Fabriano - Blu Cielo

Sandy1

Please take a moment to adjust the brightness & contrast of your monitor to accurately depict this Gray Scale.

As the patches are neutral gray, their colour on your monitor should also be neutral gray.

Mac LINK

Figure 1.

Gray Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576.jpg

Figure 2.

Swabs: Waterman Florida Blue. Fabriano blu cielo.

Swatch: Drawn with a Pilot Parallel Pen, 1.5mm tip.

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Fabriano%20-%20Blu%20Cielo/INK676.jpg

Figure 3.

NIB-ism LINK

Depicts nib line-width and pens' relative wetness.

WRITTEN SAMPLES: Moby Dick

In a departure from previous practice, the layout was changed to make The Look of each sample more apparent.

Text is also repeated - just to bore you.

Row Heights:

• Narrow nibs: 6mm.
  • Other nibs: 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Fabriano%20-%20Blu%20Cielo/INK680.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Fabriano%20-%20Blu%20Cielo/INK681.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Fabriano%20-%20Blu%20Cielo/INK682.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Fabriano, Notes Tela.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Fabriano%20-%20Blu%20Cielo/INK683.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Fabriano%20-%20Blu%20Cielo/INK684.jpg

OTHER SAMPLES:

Figure 9.

• 'HAPPY!' on Glossy Card.
  • Smear/Dry Time on Glossy Paper.
  • Smear/Dry Time on HPJ1124.
  • Wet Tests on HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Fabriano%20-%20Blu%20Cielo/INK677.jpgGENERAL DESCRIPTION:

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Daily writer?

• A stretch.

A go-to ink?

• When one looks for a highly malleable cool pale blue, this is it.

USES:

Business:

• While this ink exudes class, and is not frivolous, it is short on boardroom gravitas.
  • I certainly could see it being used for internal correspondence.
  • Almost enough zip for mark-up / editing.
  • Does not suit error correction or grading of assignments

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Quite possible.
  • Care required:
    • Depending on paper & writer, blu cielo can generate impressive shading, or it can also be a monotone saturated ink
    • On lesser papers, the line width and quality can be more than a bit plump & wooly, with feathering if mishandled/mismatched.

Students:

• Nope.
  • Too likely to feather or bleed- show-through inexpensive papers.
  • May not be sufficiently robust.

Personal:

• Absolutely.
  • As the ink is malleable, it can appear saturated or well-shaded, and so convey a range of nuance beyond colour alone.
  • Wide sharp/crisp Italic nibs may be contrary to the nature of the ink.
  • A very good ink to use when inviting me to go heli-skiing in the Andes. (For the deep powder, I'll bring my 18" snorkel.)

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS:

Flow Rate:

• Not quite wet, so 'willing' it is.

Nib Dry-out:

• Too busy writing to notice.

Start-up:

• Immediate.

Lubrication:

• Feels a bit lean, but is really really good.
  • Definitely enhances the writing experience.
  • Nib feedback seemed accentuated, so keeping the nib running dead-on the sweet spot was so very easy. (If your nib is a bit wonky, it'll drive you nuts with this ink.)

Nib Creepies:

• None.

Staining:

• None after 3 days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed Through:

• Yes: HPJ1124, Pulp & Fabriano 'Notes Tela'.
  • I mean really - on their own paper!!??!!

Show Through:

• Of the papers used, only on the Rhodia & the G Lalo could one write on both sides.
  • However, if one chooses a not-so-wide drier nib, it may come right. Tsk.

Smear/Dry Time (Figure 9)

• Glossy: 12 - 15 seconds.
  • HPJ1124: 12 - 15 seconds.

Water Resistance (Figure 9)

• -3- on the 4S Scale. :-)
    • "All legible, but either very faint and/or have heavy staining from re-deposit of soluble ink.
    • Needs recovery/restoration for anything beyond personal use."

Smell:

• Earthy, like cracked old leather convertible upholstery: rained on & sun baked.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• None noticed.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

Clean Up:

• Very fast and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated limitation.
  • Mixing this ink will certainly deplete one's ink karma.

