Montblanc 147 Traveller

mackthepen

I have recently acquired a Montblanc 147 at a local live auction, and wonder whether anyone can shed anymore light on it?

It is imprinted with the serial number BP1148835 - does this give any indication of age?

I have found the nib smooth and wet, but very very firm - is this typical of a Montblanc nib?

Anything else interesting about this model?

I am not yet sure whether this will be a pen that I keep for the long term. Straight off it writes as well (and in many cases better) than my other pens, but somehow I find my Pelikan M800 preferable, but experience tells me that I'll need to live with it for a while to see how I get on with it.

Andrew

Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Niskayuna55

• omarcenaro

• meiers

• Dimitrios_P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have recently acquired a Montblanc 147 at a local live auction, and wonder whether anyone can shed anymore light on it?

It is imprinted with the serial number BP1148835 - does this give any indication of age?

I have found the nib smooth and wet, but very very firm - is this typical of a Montblanc nib?

I am not yet sure whether this will be a pen that I keep for the long term. Straight off it writes as well (and in many cases better) than my other pens, but somehow I find my Pelikan M800 preferable, but experience tells me that I'll need to live with it for a while to see how I get on with it.

Andrew

I also have the 147 Traveller, it is one of my favourite writers and is nearly always in my rotation at least 3 times a week.

A very nice 'go to' pen. :)

Hope you find many hours of enjoyment with it.

Kind regards

NIGEL

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

Thanks for your comments Nigel.

Actually when I say a "local auction" it was strictly speaking local to you rather than to me - as I was passing through Lewes last week!

Andrew

Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

Small world, I'm headed off to Lewes in about half hour :ltcapd:

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

Andrew

I also have the 147 Traveller, it is one of my favourite writers and is nearly always in my rotation at least 3 times a week.

A very nice 'go to' pen. :)

Hope you find many hours of enjoyment with it.

Kind regards

NIGEL

I too am a big 147 fan - I have a F nib and and M nib that both see a lot of use. I really like the pen and while many do not like the cartridge pens I happen to be a big fan - especially because I travel a lot.

Enjoy your new 147!

Edited by vettebandit

He who is wise never tries to revise what's past and gone....

I love my 147. I syringe fill one of the carts and enjoy knowing that the spare is ready in case I run dry while I'm away from my office.

I wanted to ask if the 147 is in anyway more prone to leaking than the 146 or 149's are?

A

Are the MB cartridges the same inks as in bottles? I mostly ask because I want to know if blue-black is a permanent iron gall ink because I need a cartridge filled, permanent ink for work and am picking up a 147 for the job. I know I can just refill cartridges, but I dont want to have to refill cartridges too much, I already do that enough for my vanishing point. How many times is too many to fill a single cartridge in terms of stretching out the mouth and risking leakage?

'The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all.'

Is there a converter that would fit/work in the 147, or is it pretty much converter-proof?

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Is there a converter that would fit/work in the 147, or is it pretty much converter-proof?

From what I now the 147 will not take a converter. :gaah:

Bleh. On the plus side, Montblanc is probably my favorite ink brand anyway, but paying the extra for cartridges would gall me. I guess there's always the ol' syringe trick.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Are the MB cartridges the same inks as in bottles?

Different inks for MB carts vs. bottles... http://refills.montblanc.com/

BOOOOOOO! Are any of the MB cartridges permanent?

'The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all.'

Bleh. On the plus side, Montblanc is probably my favorite ink brand anyway, but paying the extra for cartridges would gall me.

...ha ha, you said "gall" :roflmho:

Bleh. On the plus side, Montblanc is probably my favorite ink brand anyway, but paying the extra for cartridges would gall me.

...ha ha, you said "gall" :roflmho:

...but not iron gall me, because the iron gall B-B isn't available in cartridges. :P

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

I wanted to ask if the 147 is in anyway more prone to leaking than the 146 or 149's are?

A

Anyone?

I have to say that my 147 is one of my two favorite pens! And it does travel well!

Writes very smoothly and predictably even on inferior papers. I can write pages of journal entries without becoming weary.

Just the right size and you gotta love that leather fold over case with the storage for cartridges.

My MB 147 Traveler traveling with me in London last year!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4640681610_e3be2949a1_b.jpg

Edited by Bisquitlips

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 1 month later...

Some questions about the traveller, please.

What makes it a traveller? The case? The cartridge fill, safer for travel on airliners and jouncing around in general?

Is it the same pen as the 144? the 146? If not, what are the differences?

What makes it worth the extra money?--On ebay a premium of hundreds. Rarity?

Is the pen labeled "Traveller" somewhere?

Thanks.

Edited by Mr Blifil

"That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field--ease of use." Jack White, in It Might Get Loud

The pen is the same size as the 146. The Traveler utilizes cartridges instead of a piston reservoir. The pen actually holds an extra cartridge in the barrel, and comes with a case which holds the pen and six spare cartridges. I suppose the use of cartridges and the supplied case is what makes it a Traveler.

As far as cost goes I suppose the extra cost of the leather case would add to the bottom line, but it should not be that much. I would guess there are more 146 models in the world, so maybe they are limited in the auction market. However, I think MB still sells them new, so they can be found.

Edited by BarryLee

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

- Milton Friedman

Thank you. I have a cartridge-fill 144 on the way to be used as a travel pen. It's small, and though I don't usually post, I think by posting it will work for me. Since my hands are quite large the 149 is perfect; unposted the 146 is marginal. I don't like the balance of either of those pens posted, but I think the 144 posted might be all right. I think a compact pen is appropriate for travel, though it certainly isn't a big issue. And, there are many ways to carry extra cartridges.

The pen is the same size as the 146. The Traveler utilizes cartridges instead of a piston reservoir. The pen actually holds an extra cartridge in the barrel, and comes with a case which holds the pen and six spare cartridges. I suppose the use of cartridges and the supplied case is what makes it a Traveler.

As far as cost goes I suppose the extra cost of the leather case would add to the bottom line, but it should not be that much. I would guess there are more 146 models in the world, so maybe they are limited in the auction market. However, I think MB still sells them new, so they can be found.

"That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field--ease of use." Jack White, in It Might Get Loud