Danitrio, Japanese?

Bruno Taut

Yes, why do people think that a California-based, German-nibbed pen is Japanese?

Yes, I know, the envelope is made in Japan... But I thought we wrote with the nib...

On top of that, only recently (http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2010/05/frills.html) this brand will be sold in Japan through Itoya.

Cheers,

Iosepus

Bruno Taut - Crónicas Estilográficas (https://estilofilos.blogspot.com)

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno Taut.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• winedoc

• Silvermink

• Nero

• Bruno Taut

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to look at them, it's obvious to me why people think the brand is Japanese. :) Let's face it - the nib, even if it's amazing, is not exactly the focal point of the pen here.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I gotta say, I am surprised. The style, the manufacture, the names, the technique, the pictures, the whole funky site says Japan... but it never really says Japan, does it?

Yet the info on Dani International Corp is easily found in one Google click.

Perhaps a willful sin of omission?

BTW, this post has to be moved... cause these ain't from the Land of the Rising Sun. :D

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

the nib, even if it's amazing, is not exactly the focal point of the pen here

ummmmmmm, yes when it comes to Japanese pens! ;)

BTW, this post has to be moved... cause these ain't from the Land of the Rising Sun

Ok, California="Land of the Rising Sun" :)...where I live, We see the people from Vancouver...like the ones from the South...so California is the Land of the Sun :puddle:

Seriously, I never had in my hands a DaniTrio pen, It was in my wish list....temporally is out...but it will come back, I am sure about that (I recall I found some very good Japanese restaurants in the Bay area...so....)

Cheers

the nib, even if it's amazing, is not exactly the focal point of the pen here

ummmmmmm, yes when it comes to Japanese pens! ;)

Depends on the pen, really. I was just referring to Danitrio's more recent offerings specifically.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Danitrio, according to their representatives at the Itoya Maki-e fair, has one Japan-made nib.

But I cannot take seriously a pen brand that does not say anything about their nibs in their corporate website. Actually, I wonder whether they sell pens or something else--jewels to show off, for instance.

Iosepus,

Bruno Taut - Crónicas Estilográficas (https://estilofilos.blogspot.com)

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno Taut.

And the artists/crafts folk who make these pens, does their country of origin make these Japanese? Or the methods, coatings, artwork, styling give a pen a pedigree?

I style and train bonsai trees. It is a distinctly Japanese art practiced world-wide. Trees I have collected in Pennsylvania, trained there, potted in pots thrown in PA might be considered ... Japanese. Maybe the referal is incorrect. Are we in error to refer to stylings or elements of the tree in the Japanese language (the universal language of bonsai)? Is baseball an American sport when played in Japan? Is a french fry.... :happyberet:

Does it matter? Is it reason to ....whats the opposite of "take seriously?" I'm not ready to convict Danitrio of fraud, nor Bexley for using a german nib, or ...

Anyway...viva la difference. J

Using your rational then Visconti should be German?

Who do you think makes nibs for Visconti, Conway Stewart, Stipula, Laban, Bexley, Omas? should I keep going??? They should all be German then?

The fact remains that Visconti and Danitrio will write differently because the nibs are made to Danitrio's specs. They are NOT the same. Anyone who have written with a Visconti AND Danitrio will attest that they do not write the same.

The one Japanes nib that Danitrio made is 24kt #50 size nib for their Yokozuna model. Danitrio did not start out making Japanes pens when the company was established in 1970's, and yes, they are slowly move into Japanese territory. You live in East Asia, you will then know how difficult it is to become a Japanese citizen. It is also not easy to set up a company in Japan.

If you can not take Danitrio seriously, then that's fine. No one says you have to buy their pens. Let's just say I have at one time owning multiple Nakaya, and I now own none. I have my reasons, but you will never see me bad mouthing them knowing what I know. So, buy what makes you happy.

Funny, they don't look German

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Japan%20Trip%202006/tn_DSC_0382.jpg

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Danitrio, according to their representatives at the Itoya Maki-e fair, has one Japan-made nib.

But I cannot take seriously a pen brand that does not say anything about their nibs in their corporate website. Actually, I wonder whether they sell pens or something else--jewels to show off, for instance.

