"What is this, and what do I do with it?" #2

Ron Z

Last week I put up a picture of an item and asked, "what do you do with this?" If you missed that one, and want to see what I have in mind, take a look at last week's post.

The idea of course is to think of repair uses for ordinary items that we have in front of us.

So here's this week's picture. Now don't be fooled! Not all of them are the same, so could (and do!) have different uses!

What ideas do you have?

spacer.png

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Maja

• aunt rebecca

• Johnny Appleseed

Top Posters In This Topic

hi ron,

ernestine says: you obviously use the wire to connect the nib and section to an electrical socket to produce a hair raising nib with great line variation.

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

:ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :rolleyes:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Well, I am not sure what you would use all of them for,

but what size do you use to unclog a %$^ Sheaffer Vac-Fill center feed?

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

1. Attach undrained fountain pen to string via duct tape, nib facing away from string.

2. Sneak into neighbor's/in-laws'/boss's yard/driveway/garage/whatever.

3. Swing pen over head rapidly, allowing centrifugal force to drain ink.

What? You don't have to use a salad spinner.

:D

Don

OK, it's true that I do use the guitar strings for cleaning feeds. The first 75 I bought had a really clogged feed, and wire was the only thing that could clear it out enough to flush the pen. (You don't really want to get into removing the nib on a 75). I also cleaned out a Parker VP that had India ink in it. The feed, collector AND the "converter" (for lack of a better word) were loaded. It took lots of pen cleaner and 3 weeks, but clean it is. Richard now owns it.

To answer Jonny Appleseed's question - guitar string if you can't get the nib and feed apart. The finest of the steel strings. It's nice and stiff, and really fine.

If you notice, one of the wire rolls doesn't have the ends on it. That's not guitar string. It's piano wire, used for pins for some of the early lever fillers, like Wahl and Sheaffers. A slightly thicker wire can be used to make replacement ring that hold the levers on the inside the pen. I bought mine in a display of wire rod and brass tubing at the hardware store. You'll find the same display in most hobby shops.

Using the same wire, you can also make a tool to remove the existing lever pins without damaging the plastic of the barrel.

I'll scrounge in the old tool box for another "what is this......" for next week.

Edited by Ron Z

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

no kissing,

all wire has to be used to string my widgets which i and my sidekicks, olga, ernestine, and angelina rescue from empty guinness cans.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

:ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Hi Ron,

This tool to remove the lever securing rings is there any chance you might post a photograph or a description. :)

Just recentlyI would have near on killed for one of those things, rather than spending several hours and lots of imagination on fiddling and inventing new words for the sort of things that one says when the world is not going quite the way one would like :angry: and that are not used in company, not even impolite or downright rude company, particularly not on Friday,Saturday or Sunday depending on one's religious persuasion. :rolleyes: No offense intended of course.

Cheers, John

guitar string if you can't get the nib and feed apart. The finest of the steel strings. It's nice and stiff, and really fine.

I will have to try that. Incidentally, I am talking about the Sheaffer center-feeds. Even when you take the nib and feed apart, the ink channel in the feed runs through the center of the feed, so you can't floss it out from the top. I am sure you know the ones I mean.

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I will have to try that. Incidentally, I am talking about the Sheaffer center-feeds. Even when you take the nib and feed apart, the ink channel in the feed runs through the center of the feed, so you can't floss it out from the top. I am sure you know the ones I mean.

Yup, I do. Though those do pull out after a soak if you're really gentle. Runing a roto-rooter might be better.

Also good for running through a snorkel tube.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens