The Bic Pen -- The Ultimate Multi Tool

Parse Error

The lowly BIC stick pen... don't overlook it. Let's start a list on what it could do.

1. Getting your foot into a shoe without untying the laces. (Put pen into shoe, slide your heel in alongside the pen, and then take the pen out. Repeat, and you got your shoes on.)

2. Cutting paper (keep rubbing the pen along a dotted line, and the paper will tear nicely. Works best if there's ink in the pen)

3. Lending to a stranger (no loss if it's not returned)

4. opening up a crack (assuming the pen could fit in)

5. a chew toy (for people, not dogs)

6. spinning pens

I can't think of any others for now.

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Tsujigiri

• mhwombat

• Sonny Boy Havidson

5. a chew toy (for people, not dogs)

Now there's a worthy use of a bic I think everyone here can agree on!

Back in the When...when it first came out...I think some one else had had something similar before.

You could not break it.

The cheap Skill craft pens; put together by ill paid blind people...not that we knew they were ill-paid, broke easy; or easy enough...but were cheap and black, black only.

No one wanted to steal the Bic.

Was completely worthless with out a cap.

One could get it in a very fine ball.

I never understood why it took over the world for a while.

Perhaps at that time they were made in France and the Dollar was still money, and strong.

They were perhaps cheaper than Skill Craft.

One didn't need to worry about having spare ink tubes.

being longer must have held more ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You forgot:

7. Emergency tracheotomies

looking for a pen with maki-e dancing wombats

...I can't think of any others for now.

Pushing it's point into the little hole on a laptop's DVD door, in case it does not open on command.

Opening a shipping box if you have nothing sharper handy (or even if you do) :rolleyes:

Sticking it into the green goo on the deck from a recently wounded space alien (to see if it's blood is acidic) :yikes:

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

My 85-year old mother firmly believes the BP is one of humanity's great inventions. She has some Bics and she uses them for - writing. :gaah: :hmm1:

I actually love Bics for drawing. Since they require pressure to write you can get some great shading with them.

I personally love popping out the little blue / black inserted cap with my teeth and putting it back with my tongue! So soothing and satisfying!

Yea BIC! :notworthy1:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

8. Blowing paper pellets at classmates.

9. Writing your name on a wooden school desk

This brings back memories from grammar school. That point was pretty indestructible.

Edited by Pippin60

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I personally love popping out the little blue / black inserted cap with my teeth and putting it back with my tongue! So soothing and satisfying!

Oh yes!

And when I was young, the refill was made of a much softer plastic. As the ink ran down, I loved biting off the clear part at the end and chewing on it.

looking for a pen with maki-e dancing wombats

Since the breather hole was half way down the barrel, I used to put a push pin in the hole and spinning the pen at high rates of speed. The caps also made great rubber band projectiles!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I don't want to see you anywhere NEAR my kids ...

Don't forget breaking into bike locks

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! But they're slightly less useful now that Kryptonite and Onguard have taken measures to correct this...

You forgot:

7. Emergency tracheotomies

No...absolutely no! That's why you carry your spare Ball Point stainless Steel Flighter or other sturdy life saver.

You have to be able to breath through the pen body.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I never understood why it took over the world for a while.

Quite simply because it cost about a third of the price of the next pen up the ladder.

Mind you, school kids preferred retractables: the spring-loaded button came in handy for all kinds of desktop games.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

In earlier decades they were good for winding on an audio cassette when the tape was tangled.

Also good for pushing reset buttons

Great drumsticks for a desk top - until the nun came after you with a ruler!

Greg Koos

Bloomington Illinois

USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.

Adlai E. Stevenson

8. Blowing paper pellets at classmates.

9. Writing your name on a wooden school desk

This brings back memories from grammar school. That point was pretty indestructible.

Back in the early 1960s, when Bic pens were new, there were TV commercials where someone would fire a Bic through a "high powered" rifle, the pen would go through a 1 inch board, with point protruding, and the hack would write with the pen, stating: "Bic pen: writes first time, every time." IIRC, it is the same guy who used to wrap a Timex wristwatch around the prop of an outboard boat motor, put the prop in a tank of water, fire up the motor, run it for about 15 seconds, closeup of the watch, "Timex: takes a licking, and keeps on ticking." John Cameron Swayze comes to mind.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)