I.d. This Pen!

dizAndyVan

It's my first "vintage" pen. It may need a new sac and i dont know the model. If someone could help me identify it and/or possibly give me the sac size, i would be forever grateful :notworthy1:

Waiting for my new old pen in the mail!

1. 2x Black Platinum Preppy .3 Fine Round

2. 2x Black Pilot Plumix Medium Italic

3. Jinhao x450 Broad Round

4. Jinhao 321 Fine Round

5. "Nameless Chinese" Medium? Round

6. Wahl-Eversharp 6212SC/620GASC Fine Round Semi-Flex

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dizAndyVan

• Wahlnut

• jbb

• irbyls

Top Posters In This Topic

A Wahl Eversharp Tulip? There's a pen like this on this page, if you scroll down toward the bottom: Vintage Pen.Net.

Thanks so much!

What a pretty pen! I can't wait to hear more about it when you get it.

I'll be sure to post a topic or something when i get it to a working condition :D

4. Jinhao 321 Fine Round

Today we have dubbed this pen "tulip clip" but actually that was not the name given to this pen by Wahl. When new they were called Soldier Clip Pens and their stock numbers all had "SC" in them to denote same. In the early days of the Wahl Plastic Pen (1926 1/2 through 1928), these were the only Soldier Clip pens offered by Wahl. They came in 2 sizes with either a #2 or #4 size nib at $3.50 and $5.00 In 1929 things got a little more complex, because there were 2 different style of pens offered with a Soldier Clip - the Gold seal Roller clip and one like yours. In 1929, the pen like yours was only offered in the smaller $3.50 size. Pens like yours were intended for high school and college students. This type of cap clip was the solution Wahl came up with for a pen that would ride low in the pocket (as in to make it possible to wear in the shirt or jacket pocket and still allow the buttoning of the pocket flap (as was worn on military uniforms - ergo Soldier Clip) over the pen. Since there is no other soldier clip pen from Wahl during the earlier (1926.5 to 1928) era there was no reason to name it anything else. When this pen came out no one including Wahl knew if there would be other designs that would be called soldier clip later on. So, it is we who have the problem of saying soldier clip and thinking it does not define a pen, but rather a clip. People versed in Wahl-Eversharp pens should know that a 1927,28 plastic or hard rubber pen of this type can be simply be defined by the words Soldier Clip...you know the one with that "tulip sorta shaped thingy" where the clip attaches to the metal cap end.

Those of you who know me, by now also know that I will inevitably try to call pens by their stock numbers to avoid any subjective descriptive words to catalog Wahl-Eversharp pens (other manufacturers did it and their pens are known to this day by numbers-MB149, 146, eg, Parker 75, 51, 61, 45,) SO these Tulip clip/ soldier clip pens did too. In 1929, 6207SC, 6211SC 6206SC, 6212SC (YOUR PEN), 6209SC,6213SC...Where the first digit "6" is the barrel size 2 is the nib size the next 2 digits are the color and SC is soldier clip. They also came in a #4 barrel size. Will people finally learn the Wahl numbers to describe a pen...doubt it. Will people come to learn that the only soldier clips made by Wahl during these years except for the Gold Seal Soldier Clips in 1929 was this pen and become OK with simply calling it a 1928 Soldier Clip? Doubt it. Will people keep on calling them Tulip Clip pens? Probably. And it probably does not matter a hoot so long as the person hearing the name conjures up the same image in his mind's eye as the speaker meant to convey. But for the sake of accuracy the above is offered nonetheless.

Oh, by the way the Wahl numbering system went through an overhaul between 1928 and 1929 just to make matters worse for us today. In 1926,7,8 the pen numbers were 3 digits with letters following the numbers. In that time frame, your pen would have number either 640GASC or 620GASC depending on size. 6=barrel size, 2 or 4=nib size and G=green plastic, A=gild filled trim and SC you already know id Soldier Clip. My understanding of these number changes were due to the widened variety of pen materials that as you can see in 1928 required the old Wahl numbers with an alphabet soup of letters to describe the pen fully. AND the plastics changed too. Pens with your type of plastic are usually from the 1929-30 era.

Hope this is useful.

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

That is extremely extremely useful. So useful that i dont know how to respond to it other than... Thank you very much

4. Jinhao 321 Fine Round