Pilot Or Sailor

Jay Jay

I've never dipped into eBay. And have no interest in the bidding thing. But if that seller does 'buy now' at a reasonable price, that could work. If they shipped over this way (a lot of people won't). Do you recall the seller's name? Or I'll gett googlin'.

And I also wondered that about the Pro Gear. But if I posted the pen, and it was a tad bigger than the Sapporo, maybe to add to list ...

This seller (NOT AFFLIATED/RELATED) quoted me the same price for other nibs (no bidding, buy it now):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pilot-Namiki-Custom-742-Fountain-Pen-14K-FALCON-New-/170519994356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

You just have to inquire, he'll get the pen for you and post it on eBay with "buy it now."

I asked the seller for other nibs, but at the end changed my mind and didn't ask him to get it for me.

Edited by Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay Jay

• amateriat

• raigne

• farseer911

I've never dipped into eBay. And have no interest in the bidding thing. But if that seller does 'buy now' at a reasonable price, that could work. If they shipped over this way (a lot of people won't). Do you recall the seller's name? Or I'll gett googlin'.

And I also wondered that about the Pro Gear. But if I posted the pen, and it was a tad bigger than the Sapporo, maybe to add to list ...

This seller (NOT AFFLIATED/RELATED) quoted me the same price for other nibs (no bidding, buy it now):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pilot-Namiki-Custom-742-Fountain-Pen-14K-FALCON-New-/170519994356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

You just have to inquire, he'll get the pen for you and post it on eBay with "buy it now."

Info most appreciated. Many thanks!

Hi,

I have a few Pilot C74s, one with a SFM nib. It's home is the 'Goody Box' - well above the clouds. Something about that pen + nib combo really hits the spot. Excellent balance and ergonomics for all day long-haul writing. And the nib is nothing short of amazing: it gives a springy feel that makes it very comfy, without the 'uncertain' squishiness of a flex (e.g. FA) nib. There is a short description of these 'Soft' nibs on richardspens.com. He also sells them, so the nib & flow would be inspected and brought to their standards. That pen and similar service may be available from other sources as well. ;-)

The Sailors I have are fitted with the more goofy & outrageous nibs, so I can only comment on the pens: they're more than fine.

My daily writer is a Parker Sonnet, and these days I'm using a Red Super 21 off-duty. So that gives you an idea of the size & weight of pens that I use most of the time.

I've used the C74 + SFM in some of my Ink Reviews, so there are writing samples in that Forum (Seems that gets more views for pen samples / comparison than Ink Reviews! :huh:)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thank you for that. I *do* post my pens, automatically almost - my little writing tic - so, OK, a Sapporo could be on the cards. My paws are smallish and medium, if you like ...

Pilot 74 may not be for you then. You can post it, but not reliably, and you may scratch the plastic on the barrel. I don't post mine. The pen still has decent weight to it and feels balanced to me without the cap, but I have small hands.

I have posted mine for years. It s a pen, the finish only dulls slightly and you can correct most of that with a silver polishing cloth. Almost non noticable on the demonstrator. you will get more cosmetic scratches from daily use than from posting. I carry mine daily and they look like pens I use. but not in a bad way.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

Thank you for that. I *do* post my pens, automatically almost - my little writing tic - so, OK, a Sapporo could be on the cards. My paws are smallish and medium, if you like ...

Pilot 74 may not be for you then. You can post it, but not reliably, and you may scratch the plastic on the barrel. I don't post mine. The pen still has decent weight to it and feels balanced to me without the cap, but I have small hands.

I have posted mine for years. It s a pen, the finish only dulls slightly and you can correct most of that with a silver polishing cloth. Almost non noticable on the demonstrator. you will get more cosmetic scratches from daily use than from posting. I carry mine daily and they look like pens I use. but not in a bad way.

I'm not really concerned about cosmetic marks on my pens, but I mention it because other may be. I buy durable things because I beat the hell out of everything I own (not on purpose of course). But for some reason, my cap will just not stay posted. *shrug*

Edited by raigne

Hi,

I have a few Pilot C74s, one with a SFM nib. It's home is the 'Goody Box' - well above the clouds. Something about that pen + nib combo really hits the spot. Excellent balance and ergonomics for all day long-haul writing. And the nib is nothing short of amazing: it gives a springy feel that makes it very comfy, without the 'uncertain' squishiness of a flex (e.g. FA) nib. There is a short description of these 'Soft' nibs on richardspens.com. He also sells them, so the nib & flow would be inspected and brought to their standards. That pen and similar service may be available from other sources as well. ;-)

The Sailors I have are fitted with the more goofy & outrageous nibs, so I can only comment on the pens: they're more than fine.

My daily writer is a Parker Sonnet, and these days I'm using a Red Super 21 off-duty. So that gives you an idea of the size & weight of pens that I use most of the time.

