Visconti Homo Sapiens

alfredop

Since from yesterday I'm the owner of a beautiful Visconti Homo Sapiens, so as I can contribute to the large discussion I saw these days about the PD nibs: my F nib is neither stiff or flexible, instead it is springy offering some line variation, it is also certainly wet but the line is consistent with the F graduation. On the negative side there is the fact that the nib tines was a little bit misaligned (unfortunately the store where I bought the Visconti does not allow to test the pens), anyway with some effort I was able to realign them, and now the nib is consistent with its name (dreamtouch).

*EDITED* to add a writing sample

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/SNC00030-1.jpg

Ciao

Alfredo

Edited by alfredop

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alfredop

• tanalasta

• Randalf

• jasam

Nevermind.. :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: it looks nice.. do you feel it springy?

Edited by jasam

Yes, below you can see two other writing sample, in the first photo I applied some pressure to both pen (the Omas and the Visconti), and you can see, that although I have to apply a stronger pressure on the Visconti, the line variation is almost equal (probably this is also due to the fact that the Waterman ink is dryer than the Delta ink). Take into account that the Omas Titanium nib has been defined by other FPNers as semi-flexy. The second photo show the some written example without applying pressure.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/SNC00031.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/SNC00032-1.jpg

Alfredo

Bravoooo the second one is just wooooow :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

without preassure is it wet? is it free flowing or does it feel like the parkers 51 rough on paper??

Bravoooo the second one is just wooooow :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

without preassure is it wet? is it free flowing or does it feel like the parkers 51 rough on paper??

Yes it is wet (but not luscious as GhostPlane would say) and free flowing, you can write without feeling the touch with the paper.

Alfredo

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! thw more i hear about this pen the more i think that i will have to buy one.

what do you think about the looks/ feel of the pen. At first i thought it was dull but the more pictures i see the more i think it is a beautifuly simple design. whats the lava material like to live with( keep clean and so on)?

Since from yesterday I'm the owner of a beautiful Visconti Homo Sapiens, so as I can contribute to the large discussion I saw these days about the PD nibs: my F nib is neither stiff or flexible, instead it is springy offering some line variation, it is also certainly wet but the line is consistent with the F graduation. On the negative side there is the fact that the nib tines was a little bit misaligned (unfortunately the store where I bought the Visconti does not allow to test the pens), anyway with some effort I was able to realign them, and now the nib is consistent with its name (dreamtouch).

*EDITED* to add a writing sample

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/SNC00030-1.jpg

Ciao

Alfredo

Congratulations on a beautiful pen. I would agree with you on the characteristics of the nib you've descrbed.

The misalignmnt also highlights my concerns re: Visconti QC. Do they test nibs before they ship them like Aurora, MontBlanc, Dupont just to name a few? Or are we just seeing people report imperfect nibs out of the box that need minor adjustment?

Enjoy your new pen!

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Oout of nearly 50 Visconti now, only 3 have required trips to Italy. Feed problem, stiff piston, feed problem. Rest were nib swaps on new pens.

Wow! thw more i hear about this pen the more i think that i will have to buy one.

what do you think about the looks/ feel of the pen. At first i thought it was dull but the more pictures i see the more i think it is a beautifuly simple design. whats the lava material like to live with( keep clean and so on)?

I think that the pen is beautiful, indeed I appreciate very much the material, also the bronze of the clips which is developing a nice patina. For now I have not problems in keeping the pen clean.

Congratulations on a beautiful pen. I would agree with you on the characteristics of the nib you've descrbed.

The misalignmnt also highlights my concerns re: Visconti QC. Do they test nibs before they ship them like Aurora, MontBlanc, Dupont just to name a few? Or are we just seeing people report imperfect nibs out of the box that need minor adjustment?

Enjoy your new pen!

My nib misalignment needed just a minor adjustement, this is my first Visconti, so as I cannot comment about the QC control at Visconti.