THE LOOK:

• Ciao bella!

Presence:

• For a pale colour, this is a dynamic ink with substance.
  • Not wishy-washy or indecisive.
  • It definitely comes off the paper to engage the reader, in a polite cool-but-convivial manner.
  • A cool dry handshake on a hot muggy day.
  • The coolness from the Cyan creates an interesting dynamic in combination with the potential for softening through shading.

Saturation:

• Very possible from narrow nibs. (Also M nibs, but not shown.) LINK

Shading:

Feathering:

• Apparent on lesser papers, especially with wet wide writers.
  • ('Wet wide writers' is today's tongue-twister.)

Variance depending on pen+nib combos used:

• Substantial.
  • While The Look from the Written Samples is 'fairly' consistent, there is a lot of potential to develop a personal Look with this ink; it is worth the time & effort to find combination of writer and paper for The Look one wants.
  • Once again, some will find this malleability frustrating.

FIDELITY:

Is the name appropriate?

• Blue Sky? Sky Blue? You pick.

Are swatches accurate?

• The box and bottle have an image of an FP nib outlined in supposedly blu cielo, which is small, not all that accurate, and so is almost useless. Tsk!! (>_<)
  • Cannot be taken seriously.
  • No online samples were found. Tsk. Tsk.

SIMILAR COLOURS:

• Within a well populated region of the Colour Wheel, this ink is without peer.
  • From a great distance at night, on the weather deck during a typhoon on the Java Sea, blu cielo might be mistaken for a somewhat different ink.

PAPERS:

Lovely papers:

• Crisp brilliant white paper.

Trip-wire Papers:

• Anything likely to bleed-through or feather.
  • No grids or dots. (Leave the Whitelines with the hard man at the door.)
  • Anything with more texture than GL's VdF.

Tinted Papers:

• Has enough presence to manage well on a natural to pale ivory page.
  • Nothing too warm, not rose nor violet; nor a blue.
  • If one chooses to have a heavily shaded Look, then watch-out for the tint of the paper altering the colour of the lightest shaded areas.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Yes - to the extent that feathering and bleed-through do not occur.

OTHER THAN INK:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Fabriano%20-%20Blu%20Cielo/INK595.jpg

Presentation :

• Bottle in a box.
  • Volume not stated. (It is 30ml.)
  • No HazMat warnings.

Country of origin:

• Italy.

Container:

• A simple, clear glass thin-walled cube, 58mm tall when capped.
  • The centred round opening seems snug: 20mm in diameter.
  • Single tank, no sediment collector, no filling aid. Tsk Tsk ... Tsk.
  • The soft plastic screw cap is made from grippy material - recycled Pirellis perhaps.
  • The cap is not child-proof.
  • The cap seal is plastic. (^_^)

Box:

• 40x58x40mm
  • Flimsy uncoated matte black card stock. (Ackkk! Quello è un grande errore!!)
  • Begs to be re-enforced from the inside. (Gorilla Tape?)
  • Not suitable for stacking, which is OK - this ink loves to be on top.
  • Labeled on front & bottom of box, litho-ed in 'blu cielo' and black.
  • When doing this box, Fabrino left their 'A Game' in the car park; over-caffeinated Lambretta-riding, up-skirting first year interns could do better. Bah!

Eco-Green:

• OK.
  • All should be recyclable or benign.

Availability:

• I bought this ink during a stop-over in Europe. (Thankful for the small bottle in a cr*ppy boring box.)
  • The main Fabriano site shows locations of their boutiques, but not other retailers. http://www.fabrianob....com/stores.asp
  • It's worth going to Italy to buy this ink.

ETC:

Majik:

• With some conjuring, there is Majik.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Tricky. I like the Waterman on the Rhodia.
  • (My next step was to a 0.5 Cursive Italic on a Sheaffer with the firm 18K inlaid nib; almost there, maybe Clairefontaine Triomphe and a 7mm row height next.)

