Malware Problem Fixed

Admin

I'm getting malware warnings as I try and navigate the forums! It appears the issue has resurfaced....

It appears to be when I'm using Safari - no issue with Firefox

Edited by blueasajewel

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• SamCapote

• Ray-Vigo

• Pen Nut

Thanks admins for your hard work! :notworthy1:

I'm getting malware warnings as I try and navigate the forums! It appears the issue has resurfaced....

It could be your cache needs to be cleared, but since I don't use Safari, I couldn't walk you through that.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

Thanks admins for your hard work! :notworthy1:

It could be your cache needs to be cleared, but since I don't use Safari, I couldn't walk you through that.

I think its likely cache, I use FF almost exclusively but just tried Safari and got no warnings since I have no cached pages.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Of those who got infected may I know the antivirus you were using? I use Nod32 from ESET and did not got infected.

Norton Internet Security 2010. Waste of 70 bucks as far as I can tell.

:clap1: :ltcapd: :roflmho: :thumbup: :notworthy1:

Thanks!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

...edit...

Norton Internet Security 2010. Waste of 70 bucks as far as I can tell.

After years of being a faithful Norton customer, I finally ditched it 2008 and went AVG free, on Windows machines. Never looked back. Recommended.

I know that there are a couple of Trojans and rootkits specifically targeted at Macs, but I'm still running without any AV. I know it's only a matter of time, though.

Don't think I got hit with this last scare.

Hats off to wimg. Enjoying your posts on the event - and well done, again. Heroes!

Who would hack a fountain pen site?????!!!!!????? That's pretty pathetic.

I'm so glad FPN is back, I was starting to panic.

Anne Gray

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

Man, I'm so sick of seeing my favorite forums getting ddosed, or hacked. I'm just finally glad to see things up and running again.

Edited by Leonchan

Congratulations FPN - and thanks. Nice to have you back

The Malware corrupted a bunch of files on my Mac. Had to run the installation utility diagnostics to fix the problem. Suggest other Mac users do the same.

Could you give more information on this fix, please. I ran verify and repair permissions, but not sure what installation utility diagnostics is? Is it built into the Mac OS X, or an extra? Thanks, CS

You must boot from the installation disk. This can be accomplished by tapping "c" the moment the machine turns on. When the installation routine starts, select language, it will take you to a new page. Look up at the top, on the task bar I think its called. Notice the Utilities option, select that, then select repair. I may have left a step or two out. Other can chime in, if they haven't already. I ran the Utility, and found corrupted files. They were successfully repaired.

The Malware corrupted a bunch of files on my Mac. Had to run the installation utility diagnostics to fix the problem. Suggest other Mac users do the same.

What symptons did you experience that let you know your mac had been infected?

Absolutely none. Checked anyhow out of an abundance of caution - found the corrupted files and ran the repair utility

Who would hack a fountain pen site?????!!!!!????? That's pretty pathetic.

I'm so glad FPN is back, I was starting to panic.

I think it was for commercial gain. I got flooded with tracking cookies from dozens of sites I never heard of. I'm wondering if it's meant to be sent to sites that pay someone money for redirects or something.

With all the available technology, and working with the people at Microsoft, is it beyond the wit of man to catch people that spend all their time trying to disrupt websites with various forms of attacks and, once caught, start legal procedings against them??

A few well publicised court cases showing severe punishments might make them think again.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Unfortunately, many hide out in countries where the laws are not favorable for prosecution, or do not exist at all. That's why some ISPs block entire countries, punishing the innocent for the many criminals lurking there.

Unfortunately, many hide out in countries where the laws are not favorable for prosecution, or do not exist at all. That's why some ISPs block entire countries, punishing the innocent for the many criminals lurking there.

Thanks for the info. You say 'criminals' but what do these people actually gain from their efforts? I, like many, have had my fair share of computer virus problems over the years and just dont 'get it' in respect of the people who do this.

I would also like to see prosecutions of people that do live within contries where the laws allow it.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

With all the available technology, and working with the people at Microsoft, is it beyond the wit of man to catch people that spend all their time trying to disrupt websites with various forms of attacks and, once caught, start legal procedings against them??

I believe that a major difficulty is locating the real people.

The step from the virtual world to the real world can be hard to trace, if the criminals have covered their virtual tracks well enough.

Good all's well ends well + kudos to the net buffs who fixed up the problems. Yes it was intimidating and alarming, that google warning :gaah: the 3 day hiatus and worries that one of our fav sites would be off the air. But perseverance, patience saved the day.

welcome back fpn and help us all stay on track with the writing tines

Thank you for all the effort in restoring this site to normal. I missed FPN!

I have a one year old Mac Book Pro? I am 58 yrs old and not very computer savvy. Where do I find and how do I run the diagnostic check you suggest?

I would appreciate advice.

Thank you.

Kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

While I missed FPN, I now have a renewed appreciation for all the time and effort the admins put in that I generally never even notice.

Thanks you lovely FPN admins and moderators for devoting so much of your free time and energy to making the fountain pen community a much better and more accessible place!