"Gold Country" (California) Pen Store?

a2z

Greetings!! I dont know whether I'm posting this in the correct forum...and I know this is a long shot....but I have to go from Napa, through Sacramento, to Yuba City,California....and am wondering whether anyone knows of any fountain pen/ink sellers in the vicinity??? Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• rsq001

• jbb

• RUGMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have not found any pen stores in Sacramento. There is a stationery store that's okay, but no pens. I've got their card at home if you want the name and contact info. I believe the closest store that carries pens would be Castle in the Air in Berkley, but that's the other direction. There are also other places in the Bay Area.

Kirk

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the low-down in Sacramento. University Art Center on J St at 26th sells Retro 51 and THINK fountain pens, but never has much of a selection. The only bottled fountain pen ink I've seen there is Pelikan Blue-black. And it is rarely in stock. (UAC's other Sacramento store on Marconi just east of Fulton, across from Town & Country Village, never has fps or fp ink. Don't bother.) Grebitus & Sons Jewelers carries some Visconti, Pelikan, Graf von Faber-Castell, and Porsche fountain pens. It carries Pelikan bottled ink in black only. It also carries Pelikan's overpriced twin, Graf von Faber-Castell, which it might have in blue. The sales people at the downtown store on L and 10th don't know their arses from their elbows. Stay away. The fountain pen guy is at the other store in Lyon Square on Fair Oaks Blvd. at Munro. He isn't an expert but he knows a little.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: University Art Center on Marconi carries Pelikan Black and Blue-black but currently has only Black on the shelf. Art Ellis Art Supplies on J Street carries Pelikan Black and Royal Blue but has neither one in stock. Call first.

Bottom Line: If you want bottled ink but don't want Parker Quink or Pelikan, don't stop in the Sacramento area.

• 1 month later...

Bottom Line: If you want bottled ink but don't want Parker Quink or Pelikan, don't stop in the Sacramento area.

Sad story.

Edited by rsq001

"Who is John Galt?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Double posted I can edit this one but can't figure out how to delete.

Edited by rsq001

"Who is John Galt?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

Having been a former Grebitus & Sons employee at the Fair oaks store, I have to conclude you're right about pen knowledge. I was there when they FINALLY installed a few lines. Pelikan, Graf von Faber Castell, Delta, Waterford.

The philosophy of the company's buying was not to have much stock on hand! It's understandable when you are testing the waters but for almost two years I asked them to get more lines of pens. Our customers were asking about them. When they were finally in stock, I went through my client book and within two weeks had sold 1/3 of our inventory. The clientele was old money who appreciated fine pens and new money who liked them as well.

The selling atmosphere sucked because most everyone there wanted to show that they were "THE BEST". I can attest that knowledge in the pen area is sparse. Occasionally I suggested that the staff read a pen world or stylus to glean some info on the how, and what and why of this industry. Ready as I was to give out info, nobody asked very much.

In reality, in Sacramento could have been the premier place to go for pens and accessories but when you have your head in the sand it's hard to go forward.

Sorry to be long winded here.

LEE

Here's the low-down in Sacramento. University Art Center on J St at 26th sells Retro 51 and THINK fountain pens, but never has much of a selection. The only bottled fountain pen ink I've seen there is Pelikan Blue-black. And it is rarely in stock. (UAC's other Sacramento store on Marconi just east of Fulton, across from Town & Country Village, never has fps or fp ink. Don't bother.) Grebitus & Sons Jewelers carries some Visconti, Pelikan, Graf von Faber-Castell, and Porsche fountain pens. It carries Pelikan bottled ink in black only. It also carries Pelikan's overpriced twin, Graf von Faber-Castell, which it might have in blue. The sales people at the downtown store on L and 10th don't know their arses from their elbows. Stay away. The fountain pen guy is at the other store in Lyon Square on Fair Oaks Blvd. at Munro. He isn't an expert but he knows a little.

Lee Rappeport

• 6 years later...

Any updates to this post? Are there still no places to purchase nice pens near Sacramento?

• 2 weeks later...

Grebitus & Sons jewelers at Lyon Square on Fair Oaks Blvd. and Munroe stills sells high-end pens, as far as I know. I haven't been there in a few years. Another of its stores opened in Folsom at the Palladio shopping center. That store sells some high-end pens, including Visconti and, I think, Aurora, and probably Pelikan and Delta. I bought a bottle of Aurora Black there a couple of months ago. It also had Visconti Black and Pelikan 4001 Black, maybe more. I was planning to make another trip there, to scout around and take inventory, but I haven't gotten around to it. When I do make the trip I'll report back here.

Edited by Bookman