Yickity Yackity:

• I should go to Italy more often.
  • Ah kushbaby, after clothes & leathers, one could hit the Fabriano boutique. Blue on the rocks. Cool. And you should see it from the light blue Stipula with the Ti nib - oooolala

{*:=X=:*}~{*:=x=:*}~{*:=+=:*}\-/{*:=+=:*}~{*:=x=:*}~{*:=X=:*}

MATERIEL USED:

To be relevant to most members, I make an effort to use papers, pens & nibs that are readily available, for which I paid $100 or less, and are 'factory stock' - not customised.

These pen+nib combos were used:

Parker 51 + 18K F.

http://i783.photobuc...cans/PEN714.jpg

Rotring 600 + steel F.

http://i783.photobuc...cans/PEN342.jpg

Waterman + 18K M.

http://i783.photobuc...cans/PEN441.jpg

Pelikan M200 + M200-series g-p steel M

http://i783.photobuc...cans/PEN345.jpg

Esterbrook J + 9968 steel B

http://i783.photobuc...cans/PEN713.jpg

Sailor Demo + 18K MS.

http://i783.photobuc...cans/PEN445.jpg

For lines & labels:

• Pilot XF with Visconti Red & Green. (Italy colours, yes?)

On these papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia, Pad 18.
  • G Lalo, 'Verge de France' white. (51, M200 & Sailor.)
  • Fabriano, 'Notes Tela' ivory. (51, M200 & Sailor.)
  • Pulp: One-a-day calendar page.
  • Glossy paper.
  • Glossy card.

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 150 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted other than straightening using iPhoto on a MacBook, but most went straight to the file sharing thingy.

-30-

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Phormula

• Strang

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm continually astounded by the breadth and depth of your reviews. Thanks for all the hard work, though I'm sure it's a labour of love. I've been curious about the Fabriano line, and I'm glad to hear this one is well behaved: it inspires enough confidence that I'll likely pick up a bottle, though probably not Blu Ciel: turquoisey blues aren't really my thing.

I'm continually astounded by the breadth and depth of your reviews. Thanks for all the hard work, though I'm sure it's a labour of love. I've been curious about the Fabriano line, and I'm glad to hear this one is well behaved: it inspires enough confidence that I'll likely pick up a bottle, though probably not Blu Ciel: turquoisey blues aren't really my thing.

Hi,

There was a fellow, years ago (in my parent's era), who condensed years of academic effort into a few words, "The medium is the message." Ink is the carrier of the words and shapes with which one communicates. And so, ink is to me the most important thing going on with FPs. And worth my time and effort.

From what I've seen, the Fabriano palette has fewer colours than a small box of Crayolas. But I'm doing a lot Turquoise these days, and believe me - this one has a lot going for it. There is an ever-so-slight hardness to The Look. Sort of the aerial version of Cd'A Caribbean Sea. (?)

Please, let us know what else lurks in Fabriano's bottles.

Bye,

S1

Ach, I read a little closer (I get distracted by the pretty pictures), and the bleedthrough might be a deal breaker. But the Verde Smeraldo has begun to call my name...

Ryan.

Ach, I read a little closer (I get distracted by the pretty pictures), and the bleedthrough might be a deal breaker. But the Verde Smeraldo has begun to call my name...

Ryan.

Hi,

The bleed-through on the lesser papers was a considerable disappointment, performance-wise. But I've rarely used both sides of a sheet, (even in my student days - the back was reserved for additional notes germane to the front of the sheet.)

It was minor, but any bleed-through gets mentioned - but not 'worth' a scan, OK?

Emerald Green really might have some potential. If they could do an 'Eclat de Saphir' in Green, that would be very interesting indeed. :D

Bye,

S1

I've never even heard of this inkhmm1.gif... Where can you buy it?

Thanks for the review.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I've never even heard of this inkhmm1.gif... Where can you buy it?

Thanks for the review.

Hi,

That info is in the Review, under 'OTHER THAN INK - Availability':

• I bought this ink during a stop-over in Europe. (Thankful for the small bottle in a cr*ppy boring box.)
  • The main Fabriano site shows locations of their boutiques, but not other retailers. http://www.fabrianob....com/stores.asp
  • It's worth going to Italy to buy this ink.

