Another "first Fountain Pen" Pretender

Vintagepens

Of course, please add the translation!

I should also point out that this pen design is still missing a very important component: the feed. As with the so-called "Bion" pens of the previous century, there really isn't anything controlling the flow of ink -- just a small hole through which it can drip.

Thank you, I published it, putting reference to here and your blog. Someday I will also translate it in italian, but english and french are good enough for the most part of people.

As for the patent meaning, that one you were pointing is exactly the reason because this invention, in my absolutely personal idea of what a "stilografica" is, cannot considered to be one. I'm using the italian word for fountain pen because fountain pen has probably a wider meaning.

For me "stilografica" means a pen were ink go to paper through the nib coming from a reservoir without any kind of active mechanical action. Squeezing the body, opening valves, activating pistons, if a writing instrument needs such kind of action I don't consider it to be a real "stilografica".

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vintagepens

• simp

• rhr

• rochester21

One funny thing is that the postal address indicated by Pierre Poyenar in this document is "Rue de Tournon" (page 6) ... a famous address known by many pen lovers because André MORA is established there ! ;)

That's an amazing coincidence, I've heard of Mora Pens, but I don't know directly them. I would be nice to have them noticed about this.

Simone

One funny thing is that the postal address indicated by Pierre Poyenar in this document is "Rue de Tournon" (page 6) ... a famous address known by many pen lovers because André MORA is established there ! ;)

That's an amazing coincidence, I've heard of Mora Pens, but never been there. I would be nice to have them noticed about this.

Simone

I will inform André Mora. He is a good friend.

I know him also of course :) ... but let you do it !

I really enjoyed reading this research thread. Well done to all who persevered 'til the matter was resolved.

• 1 year later...

There is a good resolution pdf of the patent at http://www.fountainpen.it/images/a/ae/Patent-FR-Poenaru.pdf

You can see the concept of the fountain pen - it is definitely quite rough, compared to the later developments.

I found on the same website some explanations about how the ink reaches the nib.

"The advantages of this pen over those already existing for the same purpose, being that the tube A is of quill rather than of metal or glass, the instrument is by this means much lighter, less breakable, and to make the ink arrive at the point of the nib, it is not necessary to shake the pen, which is very inconvenient, all that is required is simply to squeeze the tube A with the fingers and the ink will in this manner be made to flow in greater quantity through the little hole drilled in the center of the base of the little holder F, fig. 2. This method also remediates any problems arising from temperature differences between the metals."

There is a good resolution pdf of the patent at http://www.fountainpen.it/images/a/ae/Patent-FR-Poenaru.pdf

Hem, yes, it's the one I did.

As previously said I found the patent in the French archive, and got permission to republish it. David is the author of the translation you cited (original is in french) and it's also published here...

Regrards

Simone