Danitrio, Japanese?

Bruno Taut

getting off topic here...but did anyone notice the urushi finished vanishing points in the article? :puddle: if my calculations are correct, each one costs about $500 USD, a steal compared to the custom 845? maybe not, but limited to ten? I think the collectors status is well worth the admission price

Well, the VP Raden is urushi-finished and is relatively inexpensive (I believe the MSRP is $369 but they can be found for ~$220).

Urushi's a great material, I think, and is well worth the cost.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• winedoc

• Silvermink

• Nero

• Bruno Taut

Top Posters In This Topic

You can try to find a Custom 845 in red urushi! Pictures here

Personally I like the Genkais in the many different Urushi colors more (and the King of Pens too).

getting off topic here...but did anyone notice the urushi finished vanishing points in the article? :puddle: if my calculations are correct, each one costs about $500 USD, a steal compared to the custom 845? maybe not, but limited to ten? I think the collectors status is well worth the admission price

WoW (world of warcraft)

:o

I'd buy that for a dollar (or a few hundred).

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

:o

I'd buy that for a dollar (or a few hundred).

WOW! I didn't know a custom 845 existed in a red urushi scheme

thanks for the enlightenment

James

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Using your rationale, Danitrio is American. I tend to agree with that.

(Mexican-looking workers don't make Chrysler Mexican; Brazilian labor do not make Toyota Brazilian).

Cheers,

Iosepus

Using your rational then Visconti should be German?

Who do you think makes nibs for Visconti, Conway Stewart, Stipula, Laban, Bexley, Omas? should I keep going??? They should all be German then?

The fact remains that Visconti and Danitrio will write differently because the nibs are made to Danitrio's specs. They are NOT the same. Anyone who have written with a Visconti AND Danitrio will attest that they do not write the same.

The one Japanes nib that Danitrio made is 24kt #50 size nib for their Yokozuna model. Danitrio did not start out making Japanes pens when the company was established in 1970's, and yes, they are slowly move into Japanese territory. You live in East Asia, you will then know how difficult it is to become a Japanese citizen. It is also not easy to set up a company in Japan.

If you can not take Danitrio seriously, then that's fine. No one says you have to buy their pens. Let's just say I have at one time owning multiple Nakaya, and I now own none. I have my reasons, but you will never see me bad mouthing them knowing what I know. So, buy what makes you happy.

Funny, they don't look German

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Japan%20Trip%202006/tn_DSC_0382.jpg

Bruno Taut - Crónicas Estilográficas (https://estilofilos.blogspot.com)

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno Taut.

As Kevin pointed out, There are several companies that use Bock nibs from a number of countries and yet you are not criticizing them.

The fact that Bernard Lynn allows the artisans (from Japan) to largely be the creative force behind each pen to makes them quintessentially Japanese, the same way a German or Japanese car looks and feels even though it may be made in the USA. With all modern cars from any country, you'll find outsourced components.

Even in the Swiss watch industry, there are now companies that will allow their cases to be made in China, but if the majority of the components are Swiss, and it is assembled there, it is considered Swiss made. Using that model, the fact that 90 percent of the pen, as well as the design are done in Japan, I'm not sure you have a strong argument.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Using your rationale, Danitrio is American. I tend to agree with that.

(Mexican-looking workers don't make Chrysler Mexican; Brazilian labor do not make Toyota Brazilian).

Cheers,

Iosepus

I don't think there is any question that Dani Trio is a Japanese pen. I would suggest that the defining characteristics of DT pens, as well as the splendid urushi and maki-e which are crafted by Japanese artists in Japan, make them so. I can't give credence to opinions that attempt to dissect component parts, especially those that appear to be motivated by a desire to denigrate this respected pen maker.

Dan

Edited by Dan Carmell

Danitrio, according to their representatives at the Itoya Maki-e fair, has one Japan-made nib.

But I cannot take seriously a pen brand that does not say anything about their nibs in their corporate website. Actually, I wonder whether they sell pens or something else--jewels to show off, for instance.

Guess that's your prerogative. I've never heard anything but good about the performance of their nibs, and that's what counts in my book. I'd happily buy them if I could afford them!

...well, okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration - Danitrio does still make pens I can afford, and I'll probably end up with one eventually.

They do make affordable pens! I have a couple from Winedoc (Kevin) that were cheaper than some of my other pens and write better. You can get some Danitrios for 35 USD! Email Kevin, He will set you up and is fantastic to work with. :thumbup:

Long live the Empire!

I guess having a blog makes one an expert these day I suppose. You obviously have already made up your own mind regarding Danitrio, so that's fine. Everyone here is old enough to make up their own mind. So, just curious, where would you put Omas? http://markets.ft.com/tearsheets/businessProfile.asp?s=HK%3A3389

Is it a Italian company? Chinese company? or German?

Cheers!

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Personally if I were to buy an urushi or maki-e pen, it would have to have 100% Japanese components and made in Japan.

The pens are so culturally specific, having anything slightly off ruins the Japanese-ness for me. Danitrio's nib engravings for example look too loud to me, more Chinese than Japanese. And just knowing the nibs are made in Germany and not in Japan with their own machinery and hands dilutes the genuine-ness of owning a Japanese pen for me.

Edited by Blade Runner

Some Chinese made pens have Italian kind of sounding names. MontBlanc for instance use (mont) to confuse it as a Montegrappa (only joking) Thanks

Personally if I were to buy an urushi or maki-e pen, it would have to have 100% Japanese components and made in Japan.

The pens are so culturally specific, having anything slightly off ruins the Japanese-ness for me. Danitrio's nib engravings for example look too loud to me, more Chinese than Japanese. And just knowing the nibs are made in Germany and not in Japan with their own machinery and hands dilutes the genuine-ness of owning a Japanese pen for me.

