Goulet Color Theme -- Back To School

Felix1

Forum readers undoubtedly know that Brian & Rachel Goulet have started a monthly ink sample club, called Ink Drop, which kicks off with its first mailing next Wednesday, September 1st.

The actual inks-of-the-month won't be revealed until the shipment date but Brian has posted the kickoff month theme...'Back to School.'

So I thought it might be fun to guess what ink brand and color Brian & Rachel will choose for the September mailing. You get five choices...remember the theme..."Back to School.'

I'll tally up the posted results after we know what Brian shipped and we'll see how closely our collective opinions match the Goulet Pen Company's 'Back to School' theme picks. hmm1.gif

Tip: A vote for a brand Brian doesn't carry is a wasted vote...so limit your choices to one of the 280 colors he stocks from J. Herbin, Diamine, Caran d'Ache, Private Reserve, Sheaffer, and Pelikan.

Example:

Pelikan Royal Blue...great student color, washable, doesn't stain, inexpensive, works with Ink Eradicators

...well, you get the idea...brand, color, and quick thoughts on why it should be in the September shipment

And don't forget the teacher...what might he/she favor for grading papers?

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• Felix1

• TWRDO

• etoyoc

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Ink Nouveau, August 22 post, Brian expects to have the Noodler's and Platinum lines in sometime next week. Will that be in time for his first shipment?

I'd say Diamine Registrar is a sure thing.

Either J.Herbin Violette Pensee

or J.Herbin Poussiere de Lune

Reasoning: from this thread on French ruled paper, they were the required colors for French students before ballpoints took over ...

It will most likely take a while for Brian to get all the new inks unpacked, put up, then make up the color charts and possibly get the swabs to The Swab Shop. With that in mind, I was torn between 2 inks for "Back to School" ... Diamine Majestic Blue and Private Reserve American Blue .... decisions, decisions .... ok ....

Diamine Majestic Blue

School bus yellow? (aka Herbin Jaune Bouton)

Fall leaves orange? (aka Herbin Orange Indien)

The 'Summer is over' blues? (aka any of the great Diamine blue inks)

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Because of its supposed archival qualities?

One of the few iron gall inks in production for fountain pens. I'll have to admit, I have a partial bottle stuck so far back in my ink cabinet it'll probably never see the light of day again. Exhibited rather poor flow characteristics on my better papers. OK on mass-produced student notebook papers though.

Maybe I just got a bottle from a lot which was poorly QC'd.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I'll second that.

Either J.Herbin Violette Pensee

or J.Herbin Poussiere de Lune

Reasoning: from this thread on French ruled paper, they were the required colors for French students before ballpoints took over ...

hmmm...not sure, but i bet it will entail blue, black, and red (maybe some others too?).

sheaffer blue seems like a great ink to use for writing papers,along with a nice PR Black or J. Herbin black of sorts.

I can see red coming from PR.

I'm not sure, i'm just excited to try new inks!

Maybe something green, for the first football game of the school year?

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THoFdqPGYOI/AAAAAAAAA1w/gmV637q-HZA/s320/InkDropLogoFPN.jpg

Because of its supposed archival qualities?

No, because of the name. Universities are the only place I know of that uses the word Registrar anymore.

I want to say J. Herbin's Eclat de Saphir just because it is a favourite by Brian. I have one being ordered so I could see the hype around this colour :P

Here's what it looks like through post #15. Some interesting rationale but at this point there's no clear favorite as far as brand/color goes. Going strictly by color, any brand, it appears black is edging out blue by a nose.

2x Diamine Registrar (no rationale…just WAGs)

2x J. Herbin Violette Pensee (required color for French students)

2x J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune (alternate required color for French students)

2x Private Reserve Velvet Black (good writing paper ink)

2x Sheaffer Blue (good writing paper ink)

1x J. Herbin Jaune Bouton D'or (school bus yellow)

1x J. Herbin Orange Indien (color of fall leaves)

1x Any Diamine blue ink (summer [vacation] is over…blues)

1x Sheaffer Skrip Black (no rationale…just a WAG)

1x Sheaffer Skript Blue-Black (no rationale…just a WAG)

1x Pelikan Blue-Black (no rationale…just a WAG)

1x J. Herbin Black, I'll assume Perle Noir (good writing paper ink)

1x Private Reserve Red, I'll assume Dakota Red for sake of argument (no rationale…just a WAG)

1x Green (represent 1st football game of the season)

1x Pelikan Royal Blue (traditional school color for writing)

1x Black (any black, poster professed no preference)

1x J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir (a favorite of Brian's which might make the cut)

I'll hope I don't need to spell out what a WAG is. ;-)

I'll hope I don't need to spell out what a WAG is. ;-)

You're not military/ex military by any chance, are you? We used to use that one pretty often.

For me, I'm going to say ... A black, maybe PR's Velvet Black, since it's popular. A blue-black, I think the Pelikan one would be a good basic choice. A blue, maybe Eclat de Saphir, since we know how Brian likes to share his loves with us. A red, in which I can only hope for Herbin's 1670, since I want to try it. And.... that's all the guesses I have in me.

Edited: because I cannot spell.

Edited by Twyla

Hehehehe....I love seeing all of your guesses....the WAG's are the most fun :thumbup:

A few of you are pretty on par, and some of you think a lot differently than I do! I'll give you a clue....it's not going to be an assortment of blues and blacks....how boring! Think more the types of colors that you might associate with your younger school days. After all, that's when going back to school was FUN, remember? Some of the colors we've chosen do have some meaning behind them, and others are chosen simply for the fun colors!

I will say Noodler's, Platinum, Pelikan Edelstein, and the new Diamine colors will not be a part of September's Ink Drop because we're still waiting on all of them to come in. We are supposed to get Noodler's and Platinum in early this week, though with literally over 100 colors to unpack, sort, count, inventory, organize, list online, take pictures, etc, we won't have enough time to incorporate these ones into this month. I think you'll all be happy with the choices! Another teaser....for this month at least we've chosen to do all different brands, so no two inks are from the same brand.

Keep on guessing! :hmm1:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

My guess (even before reading Brian's post) was something to do with the primary colors, so a red, a yellow, and a blue for 3 of the 5.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

My guess (even before reading Brian's post) was something to do with the primary colors, so a red, a yellow, and a blue for 3 of the 5.

Now we're on the right track!

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>