I've used the C74 + SFM in some of my Ink Reviews, so there are writing samples in that Forum (Seems that gets more views for pen samples / comparison than Ink Reviews! :huh:)

Bye,

S1

Thanks S1. I'll check out those samples. A SFM nib would be a new experience for me, for sure.

My Sonnet has never really done it for me. But it is a cheaper one with stainless steel gold-plated M nib. Too wet mostly. Only on certain papers does it please me.

I went for the Pilot Custom 823, the vacuum filler model. It's a pen with a reasonable amount of girth, for people like me who require that. It is the most wonderful pen to write with. My nib has a Medium point, which is very smooth, and tolerant of rotational drift and meandering writing angles. Out of eight pens I currently have inked, it is the one I reach for most often. I'm not sure, but I think I smile every time I pick it up. It never disappoints. Good luck on your search.

+1 I've got a broad and a medium. Both absolutely reliable and with many good qualities.

FA nibs?

Japanese semi-flex ... I just love old German semi-flex nibs. I'm missing OBB and BB and an EF semi-flex.

I just got my first semi-flex (Western)Fine nib, that when the old pen is re-corked, I am going to retire all but one regular Fine* I have. Because of how wonderful that Fine is, I am now in the hunt for a semi-flex EF.

* Regular flex shades nicely with a good shading ink, and "dryer and there for lighter" than semi-flex, so I will keep a full assortment of regular nibs.

Living in Germany, I do not think Japan.

I have heard that Japanese nibs are more springy than semi-flex.

Does any one have any experience with '50's German semi-flex and Japanese semi-flex so I can get a comparison.

How much difference is there in Spiderweb and baby spider web nibs (XXF, XXXF), between regular and semi-flex?

I have a three pens with slightly or barely Flexible nibs. I am interested suddenly in how real flexible are the "FA" nibs. I have an old Wet Noodle needing re-tipping, and am not ready for Wet Noodles.

I am looking for something in the middle between a F-1 maxi-semi-flex or slightly Flexible, and a Wet Noodle.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I also was wondering, if I went in the Pilot 742 direction, whether the FA nib was the go. I've noted various opinions, including that it can skip a bit, which would annoy me greatly. My preference is for nibs towards fine but not so fine they become toothy and not too wet either.

The 742 is an optimally sized pen, larger than the 74 and just slightly smaller than the 743. If you want a little bit of flair/line variation, then I suggest the "Soft" nibs available in widths SF/SFM/SM. These will not railroad as the FA will sometimes do. The soft nibs have a pleasant springiness to them. BTW, I have a 743FA and I have never faced a railroading issue with it. I have heard that the 742FA is more prone to railroading... YMMV

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I'm not going to be much help because I've been very impressed with both my Sailors and my Pilots. I recommend deciding whether you want a firm or a soft nib. If you want firm, go with Sailor. If you want soft, go with Pilot.

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Thanks S1. I'll check out those samples. A SFM nib would be a new experience for me, for sure.

My Sonnet has never really done it for me. But it is a cheaper one with stainless steel gold-plated M nib. Too wet mostly. Only on certain papers does it please me.

Hi,

I used the SFM nib in the very recent IR of the Caran d'Ache 'Grand Canyon'.

Also, I have some written samples with that pen+nib using the Pilot Blue ink, (not yet posted), so PM me if you want an early copy of those.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have a Sailor 1911 21K (full size) with F nib, and a Pilot Custom 742FA. Very similar size, nibs completely different. I love them both. Never tried a 742 with F nib against the Sailor, but I have other Pilot pens. I have more Pilot pens than any other brand, although all but the 742 are lower end Pilots, and I only have 3 Sailors, one of which is a semi-disposable School Pen. If you get an opportunity, try one of each you are considering.

Donnie

Hi Donnie, I'd love to be able to try, but no cigar here in Adelaide. There is one pen retailer left here and the only Japanese pen they have is a Pilot VP. I had one of those once, lost it (my bad), but was never entirely happy with the clip grip thing so I've never been inclined to shell out the cash again for another. Even in the other Australian cities I visit I haven't seen either the Pilots or Sailors I'm contemplating in any pen shop or pen section. The Kinokuniya bookshop in Sydney carries the Preppies and some slightly more expensive Japanese pens, but not these, at least not in any of my recent visits. Living on the edge of the known universe has both its advantages and, in this instance, disadvantages.

I sort of know how you feel. The only pen shop in the Dallas area is a Paradise Pens, which has limited selection, mostly higher end pens, and charges full retail. If I ran a shop and had to pay the rent the Galleria charges (the Paradise Pens in in the Galleria) I would charge full retail and stock mostly high end also.

I was not able to try either before buying, but I am very pleased with both purchases. The only Japanese pens I purchased and regretted were a Pro Gear and a 1911 21K with Zoom nib. The Pro Gear just did not fit my hand, and the Zoom nib didn't work for me, so I had Mike Masuyama of Mike it Work (not affiliate) turn it into a Nagainato Togi nib for me, and it still did not work for me, so I sold the Pro Gear and the Togi 1911.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Thanks to everyone for your advice and input.

