Ancora Calamus

zanio

Following the dictates of style of that period, Ancora introduced, at the beginning of the '50s, its last successful model: the "Calamus" pen.

post-39258-087019300 1276269245.jpg

At a first glance, you might easily confuse the Calamus with Ancora's earlier line of pens called "Lusso", especially if you compare the version with the metal cap.

post-39258-053097000 1276269065.jpg

In natural fact, the Calamus is an evolution of the Lusso line, with three main innovations: the hooded (and semi-hooded) nib, the push-on cap and the material.

post-39258-079891800 1276269282.jpg

The cap is basically identical to the Lusso one: same design, same clip with embossed & enamelled logo, same plastic cap top which matches the color of the pen.

But it is a push-on type cap which allows the Calamus to gain a very clean design and streamlined shape, when open.

For what I know, the Calamus cap does not have venting holes that might disturb its appearance.

I do not personally get crazy for hooded nibs, but the Calamus' semi-hooded one...I LOVE it !!! It just looks like it has been dipped, along with part of the section, in liquid gold !

The hood screws on a double threaded unit, which carries a metal ring to hold the cap in place.

post-39258-031147200 1276269345.jpg

Ancora made several versions of the Calamus, with full body overlay or metal cap, hooded or semi-hooded nib, different colours (plain), but they are all piston fillers.

The piston has a cork seal.

I am not sure if Ancora ever made Calamus pens using celluloid. All of the Calamus I saw had plastic bodies.

Without a visulated barrel, the translucent property of the resin may help you checking the ink level

post-39258-036019000 1276269379.jpg

...and if you have that X-ray sight ... it definitely helps! ;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zanio

• Ambros

• simp

• fabbale

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done.

So the Calamus production overlapped the Lusso by some years. Do you know the years of production for these models?

I seldom see Calamus ads from this period of time. Were the models ever jointly advertised?

post-4689-074989800 1276311569.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Things with Ancora are quite misterious sometimes and I have to say I am not an expert, I love this brand and I am trying to collect pens and info about it.

However, I believe Ancora overlapped the production of Lusso and Calamus models, offering pens with or without hooded nibs at the same time.

I don't have Calamus Ads but I do have Lusso one from the '50s. The Lusso line had been introduced at the end of the World War 2, the Calamus at the end of the 40's for approx 10 years...the production of the 2 models overlaps for few years. I've also seen Ancora models with mixed features: hooded nib, push on celluloid cap with band and Lusso clip, ringed celluloid body. The Lusso line had a good success, I don't think the Calamus was meant to replace it.

We need a catalogue, don't we ?! ;)

My pens says Ancora was an artisan. That means sometimes freedom...decades later, it could mean confusion. (I love this excuse for my lack of contents !!!)

Jeff, thanks for that Lusso pic...lovely.

Z

very nice pens thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Zanio, very interesting pen and beautiful pictures. Thank you. Yes, all about Ancora is a bit "mysterious"… see the book of Letizia: the name of the founder (Zanini or Zannini?) .. tha date of establishment (1909!? .. the first Italian pen factory!?).

Further more Ancora pens and documents are scarce. I have this "22", a model of late '30s, in amber celluloid with 585 gold nib.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/ancora1a.jpg http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/ancora2a.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gicoteni/ancora3a.jpg

Yes Gicoteni, it is hard to find informations and documents regarding the history of Ancora. I wish I had more time for that research... little by little...with a bit of luck. I know, it is gonna be a lifetime commitment...maybe longer!

Probably, at the beginning, Zanini was just assembling pens, rather than making them. Probably the real Ancora pens production started in the early '20s. I do have few roads which I want to follow and that might lead to some surprise. However, I am in a really really early stage.

Your "22" is a beautiful little pen. Simple, classic design and high level of quality. Its colour is gorgeous.

These are lovely. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the present day Ancora now that there's a U.S. distributor again. :cloud9:

I have learnt something today...only 40 minutes left!

Thank you for posting this beautiful pen topic and pictures. I'm sure we all look forward to any more information you uncover and support your search!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

Zanio, very interesting pen and beautiful pictures. Thank you. Yes, all about Ancora is a bit "mysterious"… see the book of Letizia: the name of the founder (Zanini or Zannini?) .. tha date of establishment (1909!? .. the first Italian pen factory!?).

That 1909 date is given by Lambrou book, reporting the Ancora foundation at Sesto Calende by Giuseppe Zanini.

But in 1909 Zanini was 12 years old, and the production was moved to Sesto Calende from Bologna in 1925.

So Ancora exact foundation date is still unknown, but what is clearly known is that Lambrou is wrong and 1909 is not a correct date.

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

That 1909 date is given by Lambrou book, reporting the Ancora foundation at Sesto Calende by Giuseppe Zanini.

But in 1909 Zanini was 12 years old, and the production was moved to Sesto Calende from Bologna in 1925.

So Ancora exact foundation date is still unknown, but what is clearly known is that Lambrou is wrong and 1909 is not a correct date.

Simone

Hi Simone,

sorry but I do not understand why you say that Giuseppe Zanini, in 1909, was only 12 years old !? :blink:

He was born in 1879, right ?! So, in 1909 he was 30 year old, more or less, but not 12 !

Z

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Things with Ancora are quite misterious sometimes and I have to say I am not an expert, I love this brand and I am trying to collect pens and info about it.

However, I believe Ancora overlapped the production of Lusso and Calamus models, offering pens with or without hooded nibs at the same time.

I don't have Calamus Ads but I do have Lusso one from the '50s. The Lusso line had been introduced at the end of the World War 2, the Calamus at the end of the 40's for approx 10 years...the production of the 2 models overlaps for few years. I've also seen Ancora models with mixed features: hooded nib, push on celluloid cap with band and Lusso clip, ringed celluloid body. The Lusso line had a good success, I don't think the Calamus was meant to replace it.

We need a catalogue, don't we ?! ;)

My pens says Ancora was an artisan. That means sometimes freedom...decades later, it could mean confusion. (I love this excuse for my lack of contents !!!)

Jeff, thanks for that Lusso pic...lovely.

Z

Can you tell me about the Ancora Perla and the Ancora Gaudi? I really like the look of these pens and I read about them in Paul Erano's book. Are they good for everyday users and how much do they cost? Where is the best place to purchase from?

Thanks,

JShaft

Can you tell me about the Ancora Perla and the Ancora Gaudi? I really like the look of these pens and I read about them in Paul Erano's book. Are they good for everyday users and how much do they cost? Where is the best place to purchase from?

Thanks,

JShaft

I am sorry JShaft, I would be happy to help you answering your questions, but I know nothing about modern Ancora pens.

My interest focuses on the vintage production only.

Kind regards

Z

• 2 months later...

Simone

Oh..... I LOVE ANCORA. :thumbup:

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_1.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_12.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_11.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_10.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_9.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_7.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_5.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_4.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/fabbale/giugno%202010/ancora_2.jpg