Malware Problem Fixed

Admin

A thousand thanks for the quick response....now.... get your butts to the Gulf and fix the oil spill.....

It's nice to be back here in the comfortable confines!

Peter

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• SamCapote

• Ray-Vigo

• Pen Nut

I didn't even know about the problem until evidently shortly before it was fixed (and after it had been taken down and replaced with a static placeholder page).

Out of morbid curiosity, when did this whole mess start?

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

Is it possible to get a specific account of the malware, e.g. its name, symptoms, and method of repair? I installed iAntiVirus on my MacBook, and it found nothing. I've had no problems.

But I'd like to make sure.

There is no repair options for this on a PC or Mac, as it is specifically targeted at systems running IP.Board software, i.e., our FPN Linux server. It does however function as a distribution channel for some 15 different PC viruses, maybe more, and a few Mac viruses, but I don't know which ones. We can't actually check that, as those are downloaded from to hacking servers and then uploaded to a connecting PC, bypassing all the regular controls.

However, none or those are brand new viruses, so if you use a virus scanner, it shoudl automatically pick up on those and isolate and/or quarantine them.

I am on a Macbook, running the latest version of Snow Leopard. I accessed FPN via Safari Tuesday morning some time before Google blocked the site. I don't know if it was before or during or after the malware attacks. My computer seemed fine, but I got worried when other Mac users posted here about being infected. So I downloaded and installed Virus Barrier X6, and ran a full scan today--nothing came up. I assume that my Macbook is clean.

I would think so.

This malware does not infect every computer that connects. It randomly did so, at random pages or views. Google mentioned that something like 28 pages it downloaded were infected, of over 200 it got, but if you check the site stats, it actually downloaded a few thousand pages. 28 of several thousand pages is certainly not all :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I didn't even know about the problem until evidently shortly before it was fixed (and after it had been taken down and replaced with a static placeholder page).

June 8, early morning EST.

A few hours later it was fixed, but Google didn't agree yet, leading to a lot of extra work (which wasn't removing malware) ...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I am grateful for the work and passion of our administrators who keep us rolling!!!

Kudos, and thank you for keeping our community safe.

Montblanc / Pelikan / Sailor / Pilot / Lamy / Cross / Parker

I got 14 separate infections the first time, and an additional 40+ when I accidently clicked on FPN from my browser hx. Thanks for all your hard work in cleaning this up, Admins.

Thank you admins for fixing this. I was surprised how much I missed FPN!

Today, everyone is wondering who would do this. Next week we'll be complaining about fraudulent Montblancs on ebay!

Not the same guys but the same concept, some people steal or destroy. You have to lock your doors at night and you have to protect your computers. The difference is with the internet, people half way around the world (or next door) can invade your computer and take every thing you have on it.

Thank you again,

Matt

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

Glad you are back.

My Norton log looks interesting!

Severe withdrawal symptoms.

Problems concentrating.

Blurry cvision.

All is now well.

Thanks for all the hard work to keep the Nuthouse fully operational.

I understand & appreciate the great effort that was expended to fix this issue. Thank you very much for being diligent and fixing the issue in a timely manner.

Edited by gkterry

Current Favorite Pens: Aurora Talentum, Pelikan Polar Lights and Bexley 10th Anniversary

Good to hear that everything is ok now. :D

http://i.imgur.com/EZMTw.gif "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

Whew! I thought I had been kicked out and was stressing over what I could have done wrong....

I was Jonesin' pretty bad....

Thanks for your diligence....

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

A big thank you to all those who worked to re mediate the problem. From experience I know it takes a lot of work. notworthy1.gifthumbup.gif

I was starting to go through withdrawals.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Another heartfelt thanks to the Admin team for all they did to get FPN back in business! :thumbup: I could hardly have been much fun for them, and it certainly was no fun for the rest of us. Funny how isolated I felt being unable to check in with the FPN family :huh:

A few hours later it was fixed, but Google didn't agree yet, leading to a lot of extra work (which wasn't removing malware) ...

Warm regards, Wim

So, would it be reasonable to understand that if we didn't log on during this time, then we wouldn't have a problem?

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

To the cracker: (Rough English translation of a Yiddish curse): May you grow like an onion, with your head in the ground.!

To the Admin: When I saw the notice I was angry and optimistic. Angry at the cracker who did this to my favorite site. Optimistic that the Admins would get it straightened out. And you did! Thanks people for all the good work to do to keep FPN up and running. Much appreciations.

There will be no crisis this week. My calendar is already full.

Warm regards, Wim

So, would it be reasonable to understand that if we didn't log on during this time, then we wouldn't have a problem?

That is correct.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman