Twsbi

Apotheosis

(On a side note, I had several close friends who went to UMBC!)

As they say, "U Made a Bad Choice!" roflmho.gifroflmho.gif

Hi dizzypen, I'm envious you already got the parcel. I have to wait until next week, I think; the postal flight for my pens is scheduled tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you have this magnificent design in your hand... is the section screw secure enough? Usually piston fillers cannot unscrew the section from the body, in this design not only the nib unit can be disassembled, but the entire final section, and that's really unusual (and intriguing).

The piston section is threaded the reverse way, so you can't unscrew it that way, you need the spanner. The cap of the piston screw is held captive by the plunger. Taking it apart though, I realized why many pen makers prevent you from doing this: it's hard to get it back together!

Edited by mahkie

Follow TWSBI and the Diamond Project on Twitter!

Currently inked pens:

Pilot M90 F- Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa

Sailor 1911 EF - MB Blue

Twsbi Diamond 530 F-Noodler's "Taiwan Eternally Free" Black Strait

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• speedy

• riff raff

• Apotheosis

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The piston section is threaded the reverse way, so you can't unscrew it that way, you need the spanner. The cap of the piston screw is held captive by the plunger. Taking it apart though, I realized why many pen makers prevent you from doing this: it's hard to get it back together!

it's a fantastic feature this 'easily removable' piston (better avoid removing things you don't know how to handle, anyway, but you know, we WANT to remove everything, more geeky stuff inside) but I'm worried not by the piston section; it's the nib section that puzzles me soooo much (in that all other manifacturers build pens with no removable sections at all, and often even the nib unit is hard , or impossible, to remove) because if that part unscrews (no wrench required) a 2cc ink tsunami will eventually follow :blink:

I was stained by many famous (and less famous) pens, often for my mistakes or hazzards (sometimes not :crybaby: ) so I'm curious.

Mine arrived today. Build quality and packaging are really outstanding. Seems to be about the same size as a Pelikan M800, though I don't have one for comparison. Definitely larger than my Pelikan M620 Shanghai.

I haven't had a shipping notice yet. :(

Are emails being sent as pens are shipped?

I think the answer to that is Yes. I received a shipping notification with a tracking number.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

It is impossible to overlook the extent to which civilization is built upon a renunciation of instinct.

Sigmund Freud

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Now I am even more impatient for my TWSBI to arrive. Either it has been stuck in customs since the 1st or the site isn't updating the shipping info. However, with the holiday weekend, I don't expect it to be out of customs until at least tomorrow.

I came home for lunch and had a notice that there was a package that the post office tried delivering today. I just saw the mail woman walking off down the block so I grabbed the dog and went to head her off. I was expecting an ink delivery today. Much to my surprise she had two packages. My TWSBI is in.

I am opening the box as I type. (OK, I am stopping during the opening process in order to type). As others have said before, the packaging job is well done.

OK, I have the case out of the bag... Wow... Pictures don't do the case justice.

OK, now I am down to the pen. I think I just spent 5 minutes just working the piston and watching the mechanism. Very nice... Now, what ink to put in it...

Woo Hoo!

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

I have been slacking a bit. I haven't sent notices for the fifty or so pens I sent today. If you have ordered, as of now, there is an 80% chance your order is already in the mail. As of tomorrow, it's going to be maybe 99%, and then im going to audit my Paypal records and find out what orders the remaindered payments belong to.

And I just looked you up Malcy, yours went in the mail today

Follow TWSBI and the Diamond Project on Twitter!

Currently inked pens:

Pilot M90 F- Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa

Sailor 1911 EF - MB Blue

Twsbi Diamond 530 F-Noodler's "Taiwan Eternally Free" Black Strait

If you're wanting to remove everything, I would like to see what happens when you bought a new car :ltcapd:

Start with an old car!!! And watch this video first!! (link to video: assembling a Ford T)

it's a fantastic feature this 'easily removable' piston (better avoid removing things you don't know how to handle, anyway, but you know, we WANT to remove everything, more geeky stuff inside)

'Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.'

TheToadMen on Twitter (I'm on holiday August 1 - 16)

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/ink_cat/di_orang.jpg http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/ink_cat/cd_amazo.jpg

If the USPS is accurate (and in Chicago, that's a crapshoot if ever there was one), mine should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. I'm looking forward to comparing the prototype (which Mahkie and Speedy were so kind to send me in time for the Chicago Pen Show)to the production model.

And, of course, the overriding question: In a pen that displays ink as beautifully as this one, which to choose, which to choose....... (already have Momiji in the prototype) ;)

Pam

I have been slacking a bit. I haven't sent notices for the fifty or so pens I sent today. If you have ordered, as of now, there is an 80% chance your order is already in the mail. As of tomorrow, it's going to be maybe 99%, and then im going to audit my Paypal records and find out what orders the remaindered payments belong to.

And I just looked you up Malcy, yours went in the mail today

Mahkie, thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to it's arrival ever more after reading the comments from those who have received theirs. :clap1:

I am opening the box as I type. (OK, I am stopping during the opening process in order to type). As others have said before, the packaging job is well done.

OK, I have the case out of the bag... Wow... Pictures don't do the case justice.

