Goulet Color Theme -- Back To School

Felix1

Yea, I know what WAG means. But why are some guesses described as such? Is it just because there was no rationale stated? I know the example provided in the initial question provided a rationale, but the question asked to provide our guess? Aren't all of the guesses provided just that, even with the rationale? I'm not offended. I'm just curious as to why they were labeled as such.

Edited by bwnewton

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• Felix1

• TWRDO

• etoyoc

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious as to why they were labeled as such.

Oh, I guess the simple answer would be if there was no thought process behind the choices which could be briefly articulated then they were...well...Wild A Guesses. headsmack.gif

Nothing sinister, though, like pushing the buttons of those who always had the impression they were being picked on in school.

And to answer Twyla's question, no background.

BTW, I hope Brian's blog will touch on his ink-selection decision calculus each month after the Ink Drop shipment. Should make for some interesting reading from someone who has ready access to and will soon be carrying a majority of the most popular inks. Or will it be revealed that Rachel has a better eye for colors and a major input into picking which inks best embody the monthly theme? Ah, the suspense mounts.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I'm just curious as to why they were labeled as such.

Oh, I guess the simple answer would be if there was no thought process behind the choices which could be briefly articulated then they were...well...Wild A Guesses. headsmack.gif

Nothing sinister, though, like pushing the buttons of those who always had the impression they were being picked on in school.

Thanks for the answer. I should've included my thought processes for each pick. I didn't feel picked on. Have a great week!

BTW, I hope Brian's blog will touch on his ink-selection decision calculus each month after the Ink Drop shipment. Should make for some interesting reading from someone who has ready access to and will soon be carrying a majority of the most popular inks. Or will it be revealed that Rachel has a better eye for colors and a major input into picking which inks best embody the monthly theme? Ah, the suspense mounts.

Oh, I will most certainly be talking about our choices, don't you worry! Yes, Rachel is an integral part of making the color decisions.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

2x Diamine Registrar (no rationale…just WAGs)

What? I want you to know I am totally taking offense at this! Go google "registrar". 7 out of the first ten links are to *.edu pages.

2x Diamine Registrar (no rationale…just WAGs)

What? I want you to know I am totally taking offense at this! Go google "registrar". 7 out of the first ten links are to *.edu pages.

Yea, you're right, you did amplify your original post after I queried you about the reason you picked Registrar. I'll correct that in the next tally.

Not sure how many higher ed registrar offices are still keeping records and/or signing diplomas by hand though. In fact, I'm sitting here in my office looking at four framed diplomas on the wall dating back to the mid-60s for the BSEE and they all appear to have been signed by autopen vice by hand with a fountain pen using any archive-quality ink. So I question whether your pick is truly a slam dunk. Guess we'll just have to wait until Wednesday to see what Professor Goulet thinks. notworthy1.gif

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Okay, given the clues so far, I'm guessing that "Back to School" might reflect the colors of certain school supplies, such as a new box of Crayolas. I think that the small boxes of the big crayons had eight colors, and so here are five possibilities out of those eight:

Green: Caran d'Ache Amazon (also good for geography class)

Red: Pelikan Brilliant Red (reminiscent of the teacher's red pencil...)

Blue: PR Blue Suede (for new school shoes?)

Yellow: J Herbin Buttercup (also good for botany)

Purple: I'll go with Sheaffer here to round things out, though I liked the idea about old French school rules on using J Herbin purples

...or, if I got one extra guess, maybe Diamine Chocolate Brown, how many kids don't like chocolate...?

In anticipation,

Mokhajava

"

Hmm... there is a lot of potential here... Brian, have you thought about turning this into a promotional contest each month by posting the theme & then awarding a free set of the inks (perhaps in sampler size) to someone who guesses them all correctly? Just an idea :bunny01:

Great inputs from Mokhajava and Indigirl.

Mokhajava, as the OP, I wanted to stay out of this but your Crayola idea was exactly what I've been thinking about since Brian announced the monthly theme. And then when he dropped the elementary school hint, I was sure I'd nailed it.

Now we may both end up with egg on our faces Wednesday. cool.gif

I bet Mokhajava is pretty close. Red, Yellow, Blue, Green and then maybe a Purple or a Black.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

Hmm... there is a lot of potential here... Brian, have you thought about turning this into a promotional contest each month by posting the theme & then awarding a free set of the inks (perhaps in sampler size) to someone who guesses them all correctly? Just an idea :bunny01:

I have thought about this! Of course, the club came together so fast I didn't have the time to really put anything together for this month, but maybe next month. I don't know if a sampler would be the way to go as a prize....any club member would be getting a sampler pack anyway as part of the club! What kind of prize would be good? Maybe a free bottle of the month's colors (winner's choice, 1 of the 5)? I've also thought about whether to make it exclusive to FPN here, as there are a lot of club members who are not on FPN. Perhaps I should run it 'officially' through Ink Nouveau? Or maybe do one contest here and one on my blog? Making sure of course there would be two different winners.... any thoughts?

Great inputs from Mokhajava and Indigirl.

Mokhajava, as the OP, I wanted to stay out of this but your Crayola idea was exactly what I've been thinking about since Brian announced the monthly theme. And then when he dropped the elementary school hint, I was sure I'd nailed it.

Now we may both end up with egg on our faces Wednesday. cool.gif

Well, you're going to have to wait until after Wednesday.....I want you to be surprised when you actually GET the samples! I'm not going to post the official selection until the 7th, to give everyone who wants to be surprised the opportunity to be so :thumbup:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

I think it would be easier to have only one winner, if multiple people guess right, just draw names randomly. And would be easier to give $5 credit in their Gouletpens account, although I suppose that's not as exciting as getting another bottle of ink !:headsmack:

I think it would be easier to have only one winner, if multiple people guess right, just draw names randomly. And would be easier to give $5 credit in their Gouletpens account, although I suppose that's not as exciting as getting another bottle of ink !:headsmack:

+1. Good thinking! Keeps it simple :happyberet:

Yeah, this would actually be a lot simpler....how about free shipping? That would be very logistically manageable for us! If I am going to run it only through one 'location', I would have to do it through my blog. I'm not trying to take over FPN here with too much 'promotional' stuff. Doing it through Ink Nouveau would be the fairest way for everyone (no membership required to post a comment on my blog!).

Well, you're going to have to wait until after Wednesday.....I want you to be surprised when you actually GET the samples! I'm not going to post the official selection until the 7th, to give everyone who wants to be surprised the opportunity to be so :thumbup:

Rats. wink.gif

Hopefully a club member from VA or one of the adjoining states will get theirs Thursday and post 'em. Heck, the first person to post the inks for this inaugural month ought to get a Goulet Pens prize on general principle alone. clap1.gif

I'm really interested to see what comes out this month. I was going to join, but didn't want the samples sitting at the post office for two weeks while I'm on vacation.

I'm really interested to see what comes out this month. I was going to join, but didn't want the samples sitting at the post office for two weeks while I'm on vacation.

You can join as late as the 14th of September and still get September's samples! I doubt it'll be a surprise by then though :rolleyes:

Yeah, this would actually be a lot simpler....how about free shipping? That would be very logistically manageable for us! If I am going to run it only through one 'location', I would have to do it through my blog. I'm not trying to take over FPN here with too much 'promotional' stuff. Doing it through Ink Nouveau would be the fairest way for everyone (no membership required to post a comment on my blog!).

That sounds quite fair!

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973