• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cuchullan

• Gloucesterman

• Strombomboli

• Stompie

You can get a nice A4 or A3 notebook in ASDA for just £4 or £3 respectively.There are lined ones or squared paper ones and they are reasonably FP friendly, although I havent written in my squared paper one yet.I dont think they have blank ones but squared might suit.They are more like a Moleskine but I like them.Of course if you are in the USA you might try Walmart, which now owns ASDA. Good luck.

When I saw the thread's title, I was expecting an Atheist's Bible.

Ah, now I was thinking you'd use it to design your own religion. In mine, chocolate would be one of the sacraments.

looking for a pen with maki-e dancing wombats

Allan products are amazing. I have 3 Bibles that have been made by them! High quality products!

I'm with everyone on the 'Journal' deal. That constantly irks me. Do these people also put WALLET on their billfolds?

"Which journal is it?"

"It's the one that says, 'BMF' on the cover."

-MJ

Samantha Carter - You spent seven years on MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum, build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud! You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimmick. Now you're Mr MacUseless. Dear God! I'm stuck on a glacier with MacGyver!

Edward : Say it... Out loud...

Bella : Vampire...

Rifftrax: Close. I'm a Metropire.

But think of the reasons for the origin of the need for "journal' on the front cover! Remember when everything was recorded by hand and one's desk would have many identical looking journals and ledgers of sailing records or births and deaths or prescriptions or guild members or stock or ... [insert favorite interest here eg small shiny buttons]. 'Journal' provided an easy clue as to its contents.

Remember, also, that Journal, Diary et al mean 'daily record', again reflecting their original function. <br><br>

Imagine the poor priest who thinks he is reading from his sermon notebook, only to find he had picked up the journal by mistake because the word wasn't printed on the cover!

Anyway, I think I need to buy one, or two....

The "Journal" on the front of the journal really takes away from the value of the product for me. Wish it was blank!

Especially odd, as in the UK the word 'Journal' doesn't quite strike the right note. Although of course a perfectly proper word in every sense, 'Diary' is the more usual form over here. Anyway I can put up with Journal, - it's those lines!! Blank is the way to go.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I know its a generalisation but a lot of Scottish people-not Scotch,please thats the drink-do seem to write small.Not me, yo. u understand.I am from Ireland-from the holy land of irelandMy lady friends@ writing needs a microscope, but she does not use a FP, and doesnt see what the fuss is.Poor demented soul!The journal is lovely and neat writing looks very historical in it althought I still cant do a decent copperplate!

• 1 month later...

My Journals arrived the other week. Excellent service. And, yes, cuchullan, the paperwork was written in a very small hand!

So, all my F and EF pens are back in action, and I'm doing the very neat writing to match the Journal's aesthetic and it's very small lines. They are beautiful books: the paper is thin and writing does show through with wider nibs and stronger ink colours, but if you write on both sides, it doesn't really show through. The paper feels and sounds [!] crinkly onion skinish, I suppose... The leather binding and end cover pages are of high quality.

It definitely reminds me of some of the Bibles owned by members of the family, and it reminds others of Bibles, too. That is nice, but it also makes me feel obliged to write worthy offerings, something I am not always capable of!

A very enjoyable Journal that one wants to write in as much as possible!

Some questions for anyone who has experience with Allen's Journals:

Does the binding allow for flattening? How FP friendly is the paper? Bleedthroughs? Feathering?

Actually, the 4mm lines might be good for me to use as guides. I could use the first 4mm line for miniscules and the line at 8mm for majuscules.

These look very well finished in the photos.

I think I shall hold off for the blank pages.....

One would think that it is easier and cheaper to produce ones without lines :headsmack:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Some questions for anyone who has experience with Allen's Journals:

Does the binding allow for flattening? How FP friendly is the paper? Bleedthroughs? Feathering?

Actually, the 4mm lines might be good for me to use as guides. I could use the first 4mm line for miniscules and the line at 8mm for majuscules.

These look very well finished in the photos.

Take a look at this thread for discussions of most of these questions.

Ryan.

Papier Plus in Paris does them as well. They are very beautiful but not FP friendly.

They have blank pages and gorgeous geometric covers.

Bible Journal

Edited by ozwill45

Thanks for the feedback and links. Too bad they don't put something like Clairefontaine inside the beautiful cover.

But if they did (use Clairefontaine paper), you'd lose the benefits of that lovely thin paper. Yes, the covers are lovely but it is the combination of cover and paper that makes these so good. Now that the new 3rd generation is out with a slightly larger top margin and that red-under-gold edging to the page, I need an excuse to buy!

I'm using Montblanc blue-black in a Waterman W5 which is writing very wet but without bleeding or feathering and minimal show through - I write easily on both sides of the paper.

(I used to use Diamine Registrars ink in my Allen, but was getting some clogging in this old pen leading to intermittent flow problems hence the change of ink.)

Chris

R L Allan and Sons are well known for their bible (re)binding. I have a soft (pun not intended) spot for goatskin leather bindings as they feel very nice in the hand, especially when they are done with a leather lining (no horrible cardboard inside) and it opens up to fall nicely into your hands when you open the volume.

The only problem I would have is that I would feel terribly guilty if I had to doodle in one of these journals. But they would complement very nicely my collection of calfskin and goatskin bibles that I already have.

Bible rebinding, eh? That's interesting because I have an old copy of an original Greek text of the New Testament which is in a sorry state. The spine and cove are in poor condition. So I might drop them an e-mail to see how much a rebind will cost.

I know that bible paper tends to be durable, but isn't it going to be too thin for use with anything but a fine nib? I'd imagine that fountain pen writing would tend to show through.

Chris B.

Edited by Ipno Tizer

But if they did (use Clairefontaine paper), you'd lose the benefits of that lovely thin paper. Yes, the covers are lovely but it is the combination of cover and paper that makes these so good.

Exactly.

Moleskine to Allan's = Apples to Oranges.

The Allan's isn't a better Moleskine or a Moleskine clone, it's something else entirely. It's got a different (and frankly, more limiting) feature set, but if you're looking for those features, it's fantastic.

Ryan.

Papier Plus in Paris does them as well. They are very beautiful but not FP friendly.

They have blank pages and gorgeous geometric covers.

Bible Journal

Ah, so close! Nary a "Journal" imprint in sight. Alas, the paper...

R.