OK, now I am down to the pen.

Am I the only one who thinks this is funny? :roflmho:

I like posting on FPN, but I don't think I would get around to it until after I'd played with my new toy -- I mean pen -- for a while.

I just received mine. It's a class act all the way. I'll post a detailed review after I've spent more time with it, but I will say that it's a very good writer straight out of the box, the piston filler mechanism is very smooth and the nib performs quite well. This is a very high quality pen at a very reasonable price. I've always suspected that Pelikan could produce a pen like this but it would likely dig too deeply into sales of their more expensive pens. Thanks, TWSBI. This is exactly the kind of shot-in-the-arm that the fountain pen industry needs. I'm looking forward to future TWSBI fountain pens.

I just received mine. It's a class act all the way. I'll post a detailed review after I've spent more time with it, but I will say that it's a very good writer straight out of the box, the piston filler mechanism is very smooth and the nib performs quite well. This is a very high quality pen at a very reasonable price. I've always suspected that Pelikan could produce a pen like this but it would likely dig too deeply into sales of their more expensive pens. Thanks, TWSBI. This is exactly the kind of shot-in-the-arm that the fountain pen industry needs. I'm looking forward to future TWSBI fountain pens.

Here Here! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

If you're wanting to remove everything, I would like to see what happens when you bought a new car :ltcapd:

Start with an old car!!! And watch this video first!! (link to video: assembling a Ford T)

it's a fantastic feature this 'easily removable' piston (better avoid removing things you don't know how to handle, anyway, but you know, we WANT to remove everything, more geeky stuff inside)

really interesting video indeed! I'm a fan of everything Ford (not for technological reasons, it's an old affection) since when I studied the industrial revolution back at the university and my old Ford Ka (bought new back in 1998, the 18th of September, green colour, blue inside..almost) is still in sound conditions (even if a little... used, after 260000 km) and will probably remain so forever, as I have it warehoused in a garage, to have some toying once in a year and play a little with it changing oil and so on. I have better and bigger cars, but the Ford is a world of fun. I also have a natural gas 'adaptor' and cylinders installed many years ago when I still used the car regularly (geeky, isn't it?) to save some money and now to placate irated environmental gods (irated ... by all the diesel oil I'm presently forced to burn every other day).

I still write every day in my office (all other people are limited to spreadsheets, wordprocessors and the like) to extract some fun from my boring work. Presently I enjoy 3 FPs: Pilot VP, a Pel M600 and a Stipula are inked in my bag (all black ink, at present) and the twsbi will displace one of them very soon I think - I have no choice as I have only 3 pen loops in my bag. Of course a FP is not such an advantage in every day operations but I really prefer FPs for sound reasons (pleasure of writing, uber alles). Enjoying my old Ford once a year is the same for me: remembering better times long gone, even if the logical choice (safer, faster, better) would be my Audi or my Fiat.

OK, now I am down to the pen.

Am I the only one who thinks this is funny? :roflmho:

I like posting on FPN, but I don't think I would get around to it until after I'd played with my new toy -- I mean pen -- for a while.

Clearly we need someone to post an unboxing video. ;)

Mine shipped yesterday, so I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Wife: "Was that the postman? What came?

Me: "That pen from Taiwan I told you about. Had to sign for it.

Wife: Well, that was fast. Lesse, lesse.

Unwrap pen.

Wife: "Wow! That's slick! What's that for? (Points to wrench) What's this for? (Picks up Silicon Grease) What does that squiggly thing do? (Hand her the instruction sheet) Well isn't this well thought out! Reminds me of the Dyson."

Me:"Kinda. But the vacuum cleaner holds more ink and this nib is Fine. The Dyson is Italic."

This sets the standard for non-bling pens. Remarkable.

Who is going to be the first to load it with BSB?

Edited by Blotto

Oh wow I never realised it was such a nice size! Hmph kinda wish I preordered one now! Wonder if I should order one :doh:

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

Oh, well done, TWSBI! :thumbup:

I am very, very impressed with this pen. The design is amazing. The cap even has a little thingamabob, sealed with a rubber grommet, for the nib -- so the ink doesn't dry out! I can't wait to get it inked up and in use. :)

Wife: "Was that the postman? What came?

Me: "That pen from Taiwan I told you about. Had to sign for it.

Wife: Well, that was fast. Lesse, lesse.

Unwrap pen.

Wife: "Wow! That's slick! What's that for? (Points to wrench) What's this for? (Picks up Silicon Grease) What does that squiggly thing do? (Hand her the instruction sheet) Well isn't this well thought out! Reminds me of the Dyson."

Me:"Kinda. But the vacuum cleaner holds more ink and this nib is Fine. The Dyson is Italic."

This sets the standard for non-bling pens. Remarkable.

Who is going to be the first to load it with BSB?

huh.... my wife just said.. . "yup.. its another pen".

BTW, I believe that the prototype that Mahkie had was used with BSB. Still, I don't think I am going to go there myself (I did get a bottle of BSB today as well..)

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

Mine just arrived - stunning packaging. For me, the boxes are usually put on a shelf to gather dust and the same will happen with these. I can't believe that these pens were made for this price - just the box and packaging is worth that!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77