Zenitouch Sophisticat Journals

jimhughes

post-17575-058840700 1283558494.jpgpost-17575-051494000 1283558531.jpgpost-17575-080029000 1283558645.jpgpost-17575-024615600 1283558666.jpgpost-17575-033519100 1283558685.jpgpost-17575-094135700 1283558706.jpgpost-17575-060287200 1283558738.jpgpost-17575-056151500 1283558870.jpgpost-17575-051197200 1283558897.jpgZenith Paper Company of Thailand has produced a Hardbound Journal, to go along with their 360 Design award wining Zequenz Journal.

The Zequenz Journal was previously reviewed by Office Supply Geek, on FPN and his blog. The ZeniTouch journals are hardbound journals with a faux leather PV smooth cover. They have the expected elastic closure in a front cover groove, a ribbon marker and a back cover pocket. The corners of the notebook and the paper are rounded. They come in 3 sizes: A5, A6 and an intermediate size between a A6 and an A7. The intermediate sized journal is 85mm x 115 mm in a top bound Reporter style. The A5 and A6 size are 96 pages of 100 gm paper. The Reporter style, does not have a ribbon marker, is 80 pages of 80 gm paper. The journal lays flat without any undue effort. The pages are bright white, with a smooth surface. The journals are called Notesketch Journals. This is because the front page surface is lined with a faint thin grey line 7 mm high. The back surface of the page is blank. So one journal allows you to write on a lined surface and sketch on a blank surface. THe A5 and A6 journals are conventionally bound on the left side, like a book.

The big question is how do they do with a fountain pen. First some disclaimers: 1) I use and like wet nibs in F and XF width, 7/10 wetness. 2) I use mostly conventional, wet inks. 3) My scanner does NOT show the minimal show through as much as truly exists. IMHO, I believe these journals to be a unique addition to our journal use. They are FP friendly. Minimal bleeding, feathering, and a low level of show through ( remember my scanner comments). There is some showthrough with my wider nibs and dark wetter inks, not enough to prevent one from using that side of the page. You will see a minimal ghosting with the wet, dark inks but not enough to read what it says. I have provided some scans, notimg the pen, nib width and ink used. The first photo will be of the written page. Each subsequent photo will have on the left the back of the preceeding written page and on the right the new written page. I'll let you be the judge for your perspective on the feathering, bleeding, and show through.

Hopefully, Zenith will have the Zequenz Soft Bound 360 Journals available through Amazon in late September. These will be shipped out of Warehouse in Wash. State. The ZeniTouch Hard Bound Sophisticate Journals will be available in Oct. through Amazon. If you can't wait to obtain these, please contact Ms. Meenaree Satachalasin, Export Mgr at zenith@zenithopaper.com. The hardbounds, including DHL shipping (5 calendar days from Thailand) work out to about $15.00/each.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimhughes

• lowks

• jniforat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it has thin grey lines which the scanner masked on the written page. The journals do come in colours. They have the usual fancy marketing name, like Midnight Noir. IIRC there is a Hot Pink, A Teal/ Turquoise, green, red, black, brown, and purple. No extra chardge for the non standard colours. Jim

Yikes yikes.gif that bleed through looks a little unsightly... The journal is very nice looking though, but my tastes in paper will never go back. I'm a 100% Clairefontaine fan now (thanks to Brian Goulet :) )...

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I must be undergrading my bleed through. I didn't think I had that much at all. But then EMMV. The top margin is 15mm and the bottom margin is 10 mm on the lined side of the page. Thanks for looking, Jim

Nice-ish journal, but too much bleedthrough compared to CF 90 gsm paper. And I want a 3 X 4 inch or so pocketable version. Thanks for the heads up tho!

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

I agree. For 100gsm paper that bleedthrough is unacceptable to me, but as you say Jim, EMMV.

That said, I have an A4 Rhodia quad ruled pad right now that feathers like crazy, most unusual, but it just shows that even reputable manufacturers can have a bad batch.

• 3 weeks later...

Joshua:

Thanks for your vote of confidence. I thought it was pretty good, but obviously several other viewers disagreed with me. I use mostly XF nibs and dry inks as you know, and it's working for me, but then YMMV. I'll bring one for you next Saturday and let you try it with your Snorkel and P51, see what you think in the flesh. Jim

• 2 years later...

I bought one of these journals too but I feel that the bleed through and feathering tolerance is not as good as Zequenz. Is that what other people find ?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I would always back your judgement too Jim. Would love to try one of these. I use mainly fine nibs so probably do well in these journals. I will keep an eye out for them downunder, or for a reasonable shipping option.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

After giving this a second chance, I am really starting to warm up to the Zenitouch paper and this has turned out to be my surprise find of the year. Thank god I did not give in and threw out the paper on my first evaluation.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png