Maybe I should have a ToC for my Reviews. (Ann would have my head on a pike, for sure this time!)

Bye,

S1

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the review.

Such pretty colour, I must go buy it someday.

God, I am excited.

If any of you ever get to visit Korea, visit Kyobo bookstore in Gwanghwamun (which is also in my capital, Seoul). They have Hot Tracks, a place they sell all fancy stationary stuff (it is quite large for Korea, but probably not that impressive to outsiders. Actually, the one in Gwanghwamun is quite small than one in Kangnam). Not that they do not have Rhodia and all, but... still. When I last visited, they had a Fabriano Botique section, with all their stuff, and of course, the inks. I am not sure of the Kyobo bookstore in Kangnam. I have seen them, but the one in Gwanghwamun has a bigger section for them. Yes, Kangnam has bigger Hot Tracks... ironic to me.

Thank you for the review.

Such pretty colour, I must go buy it someday.

God, I am excited.

If any of you ever get to visit Korea, visit Kyobo bookstore in Gwanghwamun (which is also in my capital, Seoul). They have Hot Tracks, a place they sell all fancy stationary stuff (it is quite large for Korea, but probably not that impressive to outsiders. Actually, the one in Gwanghwamun is quite small than one in Kangnam). Not that they do not have Rhodia and all, but... still. When I last visited, they had a Fabriano Botique section, with all their stuff, and of course, the inks. I am not sure of the Kyobo bookstore in Kangnam. I have seen them, but the one in Gwanghwamun has a bigger section for them. Yes, Kangnam has bigger Hot Tracks... ironic to me.

Hi,

You are welcome!

It so happens I wrote a note on Saturday with this ink. It still is impressive when the paper and pen are well chosen - otherwise it can misbehave!

OBTW, I'd be a bit careful about the Fabriano papers for FP use. The paper I have is prone to bleed-through if the pen is even just a tiny bit too wet.

And you must tell us about their 'cioccolato' Brown ink!!

Bye,

S1

There I sit with 5 Turquoise inks.

And an Ink came knock, knock, knocking at my door.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

There I sit with 5 Turquoise inks.

And an Ink came knock, knock, knocking at my door.

Hi,

Turquoise inks are always close to hand.

The scope of what qualifies as a 'Turquoise' colour seems quite variable, and depends a great deal on the density of the ink: when a Turquoise ink is run at high density (darker tone) it might be considered a version of Blue, such as the fondly remembered Sheaffer 'Peacock Blue'.

I really like the Blu Cielo when it has just a bit of shading, not too too much.

Bye,

S1

I wonder about more current stocks of this ink. Mine is a year old, bought from Stylus Pens in Edmonton, and a dark purply blue. Very nice, different than most others, but definitely not anything close to turquoise. If I can get a scan, I'll add it.

Sandy, thanks for the review.

I use Fabriano notebooks for my daily office notes, Fabriano is one of the anciest paper producer in Europe and the current supplier of the paper used to print Euro notes. Back in school, I used to do my technical and art drawing on Fabriano paper. Never tried Fabriano inks, I go with cartridges.

Their notebooks, at least the one are quite resistant to bleed through and, indeed, the squared ones I am using, are meant to be used on one side only (the back is plain white, no squares or rules).

Edited by Phormula

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

I wonder about more current stocks of this ink. Mine is a year old, bought from Stylus Pens in Edmonton, and a dark purply blue. Very nice, different than most others, but definitely not anything close to turquoise. If I can get a scan, I'll add it.

Hi,

The ink I used was purchased shortly before the Review was posted. It seems to match its name, and the colour indicated by the nib device shown on the packaging scanned in the Review. The ink remains that colour - it has not degraded since purchase.

Bye,

S1

Sandy, thanks for the review.

I use Fabriano notebooks for my daily office notes, Fabriano is one of the anciest paper producer in Europe and the current supplier of the paper used to print Euro notes. Back in school, I used to do my technical and art drawing on Fabriano paper. Never tried Fabriano inks, I go with cartridges.