I'm still pondering but now with focus - and I'm much clearer now that I will go in the Pilot direction, as the Sailor nibs sound as though they could be unreliable.

I now need to consult my wallet to decide if it's C823, 743, 742 or 74. Availability may also determine that, ie who will ship to Aus.

But I will give the FA nib a miss as it doesn't sound like what I'm after. Some kind of medium nib is what I will chase, maybe soft. As to looks, something other than black would be nice but it will depend.

I am now going to research some sellers including those suggested.

I'm still pondering but now with focus - and I'm much clearer now that I will go in the Pilot direction, as the Sailor nibs sound as though they could be unreliable.

Er ... you don't seem to be reading the same thread or the same FPN as myself. As I posted earlier I think both brands are excellent. But please, please practice a little self-awareness of human psychology. You had *one* post in this thread relating an unfavourable experience with Sailor. Read the thread again, and look around FPN some more. I heartily endorse buying Pilot ... excellent pens ... but sheesh, don't enter "Sailor nibs are unreliable" as a fact in your fountain pen knowledge base.

Yup. I have smallish asian hands, and the Sapporo does fine for me. I think it handles a bit smaller than the Pelikan 215, but not much.

Don't own any pilots yet so can't compare between them, but i can vouch for Sailor pens.

Best value for money IMO.

Er ... you don't seem to be reading the same thread or the same FPN as myself. As I posted earlier I think both brands are excellent. But please, please practice a little self-awareness of human psychology. You had *one* post in this thread relating an unfavourable experience with Sailor. Read the thread again, and look around FPN some more. I heartily endorse buying Pilot ... excellent pens ... but sheesh, don't enter "Sailor nibs are unreliable" as a fact in your fountain pen knowledge base.

Er ... I actually said 'could be' after pondering a rather definite statement posted by someone else, which no-one contradicted at the time.

Yes, there were votes for Sailor but if you'd read my posts I'm in no position to try them, I'm going on advice (which, naturally, can be contradictory) and don't have money to burn. If someone has indicated there may be a current issue with Sailor's quality control then, as I am thinking of buying now, it's something I should consider. I understand the difference between opinion and fact but, in the end, I have to weigh the opinions and sometimes contradictory 'facts' offered, presumably in good faith, to make a specific decision.

I have read FPN as a guest, often, that's why I joined and was asking for further clarification, that's why I asked about Sailor and Pilot - in fact, I was attracted to the thought of buying a Sailor, knowing their reputation - so, of course, I did read this thread closely and in my last post I was thanking people (actually), I was being appreciative of people's input and, indeed, I'd hoped, being polite. I like pens and was, until now, enjoying being amongst the company of those who like them and use them.

Hmm, I thought FPN was a friendly or at least respectful place where people would not jump on you, call into question your self-awareness and intelligence, or generally lecture you, unlike many of the social forums on the internet, but maybe not so.

Anyway, thank you for contribution to my search.

Edited by Jay Jay

Yup. I have smallish asian hands, and the Sapporo does fine for me. I think it handles a bit smaller than the Pelikan 215, but not much.

Don't own any pilots yet so can't compare between them, but i can vouch for Sailor pens.

Best value for money IMO.

Thanks for that thought. It was one of my main concerns regarding the Sailors at that level and a few other people have mentioned that the Sailor Sapporo, posted, can overcome that feeling of it being smallish. I know the Pelikan you mention so that comparison is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

sailor, by far has the smoothest nib i've tried so far. i've tried pilot in a pen shop and own graf von faber castel, nakaya, and omas, but i think sailor is the winner.

-rudy-

-rudy-

sailor, by far has the smoothest nib i've tried so far. i've tried pilot in a pen shop and own graf von faber castel, nakaya, and omas, but i think sailor is the winner.

-rudy-

Cool. Thank you for that.

I still have not yet made a move. Life has overtaken me - as it does - so I will still be needing to decide pilot / sailor ... etc. Is your Sailor a fine or medium?

-rudy-

Cool. Thank you for that.

I still have not yet made a move. Life has overtaken me - as it does - so I will still be needing to decide pilot / sailor ... etc. Is your Sailor a fine or medium?

My experience is similar to Rudy's. When I went looking for an extra fine nib for editing and interlineation, I found the Sailor fine the smoothest of all the fine/extra-fines I tried. I have been extremely happy with it, and now have three Sailors -- a fine, a medium-fine, and a concord emperor -- and wouldn't give up any of the three. All three perform flawlessly. My sense, for what it's worth, is that Pilot is more focused on innovation and novelty (such as the Parallel, Pluminix/Plumix, and Falcon nibs and the 823 filling system), where Sailor seems to focus more on simply improving nib and feed performance.