Twsbi Diamond 530 Review

jonro

http://gallery.me.com/jonro/100066/P1000906/web.jpg?ver=12788614630001

First Impressions (5.0)

The pen arrived in an attractive, nicely designed transparent plastic case with a white plastic base. The case, I think, is very much in keeping with the pen's design and the company's philosophy. Underneath the base was a nicely printed set of instructions as well as a tool to remove the piston filler mechanism and a small bottle of silicone grease. You get the impression that this is a fountain pen user and enthusiast’s pen and that TWSBI evidently intends that this pen will be used for a long time to come.

http://gallery.me.com/jonro/100066/P1000907/web.jpg?ver=12788614650001

Appearance (4.0)

It’s an attractive pen. This first version of the pen is only available as a demonstrator. The cap and piston filler knob are round. The barrel is round with a faceted diamond pattern. The trim is sturdy and attractive. The company’s name and the pen’s model number is laser etched on the cap band and the company’s logo is suspended in a cabochon with a red-orange base on the end cap. It’s nicely done.

http://gallery.me.com/jonro/100066/P1000910/web.jpg?ver=12788614700001

Design/Size/Weight (4.0)

The size and weight are just right for me. The Diamond 530 is about the same size as the Pelikan m800. The company obviously put a lot of thought into this pen and there is a lot to be said about the design. I don’t agree with all of their choices, but it is quality construction from the jewel to the end cap.

The body is faceted, probably the inspiration for the model name. The design looks nice enough and the faceted body won’t roll of your desk if you put your pen down uncapped, but I would have preferred a smooth round barrel. The facets slightly obscure a clear view of the interior, but this is a demonstrator and a clear view of the interior is its purpose. I find the mixed shapes between cap, barrel and end cap a bit jarring, and while the Diamond 530 is comfortable to hold, it would be more comfortable with a round barrel. This, of course, is my own personal preference. Some may feel they get a more secure grasp on their pen because of this design.

The TWSBI has a twist cap and it takes a revolution and a half to remove or replace the cap. This is pretty good, but I prefer caps that can be removed in less than a full turn. Not many pens can make that claim, although I had a Pelikan that did. There is an o-ring at the end of the section, giving the cap a slightly “mushy” feel when tightened. This was probably a design decision that helps keep an airtight seal when the cap is on the pen. I wish that TWSBI would turn their design talents to something a little more high tech, like a bayonet or magnetic locking system that is fast and secure.

The clip, cap band and the top end cap are all heavy duty stainless steel. The clip is spring loaded and the jewel makes the pen easily identifiable as a TWSBI.

The TWSBI posts securely, but does not post all the way down the end cap. It looks a little funny when posted and is quite long -- a full 7”. The designer could have tapered the end cap more, but that probably would have looked a bit strange. Regardless, the 530 is long enough to use unposted and it’s one of the few pens that I prefer to use that way.

http://gallery.me.com/jonro/100066/P1000913/web.jpg?ver=12788614660001

Nib (4.5)

The TWSBI has a Schmidt stainless steel nib engraved with their logo and some decorative markings. The nib width is laser etched near the edge of the nib. Out of the box the flow was excellent and the nib performed well. While smooth, I wish the nib had been polished with a slightly finer grit. My TWSBI came with an extra fine nib. To me, the nib runs a little wide and is what I would expect from a fine nib.

Filling System (5)

The 530 has a smooth piston filler mechanism. Interestingly, TWSBI included a tool for you to disassemble the piston if you wish. The manufacturer also includes a small bottle of silicone grease to lubricate the seals and O-rings in the future, if needed. The piston mechanism is plastic, helping to keep the pen’s weight reasonably light. I imagine that this won’t affect the longevity, but if the piston mechanism ever did need to be replaced, you could do it yourself in a few minutes.

Cost and Value (5)

What would you compare it to in this price range? The Waterman Phileas, Lamy Safari? I'm pretty sure that the Diamond 530 is the best built modern $40 fountain pen that I've seen.

Conclusion (4.5)

Intelligently designed. I think that if Pelikan released this pen and charged $150 for it, they would probably earn accolades. TWSBI’s first offering is a winner. It's a high quality fountain pen at a price that nearly anyone can afford. I look forward to new designs and styles from TWSBI.

Edited by jonro

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• jonro

• Lloyd

• hecya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know, this is the first time I have noticed the facets (I'm stuck waiting for general availability). My thoughts run the same as yours that I'd prefer a round barrel, but I have a feeling it's going to be a quibble with me like it is with you. The overall package is just too outstanding to worry much about barrel shape.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

It does look funny when posted, doesn't it? Very nice review, thank you.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Great review Jonro.

