Very Tired Of My Mont Blanc's

Aperture

" Let's see a group photo. "

Why?

"Surely someone who can afford so many MBs has a camera. "

Other than two point and shoot's I have a Nikon D3 with 4 Zeiss primes they are:

35 f/2.0

50 f/1.4

85 f/1.4

and my favorite 100 f/2.0

And some Nikon glass too: 50mm f/1.4, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 200-400 and 300 prime.

I also have an old Hasselblad and a Leica, both are film.

I have no interest in posting picture of my pens.

If you don't believe me you don't believe me that's all there is to it, I could care less.

All I'm doing is asking for recommendation of working pens known not to leak.

Perhaps I should have just asked for that without mentioning what seems to be the holy grail to some.

God forbid that I'd dare say something negative about MB.

Never realized I'd be accused of all these things just because I said I have leaky MB's.

Thanks

A

I don't even dare to think about what might have happened it you posted the topic in the Montblanc-Forum section! :ph34r:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aperture

• goodguy

• Scrawler

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

Aperture, there are very few pens that will be trouble free without requiring periodic maintanence, except for probably a Parker 51 that seems to go on working for ever and ever. I think your MBs will be fine when they return from service. I would expect a MTBF of about 5 years before requiring a re-lube of the piston seals.

I really cannot think of better pens to suggest, my MBs work pretty well for me(I am a DIY guy, I usually service my pens myself)

Good luck!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have no interest in posting picture of my pens.

A

I guessed that would be your response.

Edited by Blade Runner

Aperture, based on my experience with a 146, I can happily recommend a Pelikan M605 and Aurora Optima. Both are quality piston fillers that have served me well. There are approximately the same size as a 146. If you more prefer the size of the 149, try the Pelikan 800 or 1000. The only real difference between 600 and 800 is size; the 1000 has a nib that is springier (I haven't used one so I can't comment on its performance). In this size range I would also recommend a Visconti Wall Street.

From one anti MB to another

Mike

Oh Mike dont say that, you are way to much of a nice guy to be against anything :)

I agree though, if somebody doesnt "hit it" with MB then Pelikan is a swell pen to get!!!

But Goodguy, my friend, you are so very right here. Okay, I don't like MB for reasons XY as everybody knows in the meantime. And I think that if any of us doesn't like a brand "enough", they'll certainly find a reason to substantiate this. My reasons are clear but maybe this user should elaborate a little more on his doubts.

All best wishes. (honestly).

Mike :)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

" From one anti MB to another: sell your 146 and 149. Replace them with an M800 and M1000. "

There is nothing anti MB about me at all, not a shred. I quite like them. . . less the leaks.

" Do you live in a hot place? "

Yes, very.

A

Do you fill your pens in an air conditioned room, then carry them outside and in again? If so the answer to your leakage problem is to fill your pens, then squeeze a bit out, then screw your piston all the way out to leave a small air bubble that can be compressed by the expanding ink.

You must have bad luck or you are buying used/abused pens in less than pristine condition, because in the MB forum leaks are infrequently mentioned, and they are usually pens that have not been maintained properly (usually ink left to dry out in a pen). I have used MBs x 15 years, and none have leaked. I've used numerous brands of fps for much longer and only a few vintage pens with bladder holes have leaked. So you have dozens of MBs. Let's see a group photo. Surely someone who can afford so many MBs has a camera.

Agreed.

And most people will state that the MB customer service is second to none so if your pens were to develop issues then they should be able to resolve them for you.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Aperture, there are very few pens that will be trouble free without requiring periodic maintanence, except for probably a Parker 51 that seems to go on working for ever and ever. I think your MBs will be fine when they return from service. I would expect a MTBF of about 5 years before requiring a re-lube of the piston seals.

I really cannot think of better pens to suggest, my MBs work pretty well for me(I am a DIY guy, I usually service my pens myself)

Good luck!

Hari

Pens like the Parker 51, with a sac filler are less problematic in very hot climates, because the sac can give with expansion.

Do you fill your pens in an air conditioned room, then carry them outside and in again? If so the answer to your leakage problem is to fill your pens, then squeeze a bit out, then screw your piston all the way out to leave a small air bubble that can be compressed by the expanding ink.

Yes I fill them up in AC'd room. Usually around 70 degrees.

Where I live at this moment it's about a 100 outside then I go back inside where it's 70 again.

Once I get the pens back from MB I will carefully follow your suggestions.

My pens never get dry. I always rotate them and use about a week or two each pen.

They always have ink in them and are never abused in any way.

I also always write for a little while with the ones I'm not using.

Thanks

A

Where I live at this moment it's about a 100 outside then I go back inside where it's 70 again.

Once I get the pens back from MB I will carefully follow your suggestions.

My pens never get dry. I always rotate them and use about a week or two each pen.

They always have ink in them and are never abused in any way.

I also always write for a little while with the ones I'm not using.