Guess that's your prerogative. I've never heard anything but good about the performance of their nibs, and that's what counts in my book. I'd happily buy them if I could afford them!

...well, okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration - Danitrio does still make pens I can afford, and I'll probably end up with one eventually.

Edited by Silvermink

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Danitrio is an interesting case. When Danitrio were still making lower priced non-urushi or non-maki-e pens, they probably could not be considered Japanese. However, the current evolution of Danitrio is focused entirely on urushi and maki-e pens is much harder to pin down. Except for the nibs, everything of importance is done in Japan by Japanese craftsmen. They have offices in Japan and the work is done in Japan. Thus, the current Danitrio is essentially Japanese.

The issue of the nib is pretty weak in light of the modern pen industry and also historically. Under that view, there are only two modern Italian pen companies since only Aurora and Ancora make their own nibs. Historically, a lot of pen companies (2nd and 3rd tier) during the golden age of fountain pens sourced their nibs from a third party. Take for example the generic warranted nib. Early Japanese pens from companies like SSS (SSS pre-date Pilot) are often found with nibs made in other countries like the US. Modern Japanese pen companies like Eboya and Kato Sheisakuso use German nibs. Given the nature of the modern pen business, it's hard for a new company to start-up and make their own nibs. Even established companies like OMAS outsource their nibs.

A second point which is often overlooked by people is that just because Bock makes a nib for a company does not mean that the nib is a generic Bock nib. The nibs Bock make for other companies are made to that companies specs. A current OMAS nib does not look nor feel like a Visconti nib (shape and grind) even though both are made by Bock. Danitrio Bock nibs do not feel nor resemble a OMAS, Signum, Visconti, Stipula, .....nib.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

A second point which is often overlooked by people is that just because Bock makes a nib for a company does not mean that the nib is a generic Bock nib. The nibs Bock make for other companies are made to that companies specs. A current OMAS nib does not look nor feel like a Visconti nib (shape and grind) even though both are made by Bock. Danitrio Bock nibs do not feel nor resemble a OMAS, Signum, Visconti, Stipula, .....nib.

I've noticed this is something that people frequently fail to grok, so thanks for putting it clearly.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Anyone who have written with a Visconti AND Danitrio will attest that they do not write the same.

TESTIFY!

They do NOT write the same!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Anyone who have written with a Visconti AND Danitrio will attest that they do not write the same.

TESTIFY!

They do NOT write the same!

They indeed do not.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

I am sorry, Kevin, but they look just like any of my neighbours here in Germany! (Just kidding) :roflmho:

Funny, they don't look German

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/Japan%20Trip%202006/tn_DSC_0382.jpg

I hope the guy in the red shirt doesn't get chosen for an "away" team. http://nualeargais.ie/pictiuir/emoticons/wombatShock.gif

looking for a pen with maki-e dancing wombats

Is Ikea Swedish? Technically no, the company is registered in Holland, for tax reasons. But does that make them Dutch? I wouldn't think so.

For those who has access to Japanese Sankei Shinbun (newspaper), there was mention on Danitrio pens (not paid for by Danitrio or Itoya), stating the maki-e design and quality is better than.... (I'll leave it at that).

I am awaiting the article and will post here when I have it... it will be in Japanese though.

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

From what I recall, Danitrio resulted from the merger of two companies, one western and one eastern. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Kevin may clarify.

I remember in the 1980s when people in Detroit had public events where they took sledge hammers to Japanese cars. They implored people to buy American. People pointed out that American cars were made from parts coming from all over the world. So what was American?

Ownership and supply lines can be located. So much for facts. Identity is not a fact.

If you're born in America, you're an American citizen. I was born in a country that considered birth insufficient to citizenship.

Identity has always been a matter of sociology and we betray the province of our beaten paths when we open our mouths. That you consider the nib to be the controlling factor is your shibboleth. Mine is different.

The world of pens is a larger landscape than you can see from one vantage point.

getting off topic here...but did anyone notice the urushi finished vanishing points in the article? :puddle: if my calculations are correct, each one costs about $500 USD, a steal compared to the custom 845? maybe not, but limited to ten? I think the collectors status is well worth the admission price

WoW (world of warcraft)

Edited by buffalowings

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)