Your description is almost spot on with what I expected, that there is much more that is done correctly than not.

Even though I have $1500 pens, I am anxiously awaiting this one, and really looking forward to the vacuum filler.

Good job.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Excellent review. How do you order one

Thank you. There's a thread in the marketplace for the TWSBI, but I don't think they have any ready for sale at this time:

Link to Marketplace

I asked about the pen, and as it turns out, it was actually designed to be used without posting.

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

Excellent review. How do you order one

There's a new thread about impending availability on their eBay store here.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I am eagerly anticipating getting and using this pen. My only potential hang-up is the posting issue. I strongly prefer pens that post well. Something about having a loose part of the pen that I have to hold onto, or worry about misplacing when I'm using the pen, bugs me. I have 2 pens that cannot be posted (an Edison Herald and a private pen turner's creation), and I have to admit that the inability to post keeps those pens out of my rotation most of the time.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I am eagerly anticipating getting and using this pen. My only potential hang-up is the posting issue. I strongly prefer pens that post well. Something about having a loose part of the pen that I have to hold onto, or worry about misplacing when I'm using the pen, bugs me. I have 2 pens that cannot be posted (an Edison Herald and a private pen turner's creation), and I have to admit that the inability to post keeps those pens out of my rotation most of the time.

Mine posts fine (securely) but makes the pen a bit awkward.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Great review Jonro.

Your description is almost spot on with what I expected, that there is much more that is done correctly than not.

Even though I have $1500 pens, I am anxiously awaiting this one, and really looking forward to the vacuum filler.

Good job.

i'm looking forward to the vac filler as well

Great review. I specially appreciate the info about the faceted body. I thought it was round. Some days ago my Pilot Prera rolled from my desk as it was uncapped and now I see the reason for a not round body.

you can email info@twsbi.com to order them through paypal. they already have some of their production stock ready, but their ebay store isn't due for a few days.

Thank you jonro for an excellent review! I just received my medium nib TWSBI today and thoroughly enjoy it! I filled it with J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite and it wrote beautifully and immediately. If they ever do an italic nib, I'll surely have two TWSBIs in my collection.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png When one is too old for love, one finds great comfort in good dinners. Zora Neale Hurston

I too just received my TWSBI. While I haven't filled it, I commend them on their excellent packaging . . . especially considering the price point. From the outer cardboard box with the logo, to the foam inserts, to the sturdy, clear presentation, it is amazing.

Great job.

Brian

Agree with everything you wrote and I will confirm that the pen is meant to be used with the cap unposted. Posting the cap sends all the weight backwards and will give your fingertips a real workout if that's what you want.

My only complaint about this pen is ink is able to get behind the first leaf of the piston. This doesn't affect the function, but it does detract a bit from the beautiful clean lines of the pen. So far no ink has gotten completely behind the piston.

Agree with everything you wrote and I will confirm that the pen is meant to be used with the cap unposted. Posting the cap sends all the weight backwards and will give your fingertips a real workout if that's what you want.

My only complaint about this pen is ink is able to get behind the first leaf of the piston. This doesn't affect the function, but it does detract a bit from the beautiful clean lines of the pen. So far no ink has gotten completely behind the piston.

Speedy is aware of the leakage problem and has a fix:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/160265-notice-to-300-pre-sale-twsbi-diamond-530-owners/

Mike

Edited by mjkuras

I'm hung like Einstein and smart as a horse!

Very nice review! A couple of quibbles: the nib is a JoWo nib, not Schmidt, isn't it? And while the trim may be stainless steel (I don't know), it's chrome plated, wouldn't you say? Per Speedy's post below, you are correct on both counts, sorry!

I'd also suggest that the o-ring at the section is less to make the cap air tight than it is to seal the section, but I could be wrong about that (and everything else, of course!).

I was also super impressed with the pen. I like the fit and feel of it quite a lot and when I brought it into work and used it all day, it performed like a champ. The size is great and since I don't generally post pens, that's not an issue for me.

I remember during the design process several people indicated they'd prefer a round barrel, but I was urgent in my plea to keep the faceted barrel. I think it adds visual and tactile interest to the pen.

I was looking at the images of the plunger filler version, now in the design stage, I believe, and I notice that Speedy has maintained the diamond facets on that model, but moved them to the barrel end and cap, with most of the barrel then being smooth. Again, hurrah! These are pens to really use in the daily grind.

Dan

Edited by Dan Carmell