Ciao

Alfredo

Just the material alone is appealing to me. I get sweaty hands, causing slippage on most pens. :( YT

Currently Inked;

MB 149 w/ MB Toffee Brown

Pilot Custom 823 w/ Perle Noire

Noodler's Aerometric w/ Noodler's X-Feather

• 3 months later...

I only wanted to say that Laplace himself would be pleased with your penmanship.

Congratulations on your new pen.

Yes, below you can see two other writing sample, in the first photo I applied some pressure to both pen (the Omas and the Visconti), and you can see, that although I have to apply a stronger pressure on the Visconti, the line variation is almost equal (probably this is also due to the fact that the Waterman ink is dryer than the Delta ink). Take into account that the Omas Titanium nib has been defined by other FPNers as semi-flexy. The second photo show the some written example without applying pressure.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/SNC00031.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/SNC00032-1.jpg

Alfredo

Congratulations!

I've had mine for just under 2 months and love the pen! I have the "M" nib, and it lives up to its "dreamtouch" name. I love the feel of the pen body itself. It's a great fountain pen!

I've had mine for about two months and it really has grown on me. It was one of the naughty ones that sweated ink at the end of the section, but that was tamed with silicon grease (thanks FPN) and it stays dry now. It is the perfect blend of function, style, and interest. Plus it uses the My Pen system for a customized initial or gem on the cap! If only it had a way to view the ink level, it would be perfect.

Royce O'Rourke - Realtor! is now available in

PRINT

I'm still saving up for it. I really think that gold is absolutely tacky, so no gold nibs for me. I also like the material, especially since plastic sections feel slimy after long periods of writing. I hope that the M nib will float on top of some of my GP printer paper, which I'm down to 500 sheets for now.

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

This is really one of the best pen ever made!

I tried to do a review for Penna mags but they dedicated too many pages to Visconti, so ..... I did not send the review with my pics.... :gaah:

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately after a long waiting arrived my wonderful HS, and even if very new (built sept 2010) has the infamous leaking section!!!

Now, I know that I should send back again, but for not waiting other months I would like to try the silicon grease in the nib assembly threads.

Now the question: how to unscrew the nib?? Is tighten by Hulk! Or I need a special tool like for the Montblanc???

Any help would be appreciated!

M.

Memento Audere Semper

Unfortunately after a long waiting arrived my wonderful HS, and even if very new (built sept 2010) has the infamous leaking section!!!

Now, I know that I should send back again, but for not waiting other months I would like to try the silicon grease in the nib assembly threads.

Now the question: how to unscrew the nib?? Is tighten by Hulk! Or I need a special tool like for the Montblanc???

Any help would be appreciated!

M.

Where are you located? If you want, send it to me and I will get it fixed up for you. Also, the nib unit put in could be wrong. The Power filler nib units have a washer seal, the others dont. Some of the pens were leaking because they had the wrong one in...

Either way, I would be more than happy to remove the nib apply the grease and send back. Email me if you at bryant at pentime.com

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Congratulations Alfredo :thumbup:

Although the penshop owner had to twist my arm to try it:

The Homo Sapiens is the best pen I have tried in the last year. I loved the nib and the feel of the pen, and the way the cap locks on the barrel. It is great to see innovative engineering and creative use of beautiful materials.

Wonderful pen. I really want one.

Cheers

greg

Hmm... I don't remember a washer seal in mine ...

Although the silicone grease trick did work.

Visconti do have a special tool which makes life very easy. If you have a strong grip and are careful not to misalign the nib unit, you can DIY. (i.e. grip the nib/feed tightly in your dominant hand and use the other hand to unscrew, being careful not to apply torque in such a way to misaign the feed/tines). I ended up having to realign mine... :embarrassed_smile:

Congratulations on the pen!

And Bry's customer service is tops!

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Hi,

I menaged to unscrew the nib assembly, and, as supposed, the o-ring at the back or any type of gasket are missing.

Is it really necessary? (in case, some knows the dimensions??)

So, finally, how much silicone i have to apply?? There are risks to "suck it" inside the barrel when loading the pen???

M.

P.S. If some one is interestd i can try to make pictures of the inside as far as i can.

Memento Audere Semper