Parker 51 Nib 18 K Made In France

gicoteni

I have purchased from a French seller a Parker 51. I was very surprised to find out it has a Parker 18 K nib, made in France. The other parts of the pen are made in England. Is it usual? Thank you for you replies, Giuseppe

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gicoteni

• OldGriz

• saskia_madding

• Chrissy

Anything marketed in France as gold must be at least 18K... However, that is the first 51 nib I have heard of marked that way... and I have had a boat load and a half of 51s cross my bench...

Anything marketed in France as gold must be at least 18K......

You are right: Parker 75 nib in USA 14 k and in France 18 k; Waterman CF in USA, Canada and UK 14 k, in France 18 k; Aurora Hastil in Italy 14 k an in France 18 k and so on...

However, that is the first 51 nib I have heard of marked that way... and I have had a boat load and a half of 51s cross my bench...

I am not expert in Parker 51, but I had the suspicion it was an odd nib. I will post some picture.

Pictures of Parker 51 nib 18 k made in France

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/51%20nib/1.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/51%20nib/3.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/51%20nib/2.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/51%20nib/4.jpg

Edited by gicoteni

There is such a 14 kt 585 Parker Nib for France, Trust me.

Anything marketed in France as gold must be at least 18K......

You are right: Parker 75 nib in USA 14 k and in France 18 k; Waterman CF in USA, Canada and UK 14 k, in France 18 k; Aurora Hastil in Italy 14 k an in France 18 k and so on...

However, that is the first 51 nib I have heard of marked that way... and I have had a boat load and a half of 51s cross my bench...

I am not expert in Parker 51, but I had the suspicion it was an odd nib. I will post some picture.

There is such a 14 kt 585 Parker Nib for France, Trust me.

BUT according to French law it can not be called a gold nib... in France anything designated as gold MUST BE at least 18K gold...

I have no doubt that Parker pens with 14K nibs were sold all over France... but they could not legally be advertised as having gold nibs.

• 2 years later...

I just found a similar 51 nib. The pen it was in is a bit odd, possibly due to parts being replaced. It's a Black Aero with a rolled gold cap. It has a Mark 1 body (rounded with the vent hole at the very end) but a mark 2 all metal filler. The filler is stamped Made in USA but the body's imprint is too worn to read.

The nib seems to be Broad and reads:

18 Cts

PARKER

Made in France

There is a weird symbol above "18 Cts" that looks kind of like an ear or yin-yang? It is too small to really make out with the loupe I have. Below "Made in France" is a diamond with the Parker Arrow in it with a "P" above and below the shaft.

Does anyone have any more information about these or have any more turned up?

Definitely a cool Thing your nib!

I have a french Parker 61 with 18ct. nib...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6536976423_427ef639ba_b.jpg

The funny ying/Yang symbol on your nib is the hallmark.

Christof

BUT according to French law it can not be called a gold nib... in France anything designated as gold MUST BE at least 18K gold...

I have no doubt that Parker pens with 14K nibs were sold all over France... but they could not legally be advertised as having gold nibs.

I've seen information that says that minimum Gold content for French domestic use was negated in '94.

True or not, that point is moot relative to a discussion of French 51 nibs.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thank you contributors, this has been one of the most concise and educational posts I have read on the FPN.

• 2 years later...

I just came across that exact nib in a Canadian made Parker 51 Vac... I'm guessing the nib was replaced since my date on the nib is also 1953, and vacumatic P51 stopped being produced before that. Great educational post.

Do markings such as 'FRANCE' and 'MADE IN FRANCE' make any difference? I have 14k nibs with just FRANCE imprint and 18k nibs with MADE IN FRANCE imprints.

Khan M. Ilyas

This thread escaped my attention in 2010! Very interesting, one of my English nibs from 1950 has the same B.P. marking, and has a very similar tipping grind.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I have an 18k nib that was made in England, it just has the Parker maker's mark.

fpn_1465592407__1305811795214.jpg

fpn_1465592464__1305811781586.jpg

I have a Parker 17 18k nib that was made in France which has similar markings to the OP's, in particular the symbol mentioned as resembling a yin-yang.

fpn_1465592827__1305811723684.jpg

fpn_1465592863__1305811742076.jpg

fpn_1465593175__1305811740058.jpg

Looks like it may be "J/D" inside the circle?

• 4 years later...

I was trolling through my stash of P51 nibs looking for something to put into a Demi when I came across one marked "18k made in France" as well, and stumbled on this thread.

It looks like an XF ... would it be sacrilege to send it for retipping to a broad??

I was trolling through my stash of P51 nibs looking for something to put into a Demi when I came across one marked "18k made in France" as well, and stumbled on this thread.

It looks like an XF ... would it be sacrilege to send it for retipping to a broad??

I don't think it's a sacrelige to retip it broad, but why not go whole hog and make ir a stub? As broad a stub as you can stand? I like my 51 stub, and I actually use it about once a year.

Stubs, plum 51 pens, cocoa 51 pens and Argentine burgundy 51s, along with Ariel Kullock's beautiful creations make nice display objects. I respect the outspoken opinions of those who dislike any or all of these objects, but their preferences do not diminish my pleasure in them.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Why not just buy a retipped nib and preserve the nib you have in original condition for use later. There are more than enough nibs that need to be retipped due to damage.

Note that a big retip will require some effort getting it set for good flow.

I know people that can help.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.