Best Ballpoint

I keep one handy. The smoothest ball point refill I've used is the Montegrappa Gel or "Super Bowl" Parker Style refill.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• Kugelschreiber

• 51ISH

• Noto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No question: the Fisher Bullet.

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

Vintage Cross Century (new ones are junk), Parker 75s and Caran d' Ache Ecridor are all great - but what will really determine the performance you get out of a bp is the refill. Try getting a BP that will accept Parker gel refills - in my experience these are best.

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

My favorite ballpoint refills are Mont Blanc & Caran D'Ache, but only the broad width. Once the ink flow is started, the broads write a fine line with very little pressure and a darker, wider line with heavier pressure. The large ball allows the pen to be held at a relatively low angle. Very long write out if you don't press hard all the time. You get some of the advantages of a fountain pen but without the blobbing and smearing that make me dislike many of the gels and rollerballs.

I think the Mont Blanc refill is slightly smoother, but the Caran d'Ache Metal pens are my ballpoint of choice because they're much cheaper but very well built (the smoothest click mechanism I have ever felt).

Every doctrine that discards doubt is a form of fanaticism and stupidity.

-- Jorge Luis Borges

For a BP, I really like the Parker Duofold. I like the heft which I think helps the BP write better. Smooth.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

My favorites are the Montblanc 164, Ariel Kullock's fantasy 51 ballpoint (like a 51 fountain pen with a section made for a ballpoint) and the Parker Jotters. I like these because the size is large enough to not cramp my fingers. I used to like the Cross Century (I), but eventually found them to be too small. I prefer all of these with broad refills because they seem easier to control--seems like the broad refill has more friction or something.

I recently acquired a Waterman Hemisphere ballpoint with broad refill, and it's quite good. While it seems a little thin, it does have a nice feel.

Some of the Parker cap-actuated ballpoints are also good. I do have a 51 ballpoint that has the drawback of the cap coming apart.

Overall, my favorites are the MB 164 and Kullock fantasy 51 ballpoint. They feel the best without being too overly ornate.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I've worked for a few US government labs, and the Skilcraft ballpoints (and later rollerballs) were indeed much better than I might have expected. I've never seen them outside a government office, though. Next chance I get, I'll, er, "stock up".

I have some Skillcraft ballpoints, which is identical to Pentel RSVP except with a bold tip. I'll guess it was outsourced to Pentel.

http://www.pentel.com/catalog_product.php?id=85

+1

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

What are some of the best ballpoint pen?

In catagories of:

1. Smoothness

2. Ink capacity

3. Reliability

4. Appearence

5. Overall

I'm kind of surprised that the Monteverde Mega Ink Ball has not been mentioned. I don't have one but seems it would be good and smooth with a large ink capacity. I don't hate the appearance. The yellow, red, yellow/black, and red/black are attractive to my eye.

Jetstreams work fine on glossies, where no other rollerball will.

I like the Fisher space pen refill. Seem to write forever, and the ink sticks to anything, albeit, not very smoothly. Best "in a pinch" pen.

Wait, really? The space pen? It's been a few years since I've used one. Last time I used one it was upside-down under water. I guess that's probably not the best condition to judge a pen.

|| Lamy Safari (F) || Parker 51 (M) || J. Herbin Violette Pensee || Rhodia No. 12 ||

Ballpoints?

What are these "ballpoints" of which you speak? If it's a ball, how can it be pointy?

Waterman, their refills last forever

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

I like the Montblanc 164 ballpoint pen. A true classic! The cheap Jetstream pens are wonderful writers, but if you want something fancy-looking the Jetstream pens are not for you! :)

I love my Papermate lubriglide refill, so smooth. Parker I find are inconsistent and usually poor, lack pigment and require too much force. I have a couple of gel refills coming but if I wanted regular ballpoint ink would definitely go for Fisher or other compatible. I'm also waiting for my Cross Century Classic to come back from repair for which I've still got a bunch of made in Ireland blue and made in USA black refills left. They are smooth and date from the 80s. I figured it was a pen for life and bought plenty of refills. Nothing gets less expensive just cheaper :ninja: .

Born British, English by the Grace of God.

What are some of the best ballpoint pen?

In catagories of:

1. Smoothness

2. Ink capacity

3. Reliability

4. Appearence

5. Overall

Ballograf Epoca

Jetpens has the newer Power Tank metal pens with the newer refills. The ink is much darker.

For my usage, the Space Pen is the best. However, that is based on how I use ballpoints. The only time I will skip out on a fountain pen would be when the usage of one would not be practical or a good idea. Such as Hiking, Hunting, Ect.

I think the key word here is how your going to use the BP. In construction were I need to be able to write on anything and everything, I like the Zebra pens. Writes well and consistently on everything I need it too, (invoices, estimates, lumber, and sheet metal). I wish the ink was darker, but I'm just using this as a writing stick that never needs to be sharpened.

I do like the look of the Pelikan Track ballpoint. Anyone have an opinion how well it would hold up to my use (rough)?

Simple Thoughts from a Simple Bear

Still think Cross makes the best ball points. I tried a parker and Montblanc at a pen shop, and the ball point wiggles and flexes in the barrel when you apply pressure. My friends Sheaffer isn't much better. I have a bunch of old USA made Cross ballpoints and bunch new ones and they seem about the same, rock solid. That's what have always made me come back to the Cross ballpoints over the years. I have Cross pens all over the house and in my car too. The one in my car after many months of extreme temp variations etc, writes rightway without skipping. It's also important that the refill is easy to acquire without having to special order it or trek to a specialty pen store to find. Cross refills are probably the most readily available refills anywhere, at least in Canada and the US. I think it's only brand that comes with a lifetime warranty. And they make nice big fat ball points too like the Apogee with rich lacquer finishes that are breathtaking.