Thanks

A

Years ago I worked in Phoenix briefly and I had this same problem. Of course, my pens were not Mont Blanc, but I found it to be a problem more with piston fillers, than with sac fillers. Also cartridge converter pens have an insulating layer of air inside the barrel that effectively buffered the temperature change. I hope you get your problem sorted out, because it would be a shame for you to be put off your pens because of it.

Having read all the posts on this thread I firmly believe that certain MB types suffer from very thin skin if not paranoia....I suspect that Aperture has lost confidence in MB pens as a result of his leak issues. This does not automatically make this thread "trolling". He is genuinely at his wits end. OK, sending them in for service seems reasonable and may well effect a cure, however the loss of confidence in the product may not be so readily fixed. So, we need to be constructive as a body, not offputting (some of the responses here would have me frequenting other pen boards in preference) and borderline insulting.

In response to the query, I would try an Aurora Optima or 88, although they may be smaller than the 146/149 they are of exceptionally good quality and unfailingly reliable. Incidentally, my regular user Waterman is pretty leak free at 93 years old - there's hope for your MB's yet.

Iechyd da pob Cymro

What are the symptoms of the leaks?

What jar said. It's hard to speculate in any direction without more information than "it leaks". Where does it leak from? Is there ink in the cap? How do you carry your pens - nib up, down...?

It's not uncommon for "leaks" to actually be ink that's ended up in the cap from jostling which then ends up on the section.

Do you have other pens that don't suffer from the same issues? There's a pretty important difference between "all my Montblanc pens leak" and "all my pens leak".

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

But Goodguy, my friend, you are so very right here. Okay, I don't like MB for reasons XY as everybody knows in the meantime.

Yes Mike, I know of your reasons why you dont like MB so much and to be honest your 146 was a BAD lemon and anyone who would go through what you went with it could be a bit peeved at MB.

Wish you would have my experience with MB as I never got a bad one (and god know I had enough MB pens go through my hands).

The FPN is a great place to visit due to nice people like you Mike :thumbup:

Respect to all

Could someone please recommend something known to be reliable and less likely to leak than MB apparently is?

Have you considered getting your leaky MBs serviced? MB service is quite inexpensive.

Unfortunately, my experience at least is that sending a MB to MB service in the US is nearly useless. I sent my leaking 146 repeatedly (no, it is not an unusual problem with these pens) and repeatedly received back the same pen, still leaking around the base of the section, accompanied by a large invoice. Finally they sealed the pen by literally slathering it with what appears to have been model airplane cement, of course destroying its appearance and resale value. Needless to say that was my last MB, and it shall remain so.

ron

But Goodguy, my friend, you are so very right here. Okay, I don't like MB for reasons XY as everybody knows in the meantime.

Yes Mike, I know of your reasons why you dont like MB so much and to be honest your 146 was a BAD lemon and anyone who would go through what you went with it could be a bit peeved at MB.

Wish you would have my experience with MB as I never got a bad one (and god know I had enough MB pens go through my hands).

The FPN is a great place to visit due to nice people like you Mike :thumbup:

Hey, Goodguy!!

It is, yes, a good place here because you have always had so many positive opinions (whereas I often gripe).---

Again, to be honest, if I had the dough, I really would work on getting a few MB Writers and Patrons Editions. I don't know anybody here who has not already found these pens to be completely reliable, and if that weren't enough, at the same time very beautiful and sophisticated in looks. I just wish that the 146s and 149s that I tried out would chime in along ....

Mike :thumbup:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hi, I keep a Parker 51 in my combat trouser knee pocket while on duty as a police officer. I chase people and grapple with resistant prisoners fairly regularly. Hence my 51 gets quite shaken up. It has NEVER leaked. It writes perfectly and never let's me down. I am out in the hot and cold weather and my pen is about 50 years old. Buy one of these and you won't ruin any more shirts.

Okay, good information.

Next, when you say the pens leak is it ink in the cap getting on the section, a leak in the body of the pen, a leak around the filler shaft?

If it is simply ink in the cap getting on the section, then I'd suggest looking away from piston filled, vacfil or other types that hold ink in the body of the pen.

I'd suggest trying a pen that uses a sac, a cartridge or a converter.

They will all have an air space between the pen body and the ink container and so should be less likely to leak because of temperature driven expansion.

In this size range I would also recommend a Visconti Wall Street.

Me, too! The regulars are c/c and the LEs have the double-reservoir power filler. The handy thing about that is that the ink can be back-drained into the barrel so there's nothing to leak when you're moving around, in and out of the air conditioning. When you're settled in the air conditioning, you can then let the ink down and you're ready to go.

As much as I love all my Visconti pens, new out of the box some of them are perfect and some of them need nib tweaking. If you buy from Bryant, he'll make sure the pen works properly before it ships.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Hi, I keep a Parker 51 in my combat trouser knee pocket while on duty as a police officer. I chase people and grapple with resistant prisoners fairly regularly. Hence my 51 gets quite shaken up. It has NEVER leaked. It writes perfectly and never let's me down. I am out in the hot and cold weather and my pen is about 50 years old. Buy one of these and you won't ruin any more shirts.

Haha! That is a great recommendation!