Best Ballpoint

what about higher end ballpoints/rollerball alternatives to a fountain pen?

The Montblanc rollerballs? Anyone here use them?

What other stuff out there like that?

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• Kugelschreiber

• 51ISH

• Noto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...Caran d'Ache Metal pens ...(the smoothest click mechanism I have ever felt).

:thumbup: The Caran d'Ache click mechanism makes the Parker Jotter clicker feel clunky, even the premium Jotter.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

...Caran d'Ache Metal pens ...(the smoothest click mechanism I have ever felt).

:thumbup: The Caran d'Ache click mechanism makes the Parker Jotter clicker feel clunky, even the premium Jotter.

I agree re: the CdA click mechanism. The Faber-Castel click mechanism on their Grip and their Basic is pretty good as well. That said, I never worry about the Jotter when it's in my pants pocket because it's kind of a firm clunky.

CFTPM

Isn't that kinda like asking about the best second rate product? :embarrassed_smile:

Honestly, I have to agree with this sentiment.

Sorry, but I do not understand.. please explain...

I don't know about JLeeper, but basically, asking what company makes the best ballpoint is like asking what company makes the best pencil eraser. They're a generic, mass-produced product with no difference at all between one or the other apart from weight and appearance. And certainly not in performance.

I use fountain pens because I like some of them, but for most writing purposes I believe ballpoints are more convenient and useful. The ballpoint is a newer technology. A convenience item in a fast-paced world. The cell phone and computer render writing just about unneeded.

You can argue about this until the cows come home, but if you are going to argue that fountain pens are a better technology, you are on your own.

I am starting to really like the Cross Select Tip with their big ball point refill. The Parker Big Red is also a favorite of mine. I have liked the size and broad refill in Montblanc's 164 for many years. Lately I have found 2 of my old Parker 51s that stay wet indefinitely uncapped. So, even that sixty-plus year-old technology kind of holds a useful place, even if their technology level is outmoded by electronic communication. In business it seems nobody wants to use paper except holdouts and paper manufacturers. Paper is just too expensive in a time when every cost is scrutinized.

So, which outmoded technology is superior to the other, ballpoints or fountain pens? We use them because we like them for reasons of our own.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Lamy Dialog 1.

There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.

-- Marcus Junius Brutus

My $.02:

IMO, The top refills overall in most of the OP's categories are: USA-made Cross, Papermate Lubriglide, and Caran d'Ache Goliath. For gel refills, I believe the Parker Gel, UniBall Signo 207, Pentel EnerGel and Pilot G2 all write equally well (but each with its' own limitation), and I use all mine often.

To the OP: There is no single "best" in ballpoints, fountain pens, pencils or advice. All of the referrals are excellent. Check out any of the choices given above, see which one you like, and try it. If it doesn't satisfy, try another. Soon you'll have a collection. And then the fun begins...

Edited by WriteAway

anything that takes a Parker gel refill.

Don

Letter writing is the only device for combining

solitude with good company.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan of the Pilot/Namiki's Ageless/Timeline/Future series ballpoint and Gel pens. The ballpoint takes standard Dr. Grip refills. However, Jet Pens sells both a 0.7mm and a 1.0 mm refill pilot makes for the ballpoint pen. The ink is smooth and does not skip. I especially like the pen's double twist mechanism.

The Gel pens can be hard to find, but are worth it!

Just get a Jetstream. They write smoother than an FP and they're cheap, too.

A big plus 1 on Jetstream.

Smooth,permanent, and very fast drying (I'm a lefty)

Yes Jetstream is awesome, that's my favorite cheap pen right now. It writes dark and wet like a roller or gel, doesn't skip, starts easy.

What are some of the best ballpoint pen?

Zebra F-402

In catagories of:

1. Smoothness

Fine (.7mm) consistent smooth line, no dust build up or blotching

2. Ink capacity

Good

3. Reliability

Very reliable, works first time, all the time

4. Appearance

Very Good, simple stainless steel and black rubber grip.

5. Overall

Excellent. I've been using only F-402's for over 20 years, and keep several, stocked at all times. The best ball point I have ever used. Good weight and balance. Light enough to use for hours. The clicker is positive and consistent. Fancy Cross pens are for looks, Zebras are for use.

Usus io. No moving parts, held together by magnets. Truly a stunning pen, coming in at just over £30.

Here's a link to their page (in German) - but widely available on Amazon and ebay.

http://www.usus-berlin.de/index.php

I've handled one, but don't own one yet. Top quality workmanship.

No question: the Fisher Bullet.

+1 I keep one in my pocket all the time, which I'm not quite brave enough to try with an FP. I love it for situations where a fountain pen isn't practical.

Edited by HildyZ

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

Why not purchase a Roller Ball? It's smoother than any BP, and the strokes have more character and beauty than a BP. :thumbup:

I picked up a Pilot Axiom recently (in matte black) and was pleasantly surprised with it. The pen itself is comfortable to hold and nicely balanced. I can't speak for the shiny finishes but the matte black finish is not slippery at all. It uses Pilot Dr. Grip Center of Gravity refills, which are reasonably smooth (similar to Caran D'ache refills). Well worth the $20 cost (in my opinion)...

All right I found another one today that I'm really impressed with. Retro 51 with an Easy Flow 9000 refill.

I don't know about JLeeper, but basically, asking what company makes the best ballpoint is like asking what company makes the best pencil eraser. They're a generic, mass-produced product with no difference at all between one or the other apart from weight and appearance. And certainly not in performance.

Perhaps you're simply not discerning enough to appreciate the differences in performance? :)

I agree, stuartk, I certainly find distinct differences among BPs, RBs, MPs, and porous tips, and I'm glad I do. Sure, I like FPs best of all, but, on some days I pick-up an alternative to my FPs and don't try to over think why.

CFTPM

Perhaps you're simply not discerning enough to appreciate the differences in performance? :)

Pencil erasers also differ in how long they keep. I've found the best erasers to be the white ones that come with Bic mechanical pencils, but they leave the paper greasy... so I switched to Faber-Castell, with almost the same performance and none of the downsides... bringing the average performance to slightly over the Bic, at some eye-watering cost for specialty erasers. :headsmack:

The Lamy refills are also pretty nice, and they make some pretty classy pens, too. Still, there's something seriously serious about a Space Pen. Assuming you get a refill that doesn't blob up when not used, anyway.

I like the space pen refills, but I can't stand the ink blob, I quit using them because of that.