FORD's PATENT PEN - Restored Vintage Classic

mr goldfink

This is a real treat of a pen, a Ford's Patent Pen and a nice example at that.

This pen has something of a cult status and is a holy grail for design heads and those who like clever engineering. It is well known to be England's first fully ink visible pen being launched in 1931.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f181/dasdaman/shortford002.jpg

There is a wonderful write up on the Ford Patent Pen on Laurence Oldfield's website. Link here: http://www.penpractice.com/page10.htm

The Ford is impressive in various respects:-

1. The syringe filling system is one of the most efficient I have come across. Some people equate the design to the Onoto but it is distinct. (See Laurence Oldfield's article on the link above for details.) You unscrew the barrel to reveal the long perspex inner barrel (which explains why the pen is so big and fat (excuse the pun if you say this out fast)) to which a plunger is fitted. With a few strokes of the plunger the chamber fills with ink and the capacity is quite unlike most pens out there.

This is an early model as can be identified by the tinted ink chamber. (The later models had clear perspex chambers.) This pen has been professionally RESTORED and works like new with incredible suction. There are not many people who can fix one of these so this will save you much time and expense. Filling the Ford with water and then hosing the water out has given me much pleasure. I'm easily pleased but then I am sure you will enjoy doing the same!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f181/dasdaman/shortford003.jpg

2. It is large and solidly made. Even this model, the smaller version, measures 5 inches when capped. The knurled hard rubber twisting knob and clip screw are charming.

The pen is in excellent condition with no cracks or hairlines to the hard rubber parts though the cap lip appears to have been shortened slightly, albeit quite professionally. The barrel imprint has some signs of wear but is still clearly visible. It is fitted with its original Medium 14kt FORD nib with a stubby tip, typical of the Ford nibs. It is imprinted Ford 428 MILL 14 Carat.It is a smooth and fairly flexible writer.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f181/dasdaman/shortford004.jpg

I know that the Ford will be a pen you will positively love having in your collection, a pen that you rarely ever see on offer! Get this one while you can!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f181/dasdaman/shortford001.jpg

I'm looking for $395 plus shipping for this working piece of English history.

Cheers

MG

Edited by mr goldfink

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr goldfink

• Rotring1

• waishiu

• markiv

Wow! Guys, I have the intermediate size sent for restoration but trust me when I say this is a solid pen. If you are a interested in complex and wonderful filling mechanisms this is the pen for you. Good luck with the sale \0/

Will reduce to $375 inclusive .... this is a very good deal for a restored Ford !!

I decided to go with the pen on mr goldfink's blog, so this pen is still available. So a free bump for a fine pen!

This lovely Ford is indeed still available (but the larger one on my Blog has been snapped up). Thanks Rotring1 !!

Is this the shortest Ford, the lady version?

And is it the same diameter as the longer pen you earlier had on your website?

Edited by waishiu

Pens in rotation: Parker 51 DJ, Wyvern herringbone w/ deco band

Pens looking to buy: Lamy Dialog 3 XF, Swan Visofil V Series

Pens I'm selling: Pelikan 140 OM, Lamy Al-Star M, Hero 100 Flighter F

Yes, this pen is 5 inches long and its a 1/4 inch shorter than the one I had listed on my Blog previously. It's a very good price for a restored Ford and it's just waiting to be snapped up by some lucky pen lover  !

This pen is on hold. I have one other virtually identical pen. Get in while it's still available. 

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files