Their notebooks, at least the one are quite resistant to bleed through and, indeed, the squared ones I am using, are meant to be used on one side only (the back is plain white, no squares or rules).

Ciao,

Many thanks for letting us know more about Fabriano paper. It is good that you have found some of their notebooks to have paper good enough for daily use. And providing a link to their catalogue, but I'm not confident that site is well maintained / current.

Arrivederci,

S1

Thanks, :thumbup:

Actually Fabriano has two main lines of products, the daily use, office paper and drawing ones, and the "boutique" design ones.

The inks belong to the latter. Hereyou can download the whole catalog, writing instruments are at the end, page 88.

The writing pads for my daily use are less exotic and I can buy in my small town stationery store at a price that is comparable to similar products from Clairefontaine. I love them because of the favourable cost to ink performance ratio, they are among the few daily notebooks that can be used with a blue-black, broad nib FP without turning the dot of an "i" into a mountain road tunnel.

post-49488-0-05418300-1324558360.jpg

Hi,The ink I used was purchased shortly before the Review was posted. It seems to match its name, and the colour indicated by the nib device shown on the packaging scanned in the Review. The ink remains that colour - it has not degraded since purchase.Bye,S1

Hi Sandy,

Here's what mine looks like:

post-19566-0-54962500-1324568452.jpg

post-19566-0-29679100-1324568473.jpg

Thanks, :thumbup:

Actually Fabriano has two main lines of products, the daily use, office paper and drawing ones, and the "boutique" design ones.

The inks belong to the latter. Hereyou can download the whole catalog, writing instruments are at the end, page 88.

The writing pads for my daily use are less exotic and I can buy in my small town stationery store at a price that is comparable to similar products from Clairefontaine. I love them because of the favourable cost to ink performance ratio, they are among the few daily notebooks that can be used with a blue-black, broad nib FP without turning the dot of an "i" into a mountain road tunnel.

Hi,

Thanks again for the overview of Fabriano, and the link to their catalogue - quite extensive!

Perhaps I shall give it a go when I feel like something a bit different.

(I just heard my paper & ink shelves give a collective groan.)

Bye,

S1

snip

Hi Sandy,

Here's what mine looks like:

Hi,

Many thanks for your time & effort to post a written sample from the ink in your bottle.

It certainly shows a marked difference, which cannot be attributed to density on the page or a flakey image.

I went back to the ink-on-paper originals, which are as depicted in the scans.

From what I guestimate, the pen used for your samples was wide and wet - not too dissimilar from the Sailor 1911m+MS included in the Review. Also the ink didn't act crazy [as ESSRI] on different papers, so I discount variation in papers.

I think it is reasonable to consider that there is fair basis for comparison.

So:

Your sample is of greater density, and is far less Turquoise: away from Cyan more toward the slight cobalt-sapphire aspect of the Waterman Florida Blue swab shown in Figure 2.

Screen Grab of tiled windows:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/801d419e.jpg

Clearly we have two different inks, but the labels are the same. :glare:

I have no idea why such a thing happens: Where's the QC-QA? :mad:

And what are the readers to do? Take their chances? While I certainly like the ink that's in my bottle, I don't need another ink that is like the ink in your bottle. And who knows what might be in any other bottle? http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/ouija/

Certainly not sufficiently reliable for a catalogue order; even in person I would want to see a swab. :gaah:

It happened with Everflow True Blue and OMAS Blue, and now blu cielo. What next? :bonk:

Ah well.

Peace on Earth, good will towards all. :mellow:

Bye,

S1

Clearly we have two different inks, but the labels are the same. :glare:

I have no idea why such a thing happens: Where's the QC-QA? :mad:

I guess that the reason is in the fact that Fabriano as a company (they are the luxury brand of Fedrigoni group) is a paper producer, I guess that they only manufacture paper productss in house, of stationery like pens, pencils and inks is simply outsourced, maybe to more than one company.