26 Words, Each Beginning With A Consecutive Letter Of The Alphabet.

Beechwood

I was asked to help a 16 year old with an English language examination paper, quite why I should be so blessed is beyond me. The task was to write a piece of English language that began with a consecutive letter of the alphabet and actually made sense.

No easy task.

As in “ A Brown Cow, Daisy, Eats Flowers Growing Higgledy-Piggledy In…..

Can you make your own version?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuddlestack

• Beechwood

• Federalist Pens

• Islabella

A besotted camel departed early Friday going home; I just kept laughing merrily noting one person quickly responded, “See, that undulating voyaging wasteland Xebec yonder zooms”.

My Website

"A beautiful creature develops extravagant forms, growing huge individual jawbones; killing, luring many nocturnal owls; preying quietly, resting silently till universal victory within xerothermic yucky zones"

Phew!!! I'm rather proud of that!

"A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety." Ansel Adams

Very impressive you guys, apart from the word Yucky!

For another exercise try writing a Phun Phonetic Alphabet, for starters...

a aesthetic

b bdellium

c Chanukah

e euphony

My Website

Very impressive you guys, apart from the word Yucky!

hehe..sorry about that..given up on the letter Y. Can always replace it :)

"A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety." Ansel Adams

In a similiar vein, George Perec wrote La Disparition - a novel written in French but without the letter "e". Then Gibert Adair translated it into English (A Void) with the same constraint though both probably without much literary merit! I believe these are called lipograms (Where's the vocabulary thread when you need it. :D)

Nigel

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

In a similiar vein, George Perec wrote La Disparition - a novel written in French but without the letter "e". Then Gibert Adair translated it into English (A Void) with the same constraint though both probably without much literary merit! I believe these are called lipograms (Where's the vocabulary thread when you need it. :D)

Nigel

wow!! i wonder how long the translation took...

All bases considered, doing everything for good habeneros is jeopordising kitchens. Long manifestos' nature of preliminary queues, rather, show that use varies while xeric yams zero.

Makes grammatical sense. Still nonsensical. The first sentence is good, the rest not so much.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I don't think I could make up a sentence that would fit but I'm sure you could find lots of examples on Google. Have you tried that? How would you even go about searching for something like this?

Nigel

wow!! i wonder how long the translation took...

Perhaps an "e"ternity? :embarrassed_smile: :rolleyes:

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

:roflmho: :clap1: Way to go, Donnie!

Mike

Pen Rotation:

Cross Radiance

Waterman Phileas

Parker Sonnet

Waterman Laureat

Alas, boorish Charlie! Don't ever forget great, handsome ideologues justly kill leering Mauritanians nibbling on peanuts. Quit rehashing silly tripe until, verily, we xenophobes yield zeppelins.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

A bright cat, deeply energetic feline Greebo, hating idiots just keeping Lord Moxon's new online place quiz-free, resourcefully set teasers users verified were x-rated yet zippy!

Regrets

Arthur blatantly cheated distributing epistles fountin-pen genii.

Edited by Arthur

"A beautiful creature develops extravagant forms, growing huge individual jawbones; killing, luring many nocturnal owls; preying quietly, resting silently till universal victory within xerothermic yucky zones"

Phew!!! I'm rather proud of that!

You should be!

Kudos to all who succeeded!

Edited by sfs6205

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

A bashful companion does envy foolish guile. However, I just keep laughing. Magnificent, not ordinary, people quest restlessly, striving toward untold victory warily xenophobic, yet zealous.

"Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope."

Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray.

As my wife said to me just the other day...

'Another bloody collection! Don't ever forget getting healthy is justifiably king. Loving me, not overpriced pens, quickly relieves stress. To understand voids we x-ray your zygoma!'

She loves me really

Edited by Makar

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

As my wife said to me just the other day...

'Another bloody collection'! Don't ever forget getting healthy is justifiably king. Loving me, not overpriced pens, quickly relieves stress. To understand voids we x-ray your zygoma!

She loves me really

Very impressive - and it actually makes some sense.

Backwards:

Zaftig Yolanda, xiphoid wavering, voluptuously unveiling two silkily rotund quadriceps, peeling off nebulous mantillas, lovingly kissed Jude's inconstant hand, garnering from every delighted caress blissful accesses.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.