods LLC.

"English name...and LLC is not as far as I, an American living a long time in Germany a German term for a limited business.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

They are rebadged Jinhao X750. Jinhao entered into a joint venture with a German partner (probably not a big name in pen making industry in Germany), but does it make it a German company? I guess not. But the quality control (not the writing characters) of Jinhao pens are better than those older Chinese brands such as Hero and Wing Sung. Are they as good as real German pens? No. Are they worthy pens? For the price, maybe yes. For $49, I would take Bo Bo Olson's advice and get a used Pelikan, or my advice of getting a used Parker 51 (later models with common colors are very affordable). If you are into style rather than writing, then X750 is a handsome pen and I don't blame you for falling into the look. Whatever decision you make, enjoy and forget about $249, that is a price nobody will believe, even the pen company.

German import/export laws are vauge. An item sold by a German firm can be marked "Germany" if it is distributed from Germany. I have a Kissing Crane knife that was made in Italy that is marked Germany.

If you like it buy it, but it's likely Chinese.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

xFountainpens sells the same pen much cheaper X750 Wohlstand Fountain Pen and five pens for $49.95 X750 QUINATE. I have been satisfied with my purchases from them, and they may be worth what they are sold for there, but I only inked one once and then went on to other more reliable starting pens.

It does appear that the same company is selling pens via amazon.com and xFountainPens.com: Paramount Goods LLC. Info@xFountainPens.com 800-224-0407. I got this info because in looking at their website again I thought I would buy some wooden pen boxes (I know, an impulse buy!) :embarrassed_smile:

All the best,

T

Edited by Tumbleweedtoo

Ha ha, those are chinese jinhao replicas. If you want one of those head over to ebay, they only cost about $8 there.

New Mexico Pen Collector's Club / InkDrop Member since 8/23/2010

The names are just great :ltcapd:

Vertrag = Agreement

Kompass = Compass

Legislatur = Legislation

Marmor = Marble

Wohlstand = Wealth

the typical "chinese company picking up a german dictionary and searching for good names" thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I like how the Xfountainpens page says "hand assembled by Bulow". The man hisself? Horst? Klaus? Or a mythical Dr. Von Bulow, in dependable lab coat and round glasses?

The mind, it boggles :ltcapd:

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I have a X750 myself; When I first got it it could barely write. I had to flush it 3 times and grind the nib like crazy just to get a DECENT line. Maybe that's just one bad experience, but based on that I wouldn't recommend them. Although it's up to you. They seem to be more visually appealing than performance based...

EDIT: If you do order them from XFountainPens, I will admit that they have excellent customer service. I emailed them, they suggested a few solutions, and offered to send a free replacement if I was still unsatisfied.

Edited by _Logan

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

I have a X750 myself; When I first got it it could barely write. I had to flush it 3 times and grind the nib like crazy just to get a DECENT line. Maybe that's just one bad experience, but based on that I wouldn't recommend them. Although it's up to you. They seem to be more visually appealing than performance based...

EDIT: If you do order them from XFountainPens, I will admit that they have excellent customer service. I emailed them, they suggested a few solutions, and offered to send a free replacement if I was still unsatisfied.

I have 2 X450's and they work great, but it does seem like a gamble since people do have problems.

As others have said, they are Chinese made. I have owned the entire Bulow "x###" line, ordered from xfountainpens, including the x49, x450, x530, and x750.

All of them would stop writing after going writing a page or two, and one would have to use the converter (included) in reverse to force ink into the nib and get them writing again. If it hadn't been for these flow issues, these would be good pens. The nibs are fair, but the x450 was the best in my opinion. You should know that they are somewhat heavy - I believe they are made of brass (the x530 is enormous - do not buy it unless you love extremely heavy pens.) The finishes are thinly painted over the brass, so while they look nice they are subject to scuffing.

I would get a x450 if I was to buy any of these again. Buy from xfountainpens as well - free shipping at $15 and they will usually include a bottle of their Chesterfield ink (medium wetness, flawless flow [in my GOOD pens]) with purchases of over $20. Their items ship very quickly and the customer service is good. They sent me a free bottle of ink when one of their online gift certificates went awry, and I was buying a Chrome Parker IM ($45) so I got two free 50ml bottles of ink that I'm still using.

EDIT - I have heard that xfountainpens sometimes includes some of their cheaper pens with large purchases as well. I have also gotten some of their "Straffen" brand pens, the SRX Galaxie Novae and the SG2500 (Saphir and Muskovit Colors), which performed slightly more reliably but were drier than the "Bulow" pens. The SG2500 was considerably lighter, having an all plastic barrel, and the barrel was tapered in such a way that, uncapped, you could spin the pen on a flat surface. Because of the gloss and weight, it would spin for a fairly long time. If one spun it very quickly, it demonstrated the tangental characteristic of circular motion by spraying out lines of ink tangent to the nib's path :roflmho:.

I can go into more detail about what I remember about these pens if you'd like, as I've sold/given them by now, but what you eventually buy obviously depends on your preferences.

Edited by P.A.R.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases