Twsbi Diamond 530 Review

jonro

Now that I'm a week in, I have to say my feelings on the nib have not radically changed. I actually unscrewed one of my Levenger True Writer nibs and found that the nib unit is actually exactly the same except for the Levenger/TWISBI stamping on the nib itself.

With that said, the nib not being 100% of what I hoped has not kept my hands off this pen. I have used it extensively and imagine it will continue to be a pen I reach for quite often. I see little need for another one in this trim at the moment, but different trim or possibly a color version (if I like the color) may be in my future. A broad nib would further increase my tendency to make such a purchase.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• jonro

• Lloyd

• hecya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too still love the pen but dislike the nib. Even though it is a medium, it is a narrow medium. It makes my medium Sheaffer Legacy look like a broad.

Some good news is that the Levenger nib unit is the same, has a broad width and even better there is a stub.

That's where the good news ends for me, the stub nib unit is $59 which is a lot for a steel nib especially since the whole true writer pen is $69 and the broad nib unit alone is $24. What's even worse is that Levenger don't seem to ship outside of the USA. :(

Well, the acceptable news may be that you could get the $24 in broad and send it off to Pendemonium's grinder or one of the less busy grinders and improve on the Levenger stub price. Also, I'm a bit baffled by this but they grind their medium nib to get their stub. I actually just read a blog entry by the owner/President/whatever of Levenger explaining that. Why they wouldn't grind a broad is beyond me.

ETA: One of the things I have long said about the True Writer nibs is that I can scarcely tell a F from a M from a B. In fact, one of my medium True Writers lays down a thicker line than my broad. I wouldn't call my nib on my TWSBI narrow for a medium, but I think the issue tends to be that Schmidt nibs just aren't all that consistent in line size.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Mine writes an XF to M depending on the ink. Noodlers black inks write as fine as the nib can write, but my Pilot black and Parker Quink Turquoise write more of a fine to medium.

OH, and I LOVE my xf nib, feels like my old sheaffer lifetime nibs.

Edited by watch_art

My post adjustment, post-smoothing XF writes a lovely and smooth F-XF line (depending on ink and paper).

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

The M nib on mine is a fairly dry writer, that's my only complaint. I'd like to have the flow adjusted, and I probably will eventually. However, mine also has the leaky piston, so I'll wait until that issue is resolved before getting the nib tweaked.

And with regard to Redshifteffect's VPs. . . I've had two VP nibs and they were both excellent as they came out of the box.

Since cleaning and a rubbing a very small dab of silicone lube on the piston, my piston leak has gon e away. Prior to that, ink seeped past both piston seals.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hi,

I just received the pen. I already have Pelikan M400, Sailor Sapporo, Pilot 742 FA, Esterbrook, Scheaffer, Parker 51 and a few more. Among this pen Twsbi 530 is among the finest. Quality is top notch and if you consider its price, it's almost unbeateble. Just one negative note, mine pen is EF nib, but I think it is almost M. My Sailor is F nib and its said that Japanese nibs tend to one step broader according to western nibs. Twsbi EF is even a bit broader than Sailor F to my eye. Maybe this is just my pen, but wanted to give positive feedback. :)

Overall, this is a great pen and eagerly waiting for other Twsbi equipment.

Firat CINGI - Be in peace..

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

An update: I got a message from an experienced fountainer, and learned that line width can change with the ink used. Wow, pretty cool, I did not know that. :headsmack: I inked Twsbi with an old J. Herbin and Sailor with Pelikan 4001. So this is apples and oranges. I will not make a compadison with the same ink, because I totally loved Twsbi, don't care the line width.

So tip of the day: Always own more inks (and probably papers) than your pens, cause everyone changes your pens' character. :puddle:

Firat CINGI - Be in peace..

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I get a very smooth wet line with my fine nib, and it is a little finer than my Cross XF with Florida Blue. Parker Blue-black slightly thicker dryer but still smooth. Nib is stiff, but otherwise the feel reminds me of my only Pel. Anyone think that is a fair comparison? It is light and feels very comfortable, like the Pel.

I am waiting fix for the leaky (internal) piston seal. Seller is very responsive and patient with me,

This pen has become my EDC and I have been using it almost exclusively in the office for my 10 hrs of continuous charting for the last week.

It has replaced my Pel m405 F and Porsche 3150 F for now as the one I pick up.

The pen has trained me not to twist the cap when posted, or ink squirts. I post now about 50% with it, and am trying to learn not to do it all.

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

• 2 weeks later...

Since cleaning and a rubbing a very small dab of silicone lube on the piston, my piston leak has gon e away. Prior to that, ink seeped past both piston seals.

The first time I used it, I didn't want to mess anything up, so I just inked it up. After that I disassembled it and also used a little of the silicone lube on my piston. The leak hasn't cleared up 100%, but there's only a little ink beyond the first seal and none beyond the second. Still, there should be no ink seepage at all. I don't want to have to disassemble the pen every time I want to flush it.

The first time I used it, I didn't want to mess anything up, so I just inked it up. After that I disassembled it and also used a little of the silicone lube on my piston. The leak hasn't cleared up 100%, but there's only a little ink beyond the first seal and none beyond the second. Still, there should be no ink seepage at all. I don't want to have to disassemble the pen every time I want to flush it.

Yeah, myself, along with a few others have seen our leakage clear up after about 5 or so refill/cleanings. Not saying that fixes it, or you should even have to do that in the first place... but be patient with speedy, he will be sending you out a 1.5 piston free of charge as soon as he has enough ready.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, myself, along with a few others have seen our leakage clear up after about 5 or so refill/cleanings. Not saying that fixes it, or you should even have to do that in the first place... but be patient with speedy, he will be sending you out a 1.5 piston free of charge as soon as he has enough ready.

I found thick, heavy silicone grease sold for lubricating swimming pool O-rings stopped my leaks dead in their tracks. Mine was bought cheap since the piston seals both leaked, and ... well, my pool repair experience was my gain.

• 3 weeks later...
The Diamond 530 is about the same size as the Pelikan m800

Is the diameter also about the same as the M800 (13,5 mm, barrel at its widest point)? Are modifications needed on the Diamond 530 for left handed writing?

The Diamond 530 is about the same size as the Pelikan m800

Is the diameter also about the same as the M800 (13,5 mm, barrel at its widest point)? Are modifications needed on the Diamond 530 for left handed writing?

What sort of modifications? I got mine yesterday and as a left-hander I am having no problems using it.

What sort of modifications? I got mine yesterday and as a left-hander I am having no problems using it.

Some nibs need to be modified for left handed writers. At a certain angle, some nibs do not work properly anymore. Smoothening the nib or increasing/decreasing the inkflow is sometimes the solution.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...