Very Tired Of My Mont Blanc's

Aperture

Could you please recommend another brand of fountain pens to me.

I have several 146 and 149 MB's (some new some old) and EVERYONE of them leaks.

I can't stand it any more.

It's impossible to put them in my shirts, I walk around all day with ink stained fingers, constantly have to use napkins to wipe them of etc. etc.

Could someone please recommend something known to be reliable and less likely to leak than MB apparently is?

I'll get a couple immediately!

Thanks

A

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aperture

• goodguy

• Scrawler

• Edgar Allan Bo

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Pelikan M800/805 - excellent pen, reliable with great nibs

2. Pilot 823 Custom - huge capacity, sweet nib

3. Waterman Carene - interesting design, wonderful nibs

All, no leaks!

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

My older Sheaffer's are wonderful, a Balance is a good choice they have nice smooth nibs mine is a lever filler so I couldn't tell you about the vacuum filler. Another good Sheaffer is a Snorkel mine has never really leaked and is reliable and starts every time, plus it is really fun to fill. Hope this helps.

The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

? Do they really bleed that much? I do read comments that they are overpriced, but there are also some on FPN who like them a lot and others who acknowledge their quality. I have a Pelikan m205, Pilot VP, Sailor cat pen, Esterbrook, and Pilot Prera and none of them leak--the only pens that burped ink all over are some Platinum Preppies--and even then only 1 out of 3 pens.

Never heard of it! Are you sure they're leaking and not just being bumped around too much???....Other than that I'd suggest any other pen in the world and it won't happen! Thanks

So, sell the MBs to us here!

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

you could always go for the sailor 1911 full size pens. I love mine and they are about the size and shape of a mb 146. I am looking for a mb 146 in black and platinum to pair with my sailor 1911.

Go Japanese: if you like Pistons, go for a Sailor Realo 1911 or a Pilot Custom 823; if you don't mind c/c, try a custom Nakaya...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Could someone please recommend something known to be reliable and less likely to leak than MB apparently is?

Have you considered getting your leaky MBs serviced? MB service is quite inexpensive.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hmm...

Montblanc's should 'not' leak. Especially not the new ones. Some further investigation into the cause may be warranted, they are too nice a pen to really go to waste. Try Eric/Nishke on the forums for service or MontBlanc themselves. Or posting in the repair section.

All my other pens are probably 'as' reliable but for a bit of personality, I'd suggest something Italian. Aurora 88 and Optima are fantastic and reliable piston fillers. The 'tooth' in an Aurora nib is a personal thing. I personally like the feedback, others do not. You have to decide for yourself.

Waterman Edson is reputable to be quite leak free.

umm... to be cheeky - how about a ballpoint?

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

My first FP was a Montblanc. Then I had three more: 145, 146 and Edgar Allan Poe. All of them always leak. I thought that was normal in a FP until I bought a Parker: Duofold mosaic. That was really a pen! Never leaks, always write perfectly. After that I received a Graf von Faber Castell. Wonderful, although the Parker one is better.

Now I'm waiting for a Sailor King of Pen. It will arrive in september. I will tell you about it.

Unfortunately, I can not trust anymore in Montblanc.

Edited by rogerico

Roger

I have an MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-55) Semi-flex KOB nib, and mine would have an excuse to leak, being 55 years old, but don't. Knock on Plastic.

Are you using some sort of super slippery ink?

My'50's Pelikans are ok still, but I have a a number of '50's piston fillers that the "cork" died...mostly from sitting around for a generation with dried ink in it. I have some 12 that from @ that time that still work.

New piston fillers I have a '90's Pelikan 400 and a 2005 605 don't leak.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

This maybe a 'Pig in a Poke' but has it dawned on anyone else that Mont Blanc's insistence of putting the correct filling instructions on pages 30/31 of their booklet which accompanies their pens, is a strange place to put those specific instructions? Despite the fact that most people do not read instructions anyway nowadays, it is worth mentioning here that for thoose who have read them they will discover that they are asked to drop 6-8 drops of ink from the pen back into the ink pot after filling in the 'normal' way.

I know this might sound a silly thing to suggest, but it does seem to stop the 'seeping' of ink after filling, particularly if the pen is placed in a 'breast-pocket' where very slight temperature increase [being so close to the body] causes the ink to expand, and flood the ladder feed of the pen.

I'm not suggesting that this could be the 'cure-all' for the problem experienced by 'Aperture', but it would be worth a try.

If it does work, it would seem fair to post the information here!

BTW, I have no particular interest in Mont Blanc, other than that whenever I sell one to members of the public, I always point them to those pages in the booklet, and make sure that they know how to fill the pen properly!

Truffle Finder.

Could you please recommend another brand of fountain pens to me.

I have several 146 and 149 MB's (some new some old) and EVERYONE of them leaks.

I can't stand it any more.

It's impossible to put them in my shirts, I walk around all day with ink stained fingers, constantly have to use napkins to wipe them of etc. etc.

I'll get a couple immediately!

Thanks

A

Do I smell a troll ?

I own 19 MB pens and NON of them leak!!!

I used to own many more and except one NON leaked!!!

The one that leaked (old 146) was sent to my pen tech which fixed it free of charge and it was a good reliable writer after that.

In any case if you want good pens then I would say any major pen maker makes good pens

1.Omas

2.Pelikan

3.Parker

4.Visconti

5.Aurora

6.Sailor

7.Pilot

8.Sheaffer

And the list goes on and on.

Good luck

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

I am sorry but I do smell a troll...

The questions defy logic.

Why would you be getting more Montblancs if the first one (and second one) leaks like what you have described. Do you keep on banging your head onto a wall over and over again until you finally realise you aren't getting through?

You sounded like that you have not seen pens from other brands, and the place where you lives only sells Montblancs... But does such places exist? Do you live inside a Montblanc boutique and never come out? There are millions of other fountain pens sold in stationary shops, many decent ones and many inexpensive too.

What is the aim of the question? Are you trying to get the "best pen in the world" or just "pen that is better than my Montblanc", there is no answer to the former, and if it is the latter then based on what you describe, any fountain pen (non-fakes) you get from your local store would probably do, so why ask.

Looking at Aperature's other topics and posts, I'm not smelling any troll. What I'm seeing is someone who has had a run of misfortune with a particular brand for reasons we have yet to discern.

Aperature, where are you getting your pens?

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.