You could buy a Danitrio Yokozuna. :bunny01: That's entirely made in Japan including the huge 24k nib.

For maki-e, Danitrio is doing a lot more to promote and advance the art than the traditional Japanese big three. The maki-e offerings from Pilot/Namiki, Sailor, and Platinum are somewhat limited. In this sense, Danitrio and Nakaya are running circles around them in terms of range of maki-e, breadth of techniques, range of themes, and overall quality. I guess I'm spoiled because Kevin brings the Danitrio pens to our Pen Posse gatherings and I have had the opportunity to compare the Danitrio maki-e work with other modern Japanese maki-e work up close. I just feel that the Danitrio maki-e work is genuinely superior to the offerings from Pilot, Sailor, and Platinum. This is a testament to Danitrio's stable of maki-e artist and the free range they give them. Nakaya's maki-e work is pretty close to Danitrio but has a very different flavor. I like them both whereas I'm not much of a fan of the big three. If you get a chance, pick up a Namiki emperor and compare it to a Danitrio, say the new Sakura by Ikebana. There's no comparison in terms of maki-e, the Danitrio uses more innovative techniques.

If you want a urushi or maki-e pen and it has to be 100% Japanese, you need to be careful. A lot of companies use imported Chinese urushi (much much cheaper than the pure Japanese urushi). It would be sad for you to buy a urushi or maki-e pen with a Japanese nib but Chinese urushi.

I guess the issue of nibs is a big hang-up for some people. Oh well, more pens for me. :bunny01: :bunny01:

Edited by AltecGreen

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I do not claim to be an expert in anything. In my blog, and here, I only express my opinions with some arguments to support them:

1. Danitrio uses German nibs --with one exception-- and is based in the US.

2. Danitrio does not speak of its nibs in its website.

I would appreciate non ad-hominem arguments.

I agree with you--everyone here is old enough to make his mind up. Some people will consider Dantrio as Japanese, others --myself among them-- will not.

By the way, creating a company in Japan is very easy.

Cheers,

Iosepus

I guess having a blog makes one an expert these day I suppose. You obviously have already made up your own mind regarding Danitrio, so that's fine. Everyone here is old enough to make up their own mind. So, just curious, where would you put Omas? http://markets.ft.com/tearsheets/businessProfile.asp?s=HK%3A3389

Is it a Italian company? Chinese company? or German?

Cheers!

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno Taut.

Can we then, say that Danitrio is an American company that manufactures and sells Japanese pens?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

No ad-hominem arguments intended, simply stating my general opinion on bloggers these days. Regardless, I can see why you may be offended, so my apology.

I don't see too many pen companies mention their nibs on their websites, do you?

Danitrio never hide the fact regarding where the nibs are made, and if you do a search here I have stated this multiple times and anyone contacted me or the company would also have known this. If they have stated this fact otherwise, then do let me know.

creating a company is easy, then we should see more pen companies in the future.

we will agree to disagree then.

Good night.

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Can we then, say that Danitrio is an American company that manufactures and sells Japanese pens?

Danitrio has never claimed that they are a Japanese company. I certainly have not, and I am pretty sure if you were at the Itoya fair, and asked them, they will tell you they are located in US. All pen warranty papers list an US address.

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Easy: http://www.pilot.co.jp/support/fountain/1183148557940.html

Pilot, to name one, makes clear which nibs are available for each pen.

Same for Platinum/Nakaya or Sailor.

Pelikan specifies clearly what type of nib is available for each of their pens. And so on.

Danitrio does not do that--at all.

Cheers,

Iosepus

No ad-hominem arguments intended, simply stating my general opinion on bloggers these days. Regardless, I can see why you may be offended, so my apology.

I don't see too many pen companies mention their nibs on their websites, do you?

Danitrio never hide the fact regarding where the nibs are made, and if you do a search here I have stated this multiple times and anyone contacted me or the company would also have known this. If they have stated this fact otherwise, then do let me know.

creating a company is easy, then we should see more pen companies in the future.

we will agree to disagree then.

Good night.

Danitrio has never claimed that they are a Japanese company. I certainly have not, and I am pretty sure if you were at the Itoya fair, and asked them, they will tell you they are located in US. All pen warranty papers list an US address.

Moderator Stan includes Danitrio as a Japanese manufacturer: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52513-pen-manufacturers-current-and-past/

Cheers,

Iosepus

Ok, If I can express my opinion:

I am not an expert in the field…I just enjoy my time when pens are around.

I am sure we see pens from different viewpoints, some of us provide more importance to certain aspects, in my case I do care about nibs…mainly because I write with the pens, and the nib is an important device for such task. I mentally organize pens according to certain attributes or aspects, the regional is one of those. Then, at the time of thinking in Japanese pens, there are a couple of features that immediately come to my mind: the decoration of the pens and the nibs. Since the nibs are important for me, as I earlier exposed , then I try to align Japanese pens with exceptional and outstanding nibs (honestly the design of the entry-level Japanese pens are not the most elaborated ones, however their nibs are amazing… speaking about the brands I have and use: Platinum, Sailor and Pilot).

I really do not care where DaniTrio is registered, where the HQ is located, how is the outlook of their executive people or the workers, etc…I would be interested (in case of purchasing one of those) on how their pens perform…..and therefore what kind of nibs they assembly on them, then I will try to select a nice design (yet something looking as a pen)

Cheers

PS: You are forcing me to purchase a Danitrio pen…and I am having 10 FPs in the mail (……many of them from Japan) ;)

PS: I did forget, in this or in any other business I do not tolerate, as buyer, to be confused by the seller. So if your meet is Brazilian…please do not tell me is Argentinean just because you think I am a fan of Argentinean meet…because I enjoy Brazilian meet as well

Edited by JLML